Silverado/Sierra common issues?

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hey guys, I may be looking at a Silverado to replace my Trailblazer instead of getting another Trailblazer as I'm really thinking a pickup bed would be convenient to have. So I'm starting to look at the Silverados and Sierras. Any common issues for particular years I should be aware of? I've seen rocker rust on the mid-2000s ones. 2007 was the first year of the newer platform, any issues to be aware of for a first year or were they pretty much OK?

Not positive if I'll go this route or not but figured I should at least start looking :biggrin:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't know about the 2007 new body style, but the old body style would eat hubs around 100k, so that's something to look for. Pretty much all gm vehicles share the same little bugs in my expirence. If you can, get the 6.0l, much more power then the 5.3 and you'll probably see the same fuel economy. I'd also try for the 4l80e or 6l80e I forget what they put in the new body style. If it's old body style, make sure the recall for the blower motor resistor pack and harness was done too, intermittent speed 5 and weird stuff like that. If it's the vinyl plastic seat covers, make sure they're not cracking, stuffs like a razor blade to your arm

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Problem is you can only get the 6.0L in the 2500 and that is too much truck for me (and too much up front cost probably). My parents' neighbor has a 2000 Silverado with the 4.8L and that thing never stops and has like 260k on it last I knew, towed a horse trailer with it and everything, so I wouldn't be opposed to a 4.8L either.

If I found a 2500 at the right price and right miles then I'd not be opposed to one. Maybe a duramax LOL can't afford that but would be fun just because.

Reactions: littleblazer

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Not too many real mechanical issues that I can think of over the years, other than a few hubs getting eaten from lack of PM. The 4.8 V-8 was a good strong engine, the 4-speed transmission was fine.

As you know I just got the 2014 in December but the price and packaging was just right with the timing. I was looking to go more towards a 2010 - 2012 until that deal came along. Mine has 3.42 gears with a 6-speed transmission with the heady duty tow package in the 1500.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I bought an '08 Sierra just over a year ago. It had 85k on it, now it has 100k. Crew cab, 5.3l, 3:73 gears. I love this truck. I get better mileage than my TB got, by at least 10%. I'm getting 17mpg in the city without any special effort. I've owned SUVs and vans for many years, 3 Suburbans, a GMC Safari, and the Trailblazer. I now wish I had bought a PU years ago. I also don't think I'd ever go back to any kind of mid-size truck again. Of course my trailer needs a full size to tow it, but there are very few downdisdes to owning a full size PU. It is 10 times the vehicle the Trailblazer was, better built and so far, much more reliable.

Get the 5.3. Very common, very easy to work on.

You will be changing wheel hubs by the time you hit 100k. In fact one of mine disinegrated on a trip to Upper MI in mid March. I had to have it towed home 170 miles. Then again, I've had to change the hubs on every late model GM I've owned over the past 10 years. Be proactive and just change them. These are every easy to replace though.

Changing trans fluid is a pain. The crossover pipe needs to be dropped at the exaust manifolds to allow enough room to drop the pan. Mine has the 4L60E like my TB had. Nothing to be afraid of. With Dex VI and fluid changes at the recommended intervals they will last the life of the truck and then some. My TB had 160k on when I sold it and the trans was as strong as ever. The 6 speed was introduced in the 1500s in '10, THAT'S the transmission to get if you can get one.

Other than those things my Sirrea has been excellent.

i-pWR2qxK-M.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
At one point there was a weird way to get a 6.0l in a 1500. I've seen it but yes not common at all.

I still miss the 99 sierra with the 350. 200000 miles 1 tune up and 1 fuel pump that wasn't bad. Ate like 3 exhausts though. The last 5 years that's been around its been neglected by the shop, but still runs perfect. My gripe with the 5.3 was it was designed to replace the 350 and it does okay but the 6.0l was the better sucessor. Similar performance from both trucks under similar conditions. 350 had better torque off the line though.

Enough about this pretty much any one you get will be good, just get the v8. Do they still offer the v6 on the full size?

