Screeching, Crunching, Rattling at low speeds - Disconnect Bearings???

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Earlier today as I was backing out of a parking spot I heard crunching/rattling coming from possibly the front right. After I starting to go forward I heard a metal on metal screeching noise, similar to the the noise from the brake dust shields (been there and done that). The crunch/rattle/metal noises only happen at low speeds (20 mph or lower) and seem to only happen when turning (slight turn or full turn). I am unable to get the noises to repeat on command, they seem to happen randomly and not every time. There is no noise going straight or at speeds greater then 20 mph.

After much searching it seems like it could be a failed CV Joint. Does this sound like the correct path or is there another area to look into?

-90,000 miles.
-All fluids are current and in good condition.
-Brake pads and rotors are new.
-The CV Boots are not torn.
-There is no obvious signs of leaking.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
Perhaps if you put in 4hi and turn slowly from left to right you would surely hear a bad front cv joint. Noises can be deceiving when intermittant and could be something else. Slow speed and only hear when turning could be a cv but check your hub bearings too. Just spin the tire look for wobble and can grab tire at 8and 2oclock, 10n4 o'clock etc while elevated and see if there is play? This helps with slack in the rack if doing 9/3 o'clock sometimes the racks moves on ya.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Check the disconnect. That's the side it is on and maybe it has worn and started having enough slop for the CV to rub against the housing at certain angles. There should be almost no wiggle in the CV where it goes into the disconnect.

When mine got worn the CV could wiggle a fair bit.

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
I just had the same issue, it ended up being the rear u-joint.

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
dla442 said:
Perhaps if you put in 4hi and turn slowly from left to right you would surely hear a bad front cv joint. Noises can be deceiving when intermittent and could be something else. Slow speed and only hear when turning could be a cv.....
I went to an open parking lot and did several slow figure eights with and without 4hi active, forward and in reverse.. I could not replicate the noise (crunch, screech or rattle). No other noise/sounds were present either. Switching the truck into and out 4WD sounds normal.

dla442 said:
......check your hub bearings too. Just spin the tire look for wobble and can grab tire at 8and 2oclock, 10n4 o'clock etc while elevated and see if there is play? This helps with slack in the rack if doing 9/3 o'clock sometimes the racks moves on ya.
In the garage I jacked up the driver side and grabbed the tire at 8/2, 10/4, 12/6, 9/3, etc and there was no play or wobble present. I did the same thing for the passenger side and there also was no play/wobble present.

I spun the driver side tire it and seemed to spin smooth and without a large amount of effort and did not make any noise. When I spun the passenger side tire it seemed to me that there was more effort needed to spin the tire and after a few rotations it felt like there was an increase in resistant turning. Also there seems to be a slight and faint screech when the tire was turning. I couldn't tell exactly where it coming from.

Sparky said:
Check the disconnect. That's the side it is on and maybe it has worn and started having enough slop for the CV to rub against the housing at certain angles. There should be almost no wiggle in the CV where it goes into the disconnect.

When mine got worn the CV could wiggle a fair bit.
While the passenger side tire was jacked up I grabbed a hold of the CV shaft/axle (proper name?) between the two rubber boots and also between the rubber boot and the engine side and I did not feel any movement/wiggle.

barron03 said:
I just had the same issue, it ended up being the rear u-joint.
I looked at both u joints on the rear drive shaft and both did not have any obvious visual signs of problems. There was no movement (up/down and left/right) when I spun the drive shaft. They did not move when I pulled and pushed on the drive shaft.

Going back to the passenger side tire, is the increase in resistant when spinning it a normal thing because of the disconnect? Is the slight screech a sign of anything?

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I had to replace both front hubs this past winter. Neither one had any wobble but they had resistance when turning the wheels by hand. Put a stethascope or long screwdriver on the back of the hubs and listen too them while spinning by hand.

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
rcam81 said:
I had to replace both front hubs this past winter. Neither one had any wobble but they had resistance when turning the wheels by hand. Put a stethascope or long screwdriver on the back of the hubs and listen too them while spinning by hand.
Using a stethoscope, I do not hear anything while touching the back of the hub. I checked both sides.

I have definitely narrowed this down to the front passenger side. With the passenger side jacked up and the tire spinning forward there is a noticeable sound. If the valve stem is in the 12 o'clock position it will make a click, and after each rotation when the valve stem reaches the 12 o'clock position it will make the same click sound. There sounds like a faint grinding noise also. Using the stethoscope it difficult to get an accurate reading of the CV Axle because it is sniping and the stethoscope makes noise while it drags.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Pull the passenger CV axle and try spinning the hub again. Might tell you whether it is hub related or disconnect internals related.

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
CaptainKD said:
Using a stethoscope, I do not hear anything while touching the back of the hub. I checked both sides.

I have definitely narrowed this down to the front passenger side. With the passenger side jacked up and the tire spinning forward there is a noticeable sound. If the valve stem is in the 12 o'clock position it will make a click, and after each rotation when the valve stem reaches the 12 o'clock position it will make the same click sound. There sounds like a faint grinding noise also. Using the stethoscope it difficult to get an accurate reading of the CV Axle because it is sniping and the stethoscope makes noise while it drags.
My guess is CV. Clicking is a dead giveaway in my opinion if there is no noise or play in the hub. Check each boot on that cv axle REALLY closely, I bet you will find a little tear in one. Any grease slung out around or near the joints in that axle?

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
RayGumm said:
My guess is CV. Clicking is a dead giveaway in my opinion if there is no noise or play in the hub. Check each boot on that cv axle REALLY closely, I bet you will find a little tear in one. Any grease slung out around or near the joints in that axle?
No grease slung out anywhere that I can find.

I'm thinking its either the hub or the axle. Either way I'm gonna tear into it and figure it out this afternoon. Thanks for everyone's help with the troubleshooting. :thumbsup: I will update later with the culprit that I find.

Reactions: dmanns67

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
Good luck sir!

CV joints have been known to go hinky even if the boot's not compromised, hell I have even bought them already bad. Happens.

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
I ended up installing a new hub on the passenger side today. I used a Moog Hub Assembly (Part # 513188) from Advance Auto. With a 30% coupon code it ended up costing $120 with tax.

After installing the hub it solved the clicking noise that happened when the tire is rotated by hand and also the tire rotated smoother and without resistance. Although when I went on a test ride there was still a slight squeak during right turns only. The squeak would not happen every time, I would guess to say 2 out of 20 right turns. I'm not convinced that I'm out of the woods yet and I plan on monitoring this week.

The grinding type noise is still present and seems to be coming from the axle disconnect area. I'm not sure if this is normal noise or not. Below is a video of the axle/disconnect area while I am turning the axle. Is this sound good or bad?

You Tube video of disconnect noise - click me to watch

Reactions: dmanns67

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
UPDATE

I ended up taking out the axle and found out the outer bearing in the disconnect had been completely destroyed. There appeared to be minimal to no grease on the outer bearing casing and rust on the bottom half if the disconnect housing where the outer seal sits. After putting in a new set of bearings and outer seal the axle turns smooth and quiet. Thanks for all the help with the troubleshooting. :grouphug:

And for those that like to see pics.............. :biggrin:

View attachment 57160

View attachment 57161

View attachment 57162

View attachment 57163

View attachment 57164

View attachment 57165

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez