So tell who makes GM parts again?

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
IMG_1478.JPG
Well as the parts start coming in for my T-stat change out, I received the T-stat (Mexico), Temp Sensor (China) ad Upper Hose (unknown). The parts I searched for an bought were supposed to be OEM as everybody says to get them, but what is point of OEM parts if they are not made in the USA? Its a complete joke to have a AC Delco sticker on these parts with the Detroit, MI addy when clearly they are not manufactured there. So again why get these OEM Parts when the aftermarket parts are prob coming from the same locations?

Also my T-Stat is has a rattle when I shake it, I assume that normal?

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Even though it's subbed out having oem branding means it is going to have to hold up to that name and testing as well as meet oem spec. They probably are from the same plant but who is to say the after market is not the rejected oem parts? They know the exact specs since they built it and chances are you're less likely to have a problem right out of the gate. Not that it doesn't happen though.

Yes I would prefer a made in USA sticker on it but we can't have it our way alsways.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
The rattle is a little check ball that allows slight coolant flow while the thermostat is closed. That way it's not just blocked off until it opens and is getting a fresh stream to be able to open when it needs to.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
A lot of companies that have an address here in the USA don't make stuff here (Apple for example has a lot of their stuff made by Foxconn in China).

Not saying I like it, but that's how at least.

Reactions: Redbeard

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
View attachment 76777
Well as the parts start coming in for my T-stat change out, I received the T-stat (Mexico), Temp Sensor (China) ad Upper Hose (unknown). The parts I searched for an bought were supposed to be OEM as everybody says to get them, but what is point of OEM parts if they are not made in the USA? Its a complete joke to have a AC Delco sticker on these parts with the Detroit, MI addy when clearly they are not manufactured there. So again why get these OEM Parts when the aftermarket parts are prob coming from the same locations?

Also my T-Stat is has a rattle when I shake it, I assume that normal?

The rattle is a little check ball that allows slight coolant flow while the thermostat is closed. That way it's not just blocked off until it opens and is getting a fresh stream to be able to open when it needs to.

Thanks thought the T-Stat went bad already lol

A lot of companies that have an address here in the USA don't make stuff here (Apple for example has a lot of their stuff made by Foxconn in China).

Not saying I like it, but that's how at least.

The problem I have is when I was buying my parts many of the AC Delco parts also had a professional alternate AC Delco part. My front engine mounted purge valve looked the same regardless of the OEM vs the Professional part? professional.jpg OEM.jpg

Looking at these 2 parts, there's no way to say the OEM is better then the professional piece? I just think some of the OEM hype is just that with these type of parts. Major parts I would get oem but they would still be made in China....I would never buy from the dealer parts, ever after this...

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Get em on eBay and it doesn't sting as bad. Same oem name just parts store brand price. :yes:

Cant Trust Ebay anymore, I feel like some of the parts there are rejects from the sellers...I ended up paying $86 for upper and lower rad hoses, temp sensor, Purge valve, I think that's a good price for Amazon...I just think it should lower since most of that stuff is made in China for a hella of lot cheaper

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Get used to it. Not a single brake rotor is made in North America anymore. The last foundry closed in Canada a long time ago and the equipment was bought by China and moved there.

Welcome to the global economy.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
World Economy. Countries are of little significance other than a few rules

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I never got a good answer on AC Delco versus AC Delco "Professional" and if no one can articulate the difference then I can't justify the premium.

And FWIW, the parts that came on your truck from the factory weren't made here either so I certainly wouldn't expect spares to be either. Not USA doesn't mean not GM.

(The check ball let's air escape the block when the system is filled so it can be filled completely cold and without purging.)

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
One example that comes to mind is AC Delco ball joints are sealed units, but the Professional ones have zerks on them, so in theory the professional ones should last longer since they can be maintained. Now reality? No idea!

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I never got a good answer on AC Delco versus AC Delco "Professional" and if no one can articulate the difference then I can't justify the premium.

Bingo!!!

One example that comes to mind is AC Delco ball joints are sealed units, but the Professional ones have zerks on them, so in theory the professional ones should last longer since they can be maintained. Now reality? No idea!

Get the sealed units that why you support GM lol j/k I would go the professionals route on that

Last edited by a moderator:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I avoid zerk fittings in ball joints and u-joints as they weaken them and rarely do people actually lube them properly. As long as a good sealed joint lasts these days i will stick with them

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I grease mine :biggrin:

How does it weaken them? First I've heard that so I'm curious.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You ever snapped a ujoint or seen one? Tends to be through the fitting. The reason is that the greasable joints have a hollow cross & they are weaker than the solid non greasable joints. Any hole in the case will weaken a piece. Ball joints not as much, but as long as they last sealed, I got no need for zerks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Heard about that for u-joints, not ball joints and tie-rods.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Actually no, never snapped one of those. I was thinking of the ball joints and such more than U joints.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I tend to change parts out rather than wait til failure, so I just avoid greasable on all basically. If they last a couple years as sealed units I am plenty happy.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would understand you snapping u-joints as your user name says it all :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Us good ole boys have lost a good many shoe strings n belts tying up driveshafts to get home over the past couple decades. I know guys that seem to change ujoints more than oil.

Reactions: Sparky

northmick

May 30, 2016
McAlester OK
A.C Delco is %100 repackaged. The deal is the out sorced manufacture has to build to spec. Almost all chassis parts and bearings and seals are made by federal mogul who make oem duralast driveworks persision and there too brand moot and national. There all just made to different tolerance. Johnson controls is one of three battery producers who does all parts house brand as well as optima they have recently moved there plant to dubi not cause it's cheaper but it's closer to raw matereals. Understanding part numbers can tell you a lot also. Moog parts steat with a k c r or ck. Ck is the best so to that there problem solvers. Ck balljoints for example are powder metal so greas will permeates the metal and prevents greas lock from not getting to one side of the ball joint

northmick

May 30, 2016
McAlester OK

And FWIW, the parts that came on your truck from the factory weren't made here either so I certainly wouldn't expect spares to be either. Not USA doesn't mean not GM.

(The check ball let's air escape the block when the system is filled so it can be filled completely cold and without purging.)
"Pro" parts usaly only have small difference there really is not there own class. Professional brake pads may mean that they come with the hard wear and grease or that a spring has a higher compression rating. Realy calling them professional realy means what ever they want. Its is a better part and there more to the bundal just what makes it professional differs from part to part

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've noticed that their Professional brake rotors just have their non-friction surfaces painted. Probably just the same parts as their Advantage line.

I've seen premium brand parts fail where lesser brands would last longer (suspension parts most notably)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online