Sounds like starter motor

mlan12

Original poster
Mar 30, 2015
I own a 2004 Envoy, with the six cylinder engine. When the engine is started and shut off almost immediately there is a sound that resembles the starter motor still running, but slowing down slowly. I was told this sound seems to be coming from the left side of the engine. The condition was noted when the car was started for the first time in the morning. My wife left something in the house and shut the engine off and notice the sound. A friend also heard this sound and confirmed it sounds like a fan slowing down and stopping. The engine starts fine, all electrical is working fine. Can anyone offer a suggestion on what is making this sound. Thank you. If indeed it is the starter, the bendix seems to be disengaged after the engine starts.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
SAIS pump/vacuum? It is under the driver's seat position, underneath the truck, mounted to the frame. When they go/start to go, they will make noise when started cold. You will be able to hear it without shutting the engine off it is the pump. If it is still good, that may be the normal sound of it winding down when the power is cut to it and you wouldn't necessarily hear anything when you first start the truck.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
SAIS pump/vacuum? It is under the driver's seat position, underneath the truck, mounted to the frame.

It is actually mounted on the engine just above the exhaust manifold.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Um...no...the pump itself is under the driver's seat position. The solenoid is up on the exhaust. Having changed mine numerous times, I became all too familiar with it...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah. Not having one I ASS-u-MEd that was the motor. Regardless, it should be deleted and the codes removed via a tune. Just a failure prone PITA system.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Heh....yep! Got a PCM coming to me that I'm either going to get tuned or else use as a swap while I get mine tuned. SAIS delete, fan codes delete, cut the torque management...all on the list. Already got the blocking plate, too! :smile:

Er...sorry for the quasi-thread-hijack!

Chris

mlan12

Original poster
Mar 30, 2015
C ya thank you for the information. Had a chance to check this for myself today. You were right on with your diagnosis. Also I do not hear the pump unless I get right down on the ground next to the running board when the engine is running. As of now the check engine light is not on. I cannot replace any parts for a couple of weeks, so will see what develops from here.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
You are probably OK. It doesn't sound like it is bad yet. My co-worker had his go out and he drove it for a while not knowing what it was. He was telling me his truck was making a weird noise on cold start so we went out at lunch and he started it. It was whining/roaring like crazy. His check engine light would come on about every third start. Of course, it wasn't on then, but the sound was enough of a diagnosis!

If you can only hear it while below the truck, it is probably normal. I can hear mine in the winter for about 20-40 seconds after a cold start then it spins down or slows down and I don't hear it. I'll try to stick my head under my truck just to see if I can hear the normal operating sound.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online