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Yes, they still offer the V6. When they introdcued the new '14s they also introduced a new version of the venerable 4.3l with 285 hp at 5300 rpm and 305 lb·ft.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
We had an 03 extended with towing package and 5.3 from '04 till '12 when I totaled it. Had 21k on it when we got it and 140k'ish when it was wrecked.

Only thing that messed up on it was an o2 sensor and I think a hub was going bad in it's later years.

Made ~900 mile trips 2-6 times a year with no problems, highest mpg I ever saw out of it was 21.x on one of the trips but still got decent mileage around town during normal driving.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm very familiar with the 4L60E and mine in my 02 TB has 210k miles, so that's all good to me. Hubs aren't a big deal either since the TB does go through them too and it looks like they bolt on the same basic way. Axle nut, 3 bolts behind, and done.

A 2010 is likely outside my price range... I can probably do somewhere around $7000-$8000 down, and I don't want much over $200 a month. Ideally I wanted no car payment at all and was going to stick with a Trailblazer, but I feel like I may get a far better vehicle (even if I stuck with Trailblazer) if I paid a little more for a lot less wear/miles. Also seems the pickups aren't as rust prone as the TB is on those door edges, although the pre-07 trucks seem to have a a tendency to rust in the rockers from what I've seen.

There is an 07 extended cab with 120k miles for like $13k nearby that I was thinking of looking at

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
The only thing I can add is the AFM/DOD thing to be concerned about on NNBS trucks..unless they also did that on the 06 and older? Mine has 196k on it...knock on wood. :tongue:

Find my transmission fluid change thread, fun read I'm sure. I don't know if it is the same or not, but would have been well worth the $230 the dealer was quoting me to replace it and filter/gasket. Some satisfaction in doing it yourself I guess aside from the cost savings, but ate up an entire weekend.

I will say its a whole lot more fun working on than the wifes envoy due to being higher up...I can pretty much get under it without lifting it up. Silverado may be different than my truck but I can't see it being any lower to the ground.

Spark plugs in the back can be a pain as well. Passenger side I would expect to be similar to my experience..take off wheel, take off wheel well, use combo of extensions and swivels to get to it, expect to cut hands on everything lol.

FWIW, my tahoe was slighty more than that ext cab with more miles...

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
{tpc} said:
Spark plugs in the back can be a pain as well. Passenger side I would expect to be similar to my experience..take off wheel, take off wheel well, use combo of extensions and swivels to get to it, expect to cut hands on everything lol.
You're a glutten for punishment my friend. I just did plugs last weekend. I thought I was going to have to do the same thing as you. I ended up putting a 3/8 universal joint on the plug socket and was able to work my hands back there and move the wratchet. It took about 10 minutes and some scratched up arms just for that plug, but it was worth it.

Reactions: djthumper

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
DocBrown said:
You're a glutten for punishment my friend. I just did plugs last weekend. I thought I was going to have to do the same thing as you. I ended up putting a 3/8 universal joint on the plug socket and was able to work my hands back there and move the wratchet. It took about 10 minutes and some scratched up arms just for that plug, but it was worth it.
I actually went with my method after discussing here. I was going to try to get to it from the top, but I couldn't get enough leverage on the boot to get it off, so I quit after getting 7 of the 8 plugs done because I didn't want to break anything.

For me it was easier going through the wheel well, but I never want to experience it again. lol I'm guessing if I could have got the boot off, I probably would have gone from the top.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
AFM... good point on an 07 it probably has it, wonder how well it works or how screwed up it is on that truck lol.

As for rear spark plugs... I have a 99 Camaro, I know all about impossible to reach spark plugs LOL.

I'm going to go look at an 07 ext cab with 128k miles after work today. They want $14k for it... Obviously not paying cash for that, but we'll see what kind of financing they offer.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
'07 and up have DOD on the 5.3s, as does mine. I don't beleive the 6.0 or 6.2 uses DOD. I did a lot oreading recently on this. The issues with DOD and collapsed lifters is actually quite rare. It does happen, and it has happened to some members on GMTNation.with GMT 360s that have 5.3l But it's not like there's a high percentage of problems with it.

