So long Envoy. Its been good knowing ya.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Markets must be far different. I paid less for newer with 1/3 less miles 4 years ago. I am gonna need to sell mine somewhere else if they can get that kind of money. I was thinking of asking 5 or 6 for my 07 w 110K after looking at what for sale around here. I do think the 06 will stay with me forever though.

Glad you got a strong market and good luck with the sale.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Had a look at 3 F250's today and they practically are selling right off the auction block. Hard to even get my foot in the door. You practically need cash or high value trade in to get one. Was basically told by a dealer that it would be better to get a lease. But we all know thats not what I want to do.

Looked at a Dodge ram as well. Smelled like refrigerant oil in the cab with ac on. My only gripe. Dealer told me to basically shove it and get lost. Guess thats the last time I tell a dealer to please fix something before buying. I even offered to pay half cost to fix.

Came back with the wife a few hours later and two people are going through paperwork. Salesman said "sorry about this but they got first dibs". So ok, lets sell this car to the unsuspecting couple who doesnt know a damn thing about a/c. Guess thats the last time I share my vehicle knowledge with a car salesperson. Play dumb right?

Funny. Did not get a single call or text today for my Envoy. Guess I need more pictures. Hehe.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Funny. Did not get a single call or text today for my Envoy. Guess I need more pictures. Hehe.

Give it time, there are people who know this platform and will bite. Others that are unaware could use more of a description and inside pics. I know a few key points are body on frame and the Inline-6. One thing about the XL is the reclining 2nd row that I wish the SWB had.

HARDTRAILZ said:
Honestly if you go diesel. Get a Cummins. I am a die hard GM, but tons of friends are big diesel guys and having been around them for years, the cummins just flat works. Duramax's are great, but the Cummins would actually make me own a dodge. Never a gas one, but the diesel...yes.

+10

A co-worker has a 2500 Ram and gets 22 ish MPG stock on the HWY. I know you wanted to stay in the GM family but this is the motor of choice.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Markets must be far different. I paid less for newer with 1/3 less miles 4 years ago. I am gonna need to sell mine somewhere else if they can get that kind of money. I was thinking of asking 5 or 6 for my 07 w 110K after looking at what for sale around here. I do think the 06 will stay with me forever though.

Glad you got a strong market and good luck with the sale.

not sure why they cost more here but I paid $6000 for my 02 with 140000 so Captain is right in line with his pricing. He may have to wait to get it to sell but I am sure it will go for close to what its up for. All the cheaper ones here have 180000+ and are rusted out:thumbsup:

Guess if I replace mine I will come down your way Trailz

ddgm

May 7, 2013
My brother-in -law had a 2006 2500 HD Duramax with Allison transmission, crew cab that we used to take on our vacations to
Florida. Roughly 1500 miles one way, we drove it 70 to 75 miles an hour down I75 and averaged 27 -28 MPG with 4 people and luggage.
Lots of pep and the Duramax is the quietest of the GM, Ford and Dodge with Dodge being by far the noisiest, but then some macho types
love that big truck sound. I find it doesn't take long to get annoying. He traded it for a 2008 Duramax which had more HP but didn't
get the mileage. He raised beef cattle and towed a 38' fifth wheel livestock trailer. When he retired, he traded it in on a new gas powered
Chev 1500 crew cab.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
jonbo2002 said:
not sure why they cost more here but I paid $6000 for my 02 with 140000 so Captain is right in line with his pricing. He may have to wait to get it to sell but I am sure it will go for close to what its up for. All the cheaper ones here have 180000+ and are rusted out:thumbsup:

Guess if I replace mine I will come down your way Trailz

This is exactly why they cost more here. Supply and Demand. Tons of rusted out ones and few good ones. So stock is limited and demand is steady. Do a price comparison on the NADA website between different geographic locations and you should see a difference. From my observations there are more 08 and 09's on dealer lots but they tend to be outside the price range people are looking at. Mine was in Cincinnati most of it's life so limited salt on the roads. Heck mine still has the black frame paint on it in for the most part. The 2004 and 05's I keep looking at that are local their frames are all rust and they need ball joints by 100K. Whoever get's it is getting a good deal. I am not even charging for the $1500 worth of maintenance I put into it.

One of the big issues up here due to the salt on the roads is damaged brake parts from corrosion. Since most used cars up here are "as is" you pretty much are guaranteed to need a major brake job coming off the lot. It pisses me off but hey what are you gonna do?

So yes, not only are you paying a demand premium but the maintenance after the sale is gonna put another dagger in your heart as well.

My search for a decent priced truck is literally taking me out of state ATM. Currently searching for abandoned trucks in Detroit. I have dealers over there willing to drive the truck over here for a test drive. lol. The market is so upside down. But I digress.... Ahhh! I just had a flashback from the cash for clunkers. Imagine how many trucks were destroyed during that event.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
CaptainXL said:
...It pisses me off but hey what are you gonna do?...
Buy a CA or OR vehicle that's never seen salt. :wink:

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Found a Red 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab

w/6.0 litre and 4wd. 189,000 miles. Runs good.

Has a common exhaust leak at manifold and trans fluid was dark.

