Small lift, stock tire size

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
I'm going into my front end in the coming weeks to replace a pile of worn parts and will be getting an alignment afterwards. As a "while I'm in there" addition I've been looking into installing a lift.

I'd love to go big but among other reasons... I just put a brand new set of tires on and they are stock size (245-65-17). I feel going high without oversize tires would look a bit funny. I also don't plan on doing any offroading (other then the odd logging trail) so the NEED for a lift isn't really there. What I'm going for is to make it look more like a 4wd SUV. Like it should have looked from the factory.

It seems something along the lines of the Rough Country 2" lift/level would do what I need. Since it only raises the rear .75" and brings the front up to match I'm thinking it would look just fine with my current tire size?

Has anyone here installed a kit like this without larger tires?

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
I started looking into lifting the envoy about a year ago... in fact, it was the markmc lift that got my attention. Specifically the photo I'll attach below, which belongs to user "minorobsession" from the OS. I liked the "tahoe" stance.

Since then I've changed my mind, mostly due to overall cost. Larger tires, the need for wheel spacers, etc. So when I bought new tires I went with the original size thinking this was a dead issue. Having to take apart the front suspension, and get an alignment anyway has reawakened the idea. And now here I am :smile:

Short reply is I don't believe he offers such a minimal lift option - at least not for a comparable price

Attachments

• Lifted3.jpg
    Lifted3.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Mounce

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You could have gone up in tire size even without the lift. You can go up to 29.6" tires without a lift or spacers.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I have stock 245/65/17 ~ 29.6" diameter tires and I had room with no lift for at least 30in of tire without spacers or the lift.

I now have the 3in Marcmc lift, Id never go back to stock. Best investment I have ever made to the joy of driving this SUV.

As for tires, Im not going to get rid of my 2 year old stock sized tires but when it is time to replace them you bet Im going as big as I can without making a mess of my fenders. Ill cut bumper plastic but metal is to be kept stock as much as possible.

First decide on the next set of tire that you want, pick the size, then find the right mix of spacer and lift to get them to fit. That is what I am going to do when my present set of tires have ended their usefulness.

BC backroader

Sep 6, 2014
stickypoop, I did the MarksMC 2.5" lift/level and the Tahoe rear springs/BDS shocks, while keeping the almost new stock tires on my EXT, and I don't feel it looks too odd that way. I do plan to go to 245/70/17 BFG or General AT2s when needed, as I know that size fits, since I recently had a flat and I had a buddy at a tire shop fit one to the stock rim and mount it on the front to test clearance at the UBJ. There was still lots of space, and the roughly 1" bigger tire definitely looked good. I didn't have the money to buy a set at the time, but I sure was tempted!

The before and after lift shots are in my build thread.

smt 59

When I replaced my struts and springs I put in suspension max spring spacers front and back 2.5 inch and this allowed me to up the tire size to 265/65R/17, looks great.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
smt 59 said:
When I replaced my struts and springs I put in suspension max spring spacers front and back 2.5 inch and this allowed me to up the tire size to 265/65R/17, looks great.
I also used Suspension maxx 2" lift level and put 255/65/17 it looked great, wish I still had the truck.

http://www.suspensionmaxx.com/

Forgot to add, I also had Bilstein 4600 HD's front and rear, do those the same time the ride is in heaven. Just ordered Bilstein 5100's form my new 4RUNNER. Awesome shocks!

Reactions: smt 59

smt 59

jbones said:
I also used Suspension maxx 2" lift level and put 255/65/17 it looked great, wish I still had the truck.

http://www.suspensionmaxx.com/

Forgot to add, I also had Bilstein 4600 HD's front and rear, do those the same time the ride is in heaven. Just ordered Bilstein 5100's form my new 4RUNNER. Awesome shocks!
Did the same

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online