Silverado/Sierra common issues?

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
It has a few blemishes and some use-related scars. Definitely was used as a pickup, there are gouges/marks on the bed liner but the good thing is it is a really heavy duty thick liner so it is doing its job well.

I did find some chipped paint with surface rust underneath it in the wheel well area when I was looking at something. Figures lol. But minor. I'm going to sand and coat all surface rust before winter hits.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Congratulations Jared! Now, which one are you bringing to the meet?

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Dunno, should I bring Rusty or the Silverado? Thinking probably the Silverado, although it is going to be totally bone stock vs modded like Rusty is.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice truck! Love the color

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
Dunno, should I bring Rusty or the Silverado? Thinking probably the Silverado, although it is going to be totally bone stock vs modded like Rusty is.
We're there to have a good time...it's a drive for you, I'd go with comfort.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well this freakin' sucks.

Thought I smelled gas in the garage this morning but I have gas cans in there for the mowers and thought nothing of it.

Noticed the smell lingered around the truck when I left work to run home for the drop off of my new furnace (yay expensive month lol). Sitting outside, it still has a whiff of gas smell around the driver side someplace. I have no idea where it is coming from. Does not smell at all under the hood, and really even underneath. Mostly just around that door.

Sigh. I should call the dealer and have them fix it on their dime, whatever it is.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is where the tank is isn't it? Loose cap, Lil overflow or splash at fill? Possibly the vent for the tank. Temps have been fluctuating so the vent may be purging pressure.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Started thinking about that. It isn't the gas fill (I haven't filled it, tank is at 1/3) and doesn't smell around the cap at all. Doesn't really smell underneath or anywhere, just around that vicinity.

Appointment is Monday at 2:30 but if it goes away before then it is probably nothing. I'll also get under it tomorrow sometime to check the canister. I'd like to figure it out myself and not deal with the dealer if possible.

Apr 23, 2015
Nice ride. Two months back and I could of sold you my lifted 2500hd, haha.

Other common issues to look for are the knock sensors like to corrode as water gets trapped under the manifold. Clunking coming from the steering column is an intermediate steering shaft shock that like to go out often and the blend door motors like to go out of sync and have to be replaced as they fail.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Blend doors? That isn't anything new, the GMT360 has blend door issues too lol.

Drove it at night for the first time tonight and GM really did a good job with these headlights. They light up the road quite well and the high beams are quite bright. Reflectors are obviously not as uniform as projectors but the light spread is very nice. Almost makes me wonder if a retrofit is worth it.

Almost.

Still going to happen eventually lol.

Reactions: Matt and Mounce

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I was gone for a few days. Wow, that's nice! Welcome to the club!

Mounce said:
And the downside of the changed shift points while it's in tow mode..

I know on our 03 Silverado tow mode changed the shift points a good bit, had to get to a higher rpm before it would shift to the next gear.
That's why I mentioned turning it on while driving on the freeway. Let it shift normal, then turn it on.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Not sure if the sierra's and silverados are the same as my tahoe, but in tow/haul mode and D on mine, AFM does activate. In 3 instead of D, it does not. Typically I tow in 3, so guess it doesn't matter while towing, but if this is how it works on all trucks, getting up to speed and just changing from normal to tow may not work.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
{tpc} said:
Not sure if the sierra's and silverados are the same as my tahoe, but in tow/haul mode and D on mine, AFM does activate. In 3 instead of D, it does not. Typically I tow in 3, so guess it doesn't matter while towing, but if this is how it works on all trucks, getting up to speed and just changing from normal to tow may not work.
Didn't think of that. I only use it when towing and never tow in D.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Yes! Another Silverado in the house to help keep mine company.

There is a lot of AFM/DoD basing on another GM truck forum I used to visit but have pretty much stoped since they were taken over by a company up in Canada. However the site has no where near the technical expertise that can be found here. One thing I did glean is that AFM will not activate until the engine reaches a minimal operating temperature and in 6th gear (on my six speed). So to make sure everything is warmed up I put the tranny in manual 5th gear until the temperature gauge gets to the just to the right of center sweet spot.

Reactions: djthumper

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Seems that way. Mine is only the 4 speed being a 2007 (that's OK I'm familiar with the 4L60E) but I haven't noticed it hit V4 unless warmed up. I really have not looked at the oil level much, but I should keep a close eye on it at least initially since I don't know if this one is an oil drinker or not. Hopefully not! Even my 13 year old TB with 211k miles barely sips any oil and I've been spoiled.

I did come across one relatively common problem - a sticky brake pedal switch tends to make cruise control not work. There are two sets of contacts in that switch and the cruise contacts get stuck so it won't engage, but the brake lights aren't on as those contacts aren't sticking. Cheap and easy fix from the looks of things, but just something to mention. My cruise is non functional right now likely do to that. It seems most reports were from earlier ones, not sure if they changed something later on by 2011 or not.

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
A very nice truck and choice. If you do not need the 6.0 or earlyer 8.1 the 5.3 is a great engine as the 4l80e and 4l60e are great trannys just stay in 3rd when towing 1:1 final drive and the Z71 OffRoad is Great with the Auburn locker (I beleive that is what they still use) have it in my "burbun and is street friendly and makes it great in the snow being in Northern NY I know. 2 cranks on front torsion bars will level it out and stiffen it up a little but still a nice comfy ride. Change the Rear oil to keep the locker happy and if worried about the frame i can get the info for you they sell a kit just wire wheel the rust flake off spray the neutrailizing spray (acid), when dry put 2 coats of the paint they give you (can add a little clear coat to make it shine) and it will never rust again. The 1500 is under rated IMOP it is a GREAT truck. As you read just keep an eye on the hubs and the rear bumper is the first thing to rust. You have a nice ride. After I build my Envoy for my son I think that is the next ride for me. I will probably go to FL. to find one as most TRUCK only places are loaded with then since people seem to want the "HEMI" or anything "DIESEL" which in NY is a pain to own. Good luck man...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online