$12,000

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So last week I had my eye set on the 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. So I gave the dealer (a local mom and pop) $250 as earnest to hold it until the next day at noon. As it turned out my initial attempts to secure financing for a trailer fell through. I called back the dealer and they don't want to pay me back the $250. They just said they will think about it. They said they have been holding it for 4 days which is a crock. The salesman said the day I gave them the money that if I am not back by tomorrow that I would get a refund. At the time I gave them my card there was just a verbal agreement. So who is in the right here? Should I expect a refund?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
You paid them $250 to hold it, they held it.

If you are entitled to a refund, i have no idea what purpose you paid them for

triz

Apr 22, 2013
CaptainXL said:
So last week I had my eye set on the 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. So I gave the dealer (a local mom and pop) $250 as earnest to hold it until the next day at noon. As it turned out my initial attempts to secure financing for a trailer fell through. I called back the dealer and they don't want to pay me back the $250. They just said they will think about it. They said they have been holding it for 4 days which is a crock. The salesman said the day I gave them the money that if I am not back by tomorrow that I would get a refund. At the time I gave them my card there was just a verbal agreement. So who is in the right here? Should I expect a refund?

I would say you are. I worked at a dealership with people putting in deposits for cars we had to get from another dealer and then back out. You still get your deposit.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
You paid them $250 to hold it, they held it.

If you are entitled to a refund, i have no idea what purpose you paid them for

I was thinking the exact same thing. Holding it is performing a deed. So it seems like I just need to drop it and learn from my mistake?

Originally I thought I was paying them for a sum to be used towards the purchase price in the event that I would puchase the truck. If for some reason the deal fell through then I would get my money back. Never exactly thought about it the way you just did.

triz said:
I would say you are. I worked at a dealership with people putting in deposits for cars we had to get from another dealer and then back out. You still get your deposit.

Its not a down payment or deposit. Its just something to show you are serious.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
dealer made me put 1000 down on a new SS, paid it, they called back the next day and said I needed a co-signer. I said no and they refunded my money. This was probably around 2006 iirc. If you put the money down thinking they would finance you, and they can't, then you should get it back. if they don't offer financing then i would kiss that $250 goodbye.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
tblazerdude said:
dealer made me put 1000 down on a new SS, paid it, they called back the next day and said I needed a co-signer. I said no and they refunded my money. This was probably around 2006 iirc. If you put the money down thinking they would finance you, and they can't, then you should get it back. if they don't offer financing then i would kiss that $250 goodbye.

Standing back and looking at it all from a 3rd person point of view I just think that it was pretty dumb of me to give them any money without some type of "performance quarantee" or "obligation" paperwork. I hope you had some ...and read it. Initially I thought that's what I would get. So am I right in saying that they were wrong for not giving me any type of paperwork? I mean all I had was someones word. Why would a dealer allow this type of transaction even if they were the slightest bit interested in protecting the business? I feel like I was working with either the smartest person in the used car business..or maybe the dumbest. Guess I need to chat with the owners. Not expecting a miracle...but would just like an explaination as to the events.

ddgm

May 7, 2013
What if they had sold the truck? Would you have considered your $250 as an obligation to hold it for you?
Or they may have turned down an offer because of your holding deposit. Either way they should have given you some paper work.
Talk nice to them, explain what happened. Good luck. I just saw that you gave them a card. Credit card? If you really want to push it, call the card company and cancel the transaction, shouldn't be too hard being there is no paper work.

Doug

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Every time I have purchased a vehicle from a dealer I wrote a check for $1,000 and had a verbal agreement the check would never be cashed under any reason. It was to show the other salesmen someone was serious and to not to sell it, maybe even parked elsewhere. Not everyone would just cut a check for a grand like that. Only those who are about to spend more do.

If you can't get the check back, I would express your displeasure in knowing that they wanted your dollar more than finding you the vehicle you wanted. If you paid any other form of payment and they received the funds, well that sucks and good luck taking it from their books.

Check should go to a sales manager who holds keys. Who asks for $250? If you said a few days and took 4days to say no and they received the $$ well then that really sucks.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Check should go to a sales manager who holds keys. Who asks for $250? If you said a few days and took 4days to say no and they received the $$ well then that really sucks.

I gave them the money (using my debit card as a credit card) to hold it. I asked him how long do I have before they put it back on the market. He said I have until noon tomorrow. I said and then after that you put it back on the market and I get my money back? He said yes. So I implied that this meant a denial by me was automatic and no further communication was needed. When I called today he seemed mad that he never heard back from me. Unbelieveable. Hey I am not a car salesman but when one goes back on their word it is troubling.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Unless they have in writing that you cannot receive a refund after a set time, then I would explain to them there is nothing written anywhere... nor did we discuss you not refunding my money. If they still won't budge then call the cust service on the card. I agree, unless there is a written agreement the banking institution should fix it quick.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think you need your money back. My best friend owns a Chevy dealership and I can ask him. He also owns a "mom n pop" style buy here pay here so he may have good insight if you want me to ask.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
That would be great. Will ask around today as well at different dealers that I know. The auto community around here is friendly and open for the most part. Its just a bit of a shock to be faced with an unsympathetic and incompetent dealer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online