Serpentine belt changed improved MPG

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I changed my Serpentine belt over the weekend when I went to visit my parents, the ac delco belt was last changed 2 years ago and had cracks all over it. Was surprised when I drove back to Phoenix, how my gas gauge ended not going to the middle but instead was 2 clicks to the right of the middle mark. Seems it improved my MPG....

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
As the Main Means of Parasitic Drag on all modern engines... The Serpentine Belt deserves a better understanding of what happens when they start to go and what the affects are on all engines. This video is a cool reminder of what it does, why it does it...and what can go wrong if the belt goes bad:

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
More than likely it was different driving conditions like head winds, traffic, speed, hills, etc. I just can't see how a belt could affect MPG that much.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I hate MPG guessing. Do some real calculations over a few thousand miles before claiming something like this please.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I hate MPG guessing. Do some real calculations over a few thousand miles before claiming something like this please.

We all know the Trailblazers have the worst MPG out there, I'm on fuelly inputting the miles to see what it gets. Made the 170 mile trip both ways and on the way back the gas gauge changed, but it could have been the wind change, the temp changed, etc

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Considering the history of inaccuracy in the GM gauges, it could be as simple as a glitch in that.

Trailblazers actually get decent MPG...sure not like a car but for an SUV, they are damn good. 20+ in well maintained stock form with decent driving habits.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Considering the history of inaccuracy in the GM gauges, it could be as simple as a glitch in that.

Trailblazers actually get decent MPG...sure not like a car but for an SUV, they are damn good. 20+ in well maintained stock form with decent driving habits.

Prove that? Because my is stock with over $2.5k put into it and it has no spare tire and even the tires where picked due to the weight difference over stock...and I am not even getting 20mpg on the highway, street driving I am lucky if I get 16mpg... Porsche mpg without the sports car fun...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I did it the whole time I was stock. Many do it. Prolly your driving style, not the truck then.

--But street at 16 is good and you should definitely be 19-20 highway then.

I average 16 with all my mods and mixed street n highway. I have gotten 20+ over 100s of highway miles if I stick to 55-65 on my 35s. That was scangauge and calculator verified cause i did not believe it would still be possible.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
16 Sounds really low, especially if its being highway driven. Depending on the stretch of highway I get roughly 20.5 to 22 (while doing the math when filling up) with my Envoy and I have two extra cylinders haha. My city mileage falls in between 13ish, my previous TB Ext with the 5.3 was able to get 15-16 in the city thanks to DoD. I always had bad city MPG, no matter what my driving style was. My first Envoy was capable of getting 23.7 on the highway, but I was lucky to hit 12 on a good day in the city (I averaged 10 normally). Could it have been my driving style? maybe, but I try to lay off the throttle and let it coast when stuck in traffic. Highway wise, I always stick to 65 since that seems to be the sweet spot.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I did it the whole time I was stock. Many do it. Prolly your driving style, not the truck then.

Sorry but your wrong, I live in the city where I drive around town and I will also get on the freeway to drive around Phoenix, no point in driving this heavy pig like a race car, its just not meant for that.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Right and they should get 20 stock.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online