So whats normal on the temp gauge?

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
My TB was running 3 to 4 clicks to the left of the 210 mark when driving around the city...Temps have been very cool 50 to 60s and I thought the Tb was running pretty cool when driven...Recent to trip to Phoenix 165 miles each way and the TB ran fine...didn't notice the temp gauge until on my way back....up the a small mountain it hit 210 mark on the temp gauge then went down 2 clicks to the left of the 210 mark going down the mountain. So now its almost to the 210 mark maybe 2 to 3 clicks to the left with city driving now? So what is the normal temp for the TB? I have 96k miles on the TB

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
On the stock gage, just left of vertical is perfect. 3-4 clicks left means it's time to change the thermostat.

No codes or other symptoms, do it before you clog your cats.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
i agree n with temps 50-60 it should be right round 210 fairly quick.. here where its 0-20 it takes it a lil bit to get up there but once its warmed up 210 is magic mark :smile:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yup, stat's shot. Time for a new one. Shouldn't vary near that much.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I think my stats fine since now its near the 210 mark....but before my trip the gauge was below the 210 mark for about 3 months now and I thought that was the norm. If you guys say the 210 mark is fine for the TB, I am ok with that but I think the change in temp was a little too much, since my TB is not even driven crazy or 4x4ed at all

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Good it is at 210 now but it must be weakening if it hasn't held it there consistently. It shouldn't matter the outside temp (to a point), it should get to 210 in a reasonable time and stay there. If it is -20 or something then yeah I could see it dipping under (mine did at that temp!) but even down to single digits it should hold ~210 degrees after warming up.

Reactions: Robbabob and Mounce

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Double check the temp with a scanner. Could be the stepper motor is getting flakey.

Good point as you cannot trust the gauges. My needle would sit at the 210 mark on the gauge, but when looking at my coolant temp in the TorquePro app, it never reached about 182*F. Normal temp, when looking at the app, is right at 195*F.

Using a scan tool or ELM327 would be the best way to see what you actual coolant temp is running at.

Reactions: jpinoy and Tiggerr

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
On Torque with mine, it's happy sitting between 206° and 212°.

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
Do you have a scanner you can follow up with? In my experience the factory gauges are not so accurate. On my TBSS it stays a notch below 210, when it's anywhere from 175-220. I have an Aeroforce scangauge to keep on top of temps.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Sorry guys I don't have a temp scanner but this is how my TB has been on warm up, this was in the morning around 60 degrees

2.JPG

Then after warm up
1.JPG

That was normal for my TB for a while before my trip and now its prob 1 to 2 clicks from the left of the 210

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
It would be worth your time and money to buy an ELM327 ($20) and download the Torque app (free), thats if you have an android device. Or you can pay someone to hook up their scan tool to determine the actual coolant temp. At that point, you probably could have bought (4) ELM327s.

Do you have a CEL yet? I dont believe a P code is triggered until somewhere around the 162* mark. You mentioned that you think your t-stat is fine. Is that because you have changed it out in the past? T-stats are known to fail open on our platform. Dont be quick to rule out the t-stat until you can see your actual coolant temps.

Trkdrvremt

Oct 22, 2014
NJ
It would be worth your time and money to buy an ELM327 ($20) and download the Torque app (free), thats if you have an android device. Or you can pay someone to hook up their scan tool to determine the actual coolant temp. At that point, you probably could have bought (4) ELM327s.

Do you have a CEL yet? I dont believe a P code is triggered until somewhere around the 162* mark. You mentioned that you think your t-stat is fine. Is that because you have changed it out in the past? T-stats are known to fail open on our platform. Dont be quick to rule out the t-stat until you can see your actual coolant temps.

Or if you have ios you can use the elm372 wifi dongle with obdII fusion.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
5.JPG

I have IPhone and thanks for the info ok so this gauge at the moment I just came from taking the dog to the park. It is now closer to the 210 mark but still to the left, sorry about the pic but I have to say the upload feature is not very good and just rotates photos for no reason. But anyways because of the angle it is closer to the 210 mark now

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Still too far left though. 1 tick left is probably OK, 2 is too far, 3 is yeah no good. How has your MPG been?

