shocks/struts time to replace, need specific input

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Howdy,
It's time to replace at least the rear shocks as they have lost at least some pressure and bottom at times. It looks like the overwhelming recommendation on GMTN is to get Bilstein for the front but the rears don't seem to carry any preference here. The Billsteins are not available from Rockauto, are any of their available units worthwhile, ie KYB?
Also, I do quite a bit of towing/hauling and I'm wondering if the Monroe Sensatrac load adjusting shocks are a good alternative or just a coil over gimmick that also makes the shock part of the unit suffer.
I'm looking to order soon, so if any advice please share.
Thanks, Bill.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Rockauto's not the only vendor out there. Highly recommend tracking down the Bilsteins. Unless you intend to lift it soon in which case you might target one of the recommended longer ones from offroadtb.com.

I see the F4-BE5-A335-H0 listed at Summit Racing, but with new number 24-103350. Also Amazon, Ebay, eshocks and shockwarehouse and a raft of others.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Are those the shocks with the coil spring on them?

I would not want to be adding additional forces to the shock mounts. They are not real heavy duty.

There is the use of z71 springs if you need something for towing, but they do lift the rear a bit.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Has anyone heard anything about the BDS Fox series shocks, they have a listing for our application?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Couple Ortb members run them. Seem to be OK but aren't they pricy? Fox name adds a odd fee on most stuff that I have never found warranted.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Bilstein HD's for all four corners on my truck.

Part numbers are 24-103336 (front) and 24-103350 (rear).

Shock55 used give a discount at shockwarehouse.com. Not sure if it is still active. Try it...

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Thanks for all the input guys.
Looks like I'll hold out and get the bilsteins all around when $ is more available. Also, I hate spending money on this truck, I was rushed into getting it and spent more and had to finance it, so I'm upside down in it now and $ crazy tight (nonexistent) and if anything major (eng, trans, etc) happens I'm screwed and have bought all these other parts, argh. Other than crappy MPG, I like the truck and all I can do with it and my family fits in it.
Thanks again, Bill.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Could be worse. Could have bought a Ford.

Keep up on the recommended services found here, fluids etc and you'll be fine. :2thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Playsinsnow said:

Keep up on the recommended services found here, fluids etc and you'll be fine. :2thumbsup:

Makes sense

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have the Bilsteins in all 4 corners and like the difference over stock. I also replaced the sway bar bushings and the sway links. At present I am replacing the ball joints and upper control arm bushings. In the fall I will replace the lower.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
+1 on the Bilsteins. Autoplicity.com has great prices, too.

You'll also need new strut mounts. FYI.

Jared

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I broke mine but if they are solid they should be OK.

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Playsinsnow said:

LOL, but Ford didn't offer a comparable vehicle in my price range (haha) and in my area. This was the only EXT (or any 3 row seating 4wd suv) within 75 miles of me at the time (motor blown in last ride) and it 2 happened to be right in my town.
Didn't have to be a Chevy, just Big 3, and actually I grew up a Pontiac fan (what's a Pontiac haha). I've had good success with the few Fords we own, not great but same could be said by most here about our GMs.

I'm trying to treat the TB as an asset, keeping it mechanically sound as best as possible but not going crazy about it in the process, I'd like to do a few little mods but they're on the backburner until funds, time, and need permit.

Thanks again for all the input, Bill.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have had great luck with the Fords I have owned up until now. The two gm trucks i have owned it has been 50 50 . One was a warranty nightmare and then the motor went way too soon after I had babied it from new. The trailbazer has been great.Knock on wood.

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
Hey, quick question...does the front end need an alignment after pulling the strut tower? I don't think it does, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It shouldn't. Adding a lift will change toe-in, but if you leave the UCA and LCA alone, and the strut stays the same length and you're only changing the shock, you should be fine.

That said, if your alignment is over a year old, you should consider getting one anyway. Unless you only use it to go to the mall and church and don't hit potholes.

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
I appreciate the quick response. Yes, the envoy is a grocery getter, but we do put around 20,000 miles a year on it in our travels to Iowa and Yellowstone. Looking forward to going into the park next week!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.