Share some tunes ♪♫♬♩

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Figured i'd create a thread here to share some of our favorite music with each other. Perhaps you'll be introduced to some music you never heard before and find yourself enjoying new song or genre? Who knows? :cool::tiphat:

I'll start us off, maybe somebody here will take an interest in something below:

I like Jazz quite a lot, especially Jazz Lounge (no vocals) type which is just relaxing to hear and unwind too:

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga:
Absolutely beautiful combination of voices. Had no idea Lady Gaga was a Jazz singer as a child and in her teens until I discovered their album together. She should quit the radio type bullcrap music and just stick with Jazz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAmDULCVrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1OdWOLWeCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNh7xyLwwLc

Tony Bennett & Amy Winehouse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OFMkCeP6ok

Vaporwave:
Something more underground and that only recently became more widespread (on Youtube & the internet) is something called Vaporwave. It started off as a joke/meme a few years back on the internet, but then spanned into something with several subgenres. Interesting fact: Vaporwave (& it's sub-genres) is the first music genre to have no country of origin and begin on solely the internet.
You can spend quite a long time looking into the history of how it all started, it's really interesting. I'll leave a link to two videos that explain it all and go down the rabbit hole all about it. It can get complicated:

Since there's so many good mixes to choose from i'll just post my playlist of personal favs that span several genres:
My playlist of Vaporwave & it's subgenre's on Youtube

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2016/11/21/vaporwave-genres-list/
2648de4a10a5d1f95d810ff9a46e461b.jpg

Eminem's debut album Infinite:

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga:
Absolutely beautiful combination of voices. Had no idea Lady Gaga was a Jazz singer as a child and in her teens until I discovered their album together. She should quit the radio type bullcrap music and just stick with Jazz.

:iagree: Glad to see you discovered her work in the genre. From what I've read, she originally performed 'Lush Life' in HS, and if you've listened to 'Cheek to Cheek', that's my favorite song on the album. Choked me up, first time I heard it. Ronstadt's version didn't, by comparison (which takes away nothing from her absolute gift of a voice). I even like it better than Hartman's, which is considered the definitive version, and I've performed that one in the past.

Gaga was quoted as saying she was going to release a jazz album 'every year' - still waiting on that. However, I think she is starting to leave her earlier work behind - she's growing as an artist, and people are realizing that she's got a lot more talent, range and training than they originally gave her credit for. I remember turning on one of my guitarist friends to that album - he couldn't believe it was her singing until I showed him the CD case.

Since you bring up Bennett - enjoy him while you can. The fact that he's now 90 (!) and still has most of his range / technique is simply astonishing. I've seen him twice (and his backing band is stellar, as well.)

As for me... I will listen to just about anything - except opera and one other genre, so I won't list my 'top 10 albums I'd want on a deserted island'. It would be very hard for me to pick 10 and never hear the others again.

I will say that I think the '60s-'80s probably had the best pop/rock; I haven't listened to 'Top 40' for some time now. The music tends to be sampled (and that which isn't, isn't challenging in the least to either listen to, or play), and the singers use autotune more often than not. I'll take my snob hat off now... :wink:

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
:iagree: Glad to see you discovered her work in the genre. From what I've read, she originally performed 'Lush Life' in HS, and if you've listened to 'Cheek to Cheek', that's my favorite song on the album. Choked me up, first time I heard it. Ronstadt's version didn't, by comparison (which takes away nothing from her absolute gift of a voice). I even like it better than Hartman's, which is considered the definitive version, and I've performed that one in the past.

Gaga was quoted as saying she was going to release a jazz album 'every year' - still waiting on that. However, I think she is starting to leave her earlier work behind - she's growing as an artist, and people are realizing that she's got a lot more talent, range and training than they originally gave her credit for. I remember turning on one of my guitarist friends to that album - he couldn't believe it was her singing until I showed him the CD case.

Since you bring up Bennett - enjoy him while you can. The fact that he's now 90 (!) and still has most of his range / technique is simply astonishing. I've seen him twice (and his backing band is stellar, as well.)

As for me... I will listen to just about anything - except opera and one other genre, so I won't list my 'top 10 albums I'd want on a deserted island'. It would be very hard for me to pick 10 and never hear the others again.

I will say that I think the '60s-'80s probably had the best pop/rock; I haven't listened to 'Top 40' for some time now. The music tends to be sampled (and that which isn't, isn't challenging in the least to either listen to, or play), and the singers use autotune more often than not. I'll take my snob hat off now... :wink:
I love Tony & Gaga's album Cheek to Cheek. I binged listened to it for quite a long time driving to and from work. I missed my opportunity to see Bennett live in Atlanta a month or so ago. Totally forgot that he was coming here and missed the chance to see him live.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Reactions: littleblazer

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Reactions: DAlastDON

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Absolutely one of my favorite acoustic versions of a song. One of my favorite bands as well.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Reactions: Tiggerr

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014