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Still too far left though. 1 tick left is probably OK, 2 is too far, 3 is yeah no good. How has your MPG been?

it just hit 210 as I just got back from a drive... youre kidding about the MPG? This is the worst vehicle for that...I have a gas tank leak....and believe it or not after the tune up and putting on a K & N air filter kit...the MPG got a little better but its still bad...on my trip to Phoenix, I am assuming I was getting 17 to 18 MPG

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I meant a calculation, not really a guess. Reason is, if it runs too cold the mpg will drop. 17-18 isn't bad if that's a solid number.

Just hitting 210 isn't enough. It should stay there, the whole time, once it reaches it (and it should reach it within 15 minutes easily, mine will get there in under 10 minutes with it 20 degrees outside).

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
As previously stated you need to get a scanner to check your temps. Your actual reading from the computer should be 192-196ºf, on the cluster the normal position of the needle is dead on 210º, if your needle occasionally comes up to 210 but drops back down your thermostat is stuck open. If you replace the thermostat, also replace the temp sensor at the same time they are done in pairs....you know like your brakes. USE AC DELCO for these parts.

You are getting good advice from everyone here, use it. :thumbsup:

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
As previously stated you need to get a scanner to check your temps. Your actual reading from the computer should be 192-196ºf, on the cluster the normal position of the needle is dead on 210º, if your needle occasionally comes up to 210 but drops back down your thermostat is stuck open. If you replace the thermostat, also replace the temp sensor at the same time they are done in pairs....you know like your brakes. USE AC DELCO for these parts.

You are getting good advice from everyone here, use it. :thumbsup:

Oh no doubt man we all suffer with the issues of the TB together that's why I ask ha ha

I meant a calculation, not really a guess. Reason is, if it runs too cold the mpg will drop. 17-18 isn't bad if that's a solid number.

Just hitting 210 isn't enough. It should stay there, the whole time, once it reaches it (and it should reach it within 15 minutes easily, mine will get there in under 10 minutes with it 20 degrees outside).

After chasing down why the TB would stall and it still doing it (not as much), I am at the moment not changing anything else until it gets checked to what the actual temp is running, hey maybe my TB runs cool? Its reaching 210 now and staying there

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Your pictures almost without a doubt prove that your thermostat is bad. Why make a thread asking what the normal temp is then deny that your thermostat is bad when you're actually running too cool?

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Your pictures almost without a doubt prove that your thermostat is bad. Why make a thread asking what the normal temp is then deny that your thermostat is bad when you're actually running too cool?

Because its a forum right? So having not owned the TB before and seeing how my temp gauge was below 210 for a while I was wondering what the normal temp was. I am not denying anything that was kind of joke, but hey seems it annoyed you...whatever

pL2005

Jan 4, 2016
MI
My envoy sits just above 210 (like 1 notch). Like other posters have said, it gets there and stays there even on the coldest days within 10 (and certainly within 15) minutes. I just replaced my thermostat (although with a Duralast from autozone) as I was getting the check engine light with the code about failure to reach operating temp. I disobeyed the cardinal rule of replacing the sensor though, so that'll probably bite me at some point.... oh well.

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for the info I checked into the replacing the termo online and wow what a pain to get to it, I'll be doing soon

It certainly isn't in the easiest spot.. that's why some here are recommending replacing the sensor at the same time. You're in there anyway, got the coolant drained, and it's a relatively cheap part.

You'll see a few methods around here for getting to that thermostat... I went the wheel well route and it really wasn't all that bad of a job. A few long extensions and nothing other than the wheel really had to be removed.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
It certainly isn't in the easiest spot.. that's why some here are recommending replacing the sensor at the same time. You're in there anyway, got the coolant drained, and it's a relatively cheap part.

You'll see a few methods around here for getting to that thermostat... I went the wheel well route and it really wasn't all that bad of a job. A few long extensions and nothing other than the wheel really had to be removed.

So you didn't have to remove the sep belt or alt? Yes I would do the sensor as well since I am there

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
Nope it all stayed on. I didn't do the sensor though so I can't say if this method will work as well for accessing that

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online