sorry about this but P1481 code

jimtrailblazer

Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I tried searching the search button.
but it keeps coming up no post found,
I know there are threads out there with this issue sorry for reposting ..

I changed my clutch fan about a year or so ago
now the check engine light came on with a 1481 code ...
I got the fan from dorman do these wiring harness go bad also?
I tried pugging and unplugging
are there fuses for these things? under the hood ? under the dash?
we had a really cold spell and that's when it seemed like this all happened ,I mean who knows right ..
I would hate to pull this thing out and it be good and its something else ?
thanks in advance
jim.....

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
jimtrailblazer said:
I tried searching the search button.
but it keeps coming up no post found,

jim.....
Try the search with P1481

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
The P1481 says the PCM does not see any movement of the fan, the fan speed (hall sensor) circuit is open or shorted. The sensor circuit is shown below needs 5 volts from the PCM and two lines going back to PCM . That fan relay in the fuse box is a solid state device, not a mechanical relay.. Does your fan start grabbing and increasing speed at 210*, that would say the fuse, relay and clutch are working.

Noname_zpsf9151ea8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
dup post

jimtrailblazer

Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
well first let me thank you for the help....
I got the check engine light scanned and it said that, so I looked and the fan seems to spinning fine,when she gets home tonight I will check when its cold and warm up, so I should hear it start turning harder when it hits 210? so there is a relay and a fuse? and both are in under the hood fuse block?
bobdec said:
The P1481 says the PCM does not see any movement of the fan, the fan speed (hall sensor) circuit is open or shorted. The sensor circuit is shown below needs 5 volts from the PCM and two lines going back to PCM . That fan relay in the fuse box is a solid state device, not a mechanical relay.. Does your fan start grabbing and increasing speed at 210*, that would say the fuse, relay and clutch are working.

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
Jim, you Pm'd me with a question on where I got my info: Getting a bit technical, but I'll answer here so it can be shared.. First I'll define OBD2 PCM mode6 tests as used for emissions and related component verification and operation. Below is a URL to a list of GM mode6 diagnostic tests from 1995 to 2013. Click the URL, then in the left box, scroll to your year and click "Engine' or 'Transmission" (for this DTC scroll to 2002 and click engine). Following step applies to 1995-2005 ears only (06 and up are a bit different). On next screen scroll to 'Trucks' and click your engine model (4.2L LL8). That will take you to the Diagnostics list, scroll to find your DTC or use the browser search to find DTC1481. Note!! the data, descriptions and comments can get technical as these lists are geared for those familiar with powertrain /engine management controls not the general public.
http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/ .

jimtrailblazer

Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
bobdec said:
Jim, you Pm'd me with a question on where I got my info: Getting a bit technical, but I'll answer here so it can be shared.. First I'll define OBD2 PCM mode6 tests as used for emissions and related component verification and operation. Below is a URL to a list of GM mode6 diagnostic tests from 1995 to 2013. Click the URL, then in the left box, scroll to your year and click "Engine' or 'Transmission" (for this DTC scroll to 2002 and click engine). Following step applies to 1995-2005 ears only (06 and up are a bit different). On next screen scroll to 'Trucks' and click your engine model (4.2L LL8). That will take you to the Diagnostics list, scroll to find your DTC or use the browser search to find DTC1481. Note!! the data, descriptions and comments can get technical as these lists are geared for those familiar with powertrain /engine management controls not the general public.
http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/ .

yeah its over my head for sure haha!
well I looked at the wires they seemed fine ..
I checked the fuse that was ok didn't see it burnt..
the relay im not sure how to check..
so I ran the truck its a little chilly in pa wasn't too bad when I checked the fan speed , it was 50 or so out ..
I let it idle for a long time, It never hit 210 close ,everytime i thought it was gona hit it went back down a little, took it for a ride same thing ,close but nada ..
the fan seems to have a nice steady pace, not to face not to slow ...
my buddy is getting me another fan motor, and I didn't want to take it out until I have the new one, then I will check the wires that are near the motor and see if they are broke ..
can I but a multi-meter on it ? either way I will post the fix for sure ,I see a lot of people post they need help and then disappear ,guys like me need that help lol r&r lol
thank you !

jimtrailblazer

Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Yes sir, the clutch fan ..
check engine light out it only seems to come on around inspection time for some reason (LMFAO) !!!

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
Glad it was a quick fix! BTW if you guys are tired of changing out mech clutches, we do offer an electric fan upgrade (for both I6 & V8). Long lasting Spal fan(s), and extra horsepower while you're at it!

jimtrailblazer

Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Kelly@PCMofNC said:
Glad it was a quick fix! BTW if you guys are tired of changing out mech clutches, we do offer an electric fan upgrade (for both I6 & V8). Long lasting Spal fan(s), and extra horsepower while you're at it!
if it goes again I will probably go that route ..
them kits come with everything you need? seems a little confusion? gotta mail something back to get the check engine light out ?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online