For my part it seems to work pretty well. When I tow I use Tow/Haul mode which locks out the DOD system.

That price sounds right in line with what they are going for. I paid $20k with 85k miles on it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I concur, no dod on the bigger engines that I know og.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Went and looked at it after work. Impressions:

Cold start lifter ticking for the first minute or so. Ran fine, ticking went away as it warmed up. Not bad (I've had bad lifters on an old car before), but noticeable.
When the dealer took inventory of the truck they replaced the front brakes (pads and rotors), the exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side, both CV axles, serpentine belt, something else on the exhaust (I forget), wiper blades, and a few other maintenance items. Brakes are at 75% in the rear, 100% now in the front. Tires are 75%, lame looking highway tread but hey lol.
It has the Z71 suspension package, tow package, and has 3.73 gears with the G80 locker.
There is some rust on the frame, but all of it looks superficial. Not surprising given it is Ohio we're talking about. I'd probably wire wheel and coat the frame if I get it. Nothing crusty or flaky inside when I felt around in there.
No rust on the doors I saw offhand.
Some rust just behind the tail lights when opening the liftgate. Almost like the tail lights rub the paint off. Again, looks very superficial, and since it is behind the lights I could probably clean that up and spray some rust stopper paint on it and you'd never even notice unless you opened the tailgate.
It has a Tonneau cover on the bed. Bed looks to be in great shape.
Has a couple deeper scratches on the passenger side behind the rear door. Through the clearcoat but does not look to be through the paint. No rust.
Wheels have a little corrosion on them. 18" with 265/65/18 tires. To be honest I might switch to 17" wheels later, given the cost of 18" tires!
It drove really, really well. Holy crap I didn't think pickups could ride that nice. It felt huge too compared to the TB.

Oh, the salesman was really nice too. And as noted the pricing is like right in line with what it should be. No real wiggle room but when you already start out there then that takes the nuisance out of that part of buying anyway.

*edit* oh yeah they also are including a 30 day/1500 mile powertrain warranty. No deductible or anything like that, so if something went wrong during that time they'd cover it entirely. Yeah, only 30 days, but thought it was a nice gesture since most places won't give you squat for a warranty for a vehicle over 100k miles.

I'm really seriously considering it.

*EDIT2*

So I did research and it would seem the lifter noise is indeed caused by the AFM lifters. There is a TSB for that (10-06-01-007B) so I'm thinking of asking them to do that work as part of a purchase agreement.

20150511_172839.jpg

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
It's sharp looking! I've already mentioned some things to you, but I'll add as they come to mind. Check the diff seals and look for signs of leaking. My front diff had a seal leak that didn't show up right away. Wasn't bad and I've fixed it, but it would be easy to spot as long as there isn't a skid plate or something in the way. I also had a rear axle seal leak that the dealer fixed prior to me getting the truck.

With a lot of these, you can spot the leaks right away, even if they clean them up. Just look above some the adjacent areas where they might not wipe up for any slinging grease or oil, and also inside the wheels as well.

Check that the parking brake works!

If power folding mirrors, check that they work. Known for breaking a gear inside and GM wants like over $500 a mirror to replace...cause the insides aren't sold anywhere. However...there is a guy on another forum that is going to start making a replacement gear if he can get like 20 preorders for those stricken with inop power folding mirrors. Mine worked until I left them out during the first automatic carwash. Passenger side won't fold anymore. Dumb me.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Oh that reminded me of another thing they did, they did replace diff seals too.

Mirrors are manual folding.

I forgot about the parking brake. Mine hasn't worked in my TB for a couple years now so I totally didn't even think about it.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Sounds pretty good actually. Amazing how nice it drives, isn't it!

