Shock Replacement

pmsmith2032

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Chicago
I need to replace the shocks/struts on my 2005 Envoy SLT (has approximately 110,000 so well overdue) and have a couple of questions:

1. I have done some research and it sounds like the Bilstein are best. How do I tell if I have rear air suspension? I can't seem to find pictures.

2. It looks like the rears are easy to do. Do I need to buy anything besides the shocks themselves? Any replacement mounts, etc?

3. Just how hard are the front struts to replace? I know that the struts have to be removed from the springs which require a special tool and can be dangerous. I have worked on cars a lot (brakes, spark plugs, thermostat, alternator etc) but never worked with shocks/struts. I was thinking of removing the struts themselves, and then taking them to a shop to have the springs removed and reinstalled on the struts. Does that sound like a decent plan? Any idea on costs for spring swap? Do the springs ever need to be replaced?

4. What else needs to be purchased and replaced on the fronts?

5. How long would both the front and back take?

Thanks in advance!

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
1.) If you look at your rear axle, follow it to the outside and look for coil springs. If you see coil springs then you do not have air suspension. If you look to the outsides of the axle from underneath and see big black bags then you have air suspension.

2.) The rears you don't need anything more than a socket set and wrenches for it. No other parts are necessary.

3.) This depends on your comfort level and tools available. I myself like a challenge and figured I would risk having the spring unload and kill me in the driveway. I rented the spring compressors from advance auto and had to use some ingenuity for getting the locking pins to secure with how thick the springs are on our truck and I put some PB blaster on the spring compressor threads and used my impact gun to tighten the spring in. I then grabbed a pair of pliers and locked them around the shock piston and used the impact gun to spin off the shock mount. Then you just swap over the spring to the new bilstein shock and install new mounts if yours are worn out and go on your way. The safest thing would be to ask a local shop but it really isn't hard to do if you can use an impact gun for it all. As for the replacing of the springs, just check them for cracks and sagging. My rear springs were stock and they were worn out when I bought my truck at 100k and when I added my system to the rear, my truck dropped a ton. My fronts however have some rust on the lower perch of the spring but they are perfectly fine, nice and level and have no signs of fatigue or sagging.

4.) The fronts usually need to have the shock mount replaced as they are rubber and wear out with age. I replaced mine with brand new moog mounts and it have been good for me. If your current mounts are not old and dry you could re-use them but honestly its one of those things that while you are at it, why not just replace them with a new component instead of taking it back out down the line and replace it.

5.) I did both of mine on different days. With my rears, I had went through and dropped the whole rear end down to put in z71 springs and then did the shocks which combined took me 3 hours. I would say just the shocks in the rear are maybe a 30 min project if that. Just need a wrench, socket set and you can do it while it is on the ground. The front's had taken me about 2 hours but I spent more time with figuring out how to take the yoke off the lower control arm mount and wiggling it out because I was not about to disconnect my upper ball joint to take it off like others have done in the past.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
All answered pretty good, but my advice would be that since you cant figure out if you have coils or air bags in the rear...you probably should let someone else do the struts. Hate to see someone get hurt.

pmsmith2032

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Chicago
Thanks. The main danger is removing the spring from the old strut and reinstalling it on the new strut, correct? There is little danger in removing/reinstalling the strut/spring on the truck, right?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Correct.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
pmsmith2032 said:
There is little danger in removing the strut/spring on the truck, right?
If the truck isn't on a secure lift or on jackstands properly and you start whacking, someone could lose an extremity or worse.

Reactions: kickass audio

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You could die if the truck fell off the jack stands and landed on your head...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No. You may have to whack the lower mount a bit to get it to pop loose if it never has been, but properly jacked up and secured, there is not really any more danger than the normal brake change or oil change.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
smt 59 said:
Also with the age of the mechanic I make sure I have liquid courage and Ben-gay, which IS required.
Fixed your post the way I would have written it. :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online