Sound Clips / Identify This Noise Sub-forum?

WarGawd

Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
As a relatively new owner (July '12) of an Envoy, I've never had a vehicle like it before. My last vehicle was a '98 Montana, which lasted me nearly 200k km until a bizarre camshaft snap that rendered it not worth repairing. I knew that vehicle inside out, and I knew immediately just from any change in sound of operation when something went wrong and what it was.

Now even after having driven it 5500 km, I'm still new to the Envoy. I don't know it anywhere near as well, and don't know anyone else in my small town that has one for me to make comparisons with. I am beginning to discover that despite my original impressions that this vehicle runs awesome, there are some noises that I don't think are "normal". Also when one noise masks another (IE a bad idler pulley making noise can sound like a whiny transmission) it gets harder to diagnose the problem(s).

Just wondering what everyone else thinks of a dedicated section to collect soundbites of known problems ("This is what a bad idler pulley sounds like...", "This is the sound of faulty fan clutch..." etc)?

Cheers
WarGawd

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Interesting idea........now where in the world would we locate a volunteer whose passion it is to have such a summary thread so we can make it a stickie? Hmmmmmmm?

:wink:

Seriously, it would be a great idea. The volunteers are already falling behind content management that we wanted to have in the "How-To" sections. But posting useful things and so forth is how new potential staff members come to the attention of the current staff. We need more unpaid apprentices to join the unpaid staff. :biggrin:

That's how it works on the non-profit (not Vertical Scope-style) enthusiast sites. :thumbsup:

WarGawd

Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Hey roadie -

I saw your comment a few minutes ago, been mulling over the idea. I could see myself volunteering some time to that topic, but with working 6 nights a week and having 5 kids that take up a good chunk of any free time I DO find, my fear would be that growth and organization of the topic might be slow and lagging behind a bit. OTOH, with a limited user base and likely even more limited number of those that can/will find time to make submissions, maybe that works just fine...talk to me more about what you think it entails ( I don't wanna be another roadie with a zillion posts)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online