You can ask but it's doughtful they will fix the lifters, even if it is the AFM issue. The heads have to come off. They won't pay for that. Do a little more research, ticking lifters don't nessesarly mean an issue caused by the DOD. You'll know it because of a missfire and code. The ticking can be caused by other things as well, you'd have to dig into it though.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
From reading it sounds like it can start with just the noise at cold startup. At that point it is just lifters only. Once it starts running weird and throwing codes it can mean the lifters failed enough to actually score the cam.

I spoke to the salesman, gave him the TSB info, and it sounded like he understood my concern and said he'd go talk to the service manager about it.

Even if they don't do it I may still buy the truck as I see DOD delete kits out there that while they do require pulling the heads I could do myself and learn something along the way. The way I see it is any truck around that time period is likely to have AFM and could run into the same issue anyway, so it shouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So they called me back and of course it made no lifter noise this morning. They let it sit for a few hours, came back to it, still OK. Came back a 3rd time, still OK. He said they'll let it sit overnight now and see if it does it in the morning or not.

Yesterday when I first looked at it he tried starting it with remote start but it just cranked repeatedly without starting. Fuel was low so it wasn't letting it remote start. Put gas in it and it remote started just fine. But I'm wondering if maybe the repeated cranking with no oil pressure just drained the lifters out so they made some noise until they pumped back up? Does that sound crazy?

Anyway, I'll find out tomorrow. If it doesn't do it again then I may not worry about it much. Heck, my Trailblazer has had cold start valve lash ticking for a couple years now.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
you can get a Diablo tuner and disable AFM. it will also allow you to make adjustments to your truck.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Or HP Tuners too right? If I got something like that I could use it on my car too... After I learned something on how to use it. I've never tuned an engine before, so I'd want to be careful so I don't screw anything up!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
HP tuners will do both, you just have to pay $200 for each license, I think. You can actually create a backup of your present tune so if you do screw it up you have a backup. kind of like a firmware backup.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
HP Tuners comes with 8 credits. My Camaro would use 2 credits, and I think the truck would be only 2 credits also, which would leave 4 spares (which is perfect as I plan a powertrain swap for the Camaro down the road). HP Tuners does cost $500 though.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I knew you got some credits when you first buy it, I just wasn't sure how many. I will likely get the HP Tuner since I still have the TB and can use it on there. The Diablo would allow me to create multiple tunes and change then as I need to on the fly.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Either way I won't get anything for a while. I don't have any money lol.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Another way to disable the DOD is to turn on Tow/Haul mode. Granted that has to be done everytime you drive it, but it does override DOD. At the very least you could turn on T/H during hwy driving.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Sparky said:
Either way I won't get anything for a while. I don't have any money lol.
You could always hold back $500 from your large down payment and buy the HP Tuner. :wink: :yes:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
DocBrown said:
Another way to disable the DOD is to turn on Tow/Haul mode. Granted that has to be done everytime you drive it, but it does override DOD. At the very least you could turn on T/H during hwy driving.
And the downside of the changed shift points while it's in tow mode..

I know on our 03 Silverado tow mode changed the shift points a good bit, had to get to a higher rpm before it would shift to the next gear.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
So is it yours?

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
I seem to recall seeing mine change from v8 to v4 while in tow mode. Hell for that matter while in "3" instead of drive.

Guess I'll have to check it out on the way home tonight.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Ok so I tested it on the way home. Sure enough it does switch from v8 to v4 while in tow mode. Now with it in 3, doesn't change.

I don't think I could deal with the shift points in tow haul mode if not towing, just to disable dod.

Not sure why mine does it. It's not like I've done any special tunes etc.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Dude I was already researching LED tails, retrofits for the headlights, and pondering exhausts and stuff. Thing is, I also just bought a new furnace, so my bank account went from looking pretty nice to next to nothing in about 24 hours LOL no mods for a while until the bank account can recover!

Reactions: Mounce

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome to the Trailblazer & Silverado club.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Congrats! Told you we would find u a truck! :smile:

Going to Norwalk this weekend with the fam...not sure where u are in Ohio though...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
She's clean, congratulations. Let the mod bug grow.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online