Should I Flip My Axle?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I've got this nice utility trailer:

vPTFlah.jpg

It's very low to the ground. But scraping it now and then isn't that bad. But what is bad is that I also have a boat, and it's trailer is normal height. Which means I need to use an extra rattley, adjustable-height ball mount. But the axle on this trailer is on top of the springs, so if I do the old axle flip trick, where I unbolt the axle and bolt it back on underneath the springs, the height should be right on par with my other trailer. So I should be able to tow both trailers with a single fixed ball mount. And the extra ground clearance will help stop me from scraping the trailer when it's loaded up. I don't usually put 3 pieces of wood in there as pictured. If I'm using it, it's probably a lot more full (http://i.imgur.com/BEjn6o2.jpg).

So my question is just, is there a downside to doing this? I don't have a "trailer" forum so I figured this is as good a place as any. I did read that it can affect center of gravity and aerodynamics, but those aren't really issues with a flatbed trailer like this. I also don't generally do long distance driving with it, only local stuff. Any other thoughts?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Center of gravity is only good while taking corners and rollovers but I doubt you'll be running slaloms with it. Aerodynamics you shouldn't really care neither as this is a utility trailer. This could affect a travel trailer as it would be more in the wind.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I see a lot of trailers (or heck even pickups too) have the axle underneath the spring instead of above. I don't see a problem.

07Denali

Feb 28, 2013
No down side for a small trailer like that. My only concern is if there are thru bolts on the other side of the leaf springs to locate the axle if you flip it like there is on the top currently to hold the axle in its location.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It can't hurt.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
When I was working building trailers for a few months all of them we made were spring-over-axle. I don't see what could go bad wrong. Will have a major fender gap I imagine but that's about it.

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
There are kits you can buy to flip the axle. It may be obvious, but you can't turn the axle upside down to bolt it on the other side of the springs.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
There are kits you can buy to flip the axle. It may be obvious, but you can't turn the axle upside down to bolt it on the other side of the springs.
I've seen those kids but i'm not sure why I'd need them. It looks like I could easily just bolt the axle to the other side of the springs, without flipping it, nice and easy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.