service 4WD light - new style

CodeWhite

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
2iksgv4.jpg

What's it mean?

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
your wrench and drivetrain are having an affair and ran off together...

i'm figuring its a service light for the 4WD system, something is fuggered up or about to be

hope youre not stuck axle deep somewhere

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
from the owners manual.....

The service four-wheel drive light comes on, except
for the SS model, to indicate that there may be a
problem with the drive system and service is required.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I think we need more info to assist. Which service light? Is it the service 4x4 light or another one? There are a number of service lights. If it's the service 4x4, you can turn the car off and pull the keys out, then turn the switch back and forth about 20 times or so. Sometimes the contacts on the switches get dirty.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Its a Service 4x4 system light, You have a Canadian cluster I think, and for some reason, the GM people think the Canadians cant read, so they use pictures, that no one has a clue what the pics means. LOL!

Almost willing to bet that its the front axle actuator. Try turning off the truck, count to 10, turn the truck back on, let the engine get operating temp, than try switching it to 4x4. This is what I have to do on my GMT since the dealer is to lazy to perform the repair I told them to do.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
do all Canadian clusters have mph as the dominant speed? thought they would be km's...i dunno really

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, I thought it was a Canadian cluster, but looking closer... I was wrong. When did GM start using pics for American GMT Clusters?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
TollKeeper said:
When did GM start using pics for American GMT Clusters?
Around 2006 or 7. Typically, the dash light will turn om for a communication problem from the PCM to the TCCM. In case of the front actuator ot the transfer case encoder motor having a functional problem, a ligth will flash on the 4WD mode control switch. The true test is to exercise the mode control stiwth through all the modes, and describe the behavior of the lights and the motor noises coming from under the truck in each of the mode transitions. You can do this with the ignition on but the engine off to make it easier to hear.

Also how many miles, and are you doing the transfer case fluid change every 50K as required?

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
damnitalltohell i look like a douche because i couldnt see the pic at work. Sorry OP.

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Well, I thought it was a Canadian cluster, but looking closer... I was wrong. When did GM start using pics for American GMT Clusters?

My 2006 have the pictures like that :smile: Kids like pictures!

LOL

Is the Stabilitrak light on as well? Sometimes both go on in my vehicle, but a shutdown and restart resets them.

Chris

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Sometimes these lights kick on if the vehicle has been parked with the front wheels turned. I notice this is the case with mine anyway and its been mentioned on here as well. Both the service 4x4 light and stabltrack light kick on. Usually returning the wheels to straight ahead and shutting the vehicle down for a few seconds gets them back off. Almost every time i have seen them kick on the front wheels were turned slightly when i parked. So it may have something to do with the sensor in the steering column.

longspur

Jul 9, 2012
CodeWhite said:
2iksgv4.jpg

What's it mean?

Code White and I are both looking for some suggestions as to what the issue is when this light comes on. We would like to know if anyone has suggestions or past experience with repairing this or figuring out why the light is on

My 05 Envoy has about 93,000 miles and this is the first time I have seen it on. What should I look for to fix.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Typically, a problem with the transfer case encoder motor or front axle actuator will result in a flashing light on the mode switch. Perhaps GM changed this to also light up the dash indicator, but on earlier models I'm familiar with, the dash indicator only lights up if the PCM loses data communication to the TCCM. You may need a mechanic with a GM Tech II or similar high end tool to try to communicate to the TCCM.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My service 4x4 light came on because the front axle actuator was not responding to the commanded actions. Dealer swore it was the TCCM not providing/getting enough voltage. New TCCM later, and my Service 4x4 light still goes on if I don't let the truck warm up before switching it to 4x4.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online