FEEDBACK "Seek... And Ye Shall Find..."

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Not without Good Reason… a topical issue in active discussion lately has been how difficult it can be to Sift through a Sea of Words and Images in many of my posts in order to locate more precise pieces of information or images and not have to plow through reams of text to find things. So I thought I would do a Cliff Notes “How-To-Search-Efficiently” technique using the standard Firefox Browser Feature. Don't laugh... I do realize that damned near everybody knows all about these features. But in spite of this... I myself sort of backed into taking advantage of this solution after I realized I could reduce the time it was taking me to find portions I had been working on previously ...without remembering precisely where such things were buried in all of the extensive texts. I just had to input scraps of specific expressions, part descriptions or subject matter that were unique enough to make it work. So if you have not been using this technique... I thought I would mention it here:

(1) Use the GMT Nation Advanced Search Feature to isolate the broad strokes of the Major On-Topic Posts.
(2) After selecting the likely candidate(s)… Navigate to each of the individual Post pages.
(3) Click on the Three Parallel Bars “Open Menu” Icon in the upper right hand corner of the Browser.
(4) Select the Magnifying Glass “Find” Icon from the opened Sub-Menu.
(5) Move your focus to the lower left corner of the Browser and observe the open Input Screen Block.
(6) Type in a Word, Expression or Part Number unique enough to narrow the scope of the “Find”.
(7) Use the “Up-Down” Arrows to ensure that all examples of the “Find” search can be located.
(8) Repeat these steps on each individual Page Number within the Posts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, very topical indeed. Another quick way to get the browser's find box is to hit CTRL+F if using a computer. All browsers, including mobile versions, have a menu option for this as well.

The forum's search feature is sometimes lacking and often fails to find things that are known to be here. One reason is short and common words will be skipped. A better way is to use Google. You can use any search term and it will find it by adding the tag site:gmtnation.com.
The following link will show how to use it:
http://bfy.tw/AET4

However, that method will search the entire site but you can narrow it down to a specific user by adding the user name like I did.

Reactions: mrrsm and Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.