Sanity check on DRL conversion

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
What I'd like to do is eliminate the standard DRLs so I have regular headlights. Then, I'd like to use LED strips under the headlights as DRLs.

The proper way to do this is to install a DRL killer kit, then install the LED strips and wire them to any circuit that is on when the engine is running. Correct? Am I missing something?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Am I missing something?

:thumbsup: Only thing you're missing, is having it done already. Now cut that mod bug loose and let it go! :biggrin:

I used fuse 22 in the front block for my LED strips/demon eyes. :twocents:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That is basically what I did on my Trailblazer. Only functional difference is they are on anytime the engine is running, not just while in gear like factory. Also, they'll stay on when you turn your headlights on, unless you put a relay or something in to switch them off when you hit the parking lights or low beams (I opted for parking lights turning off the DRL as I set mine up in a switchback style).

Reactions: Blckshdw

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I've seen reference to a DRL killer that retains the auto headlight function. Can I get a link to this mod, please?

That is basically what I did on my Trailblazer. Only functional difference is they are on anytime the engine is running, not just while in gear like factory. Also, they'll stay on when you turn your headlights on, unless you put a relay or something in to switch them off when you hit the parking lights or low beams (I opted for parking lights turning off the DRL as I set mine up in a switchback style).
Can you give me a schematic for this, please?

:thumbsup: Only thing you're missing, is having it done already. Now cut that mod bug loose and let it go! :biggrin:

I used fuse 22 in the front block for my LED strips/demon eyes. :twocents:
Can you post a picture of what these look like? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Please use the multi quote function :smile:

It is simple, you use the normally closed pins on the relay for the DRL you have, then the coil of the relay is triggered by the parking light circuit. When the parking lights turn on, it energizes the coil, which opens the circuit to the DRL and they shut off.

Basic relay circuit is all it is. First hit via google images

pin_switch_diagram.jpg

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
You can also contact @Midnyteryder196 ... He has a way you can move your drls....
Thanks. Message inbound

Please use the multi quote function :smile:

It is simple, you use the normally closed pins on the relay for the DRL you have, then the coil of the relay is triggered by the parking light circuit. When the parking lights turn on, it energizes the coil, which opens the circuit to the DRL and they shut off.

Basic relay circuit is all it is. First hit via google images

pin_switch_diagram.jpg
OK. I understand the circuit. Thanks.

Reactions: Trkdrvremt
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
In theory it's pretty simple, although I haven't tested with "just" a light source.. My testing has been though another relay but it really should work all the same to power led strips.

Check out my write up for fog drl, but instead of tapping into the fog circuit, run the wire from pin 87a out to your strips. That wire will be the ground for your strips.
Run a fused power wire to the strips, and it should function just like your low beam drl did. Will only come on in gear, during the day. Will shut off when auto lights come on, or when you turn your headlight switch to park or headlight. Also they will become your nighttime perimeter lighting when remote unlocking.

I can also set you up with a relay for it also, just check out http://dmwalrad.wix.com/gmt-mods and order the fog drl relay setup.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Excellent! I'll get an order together for the fog DRL relay setup. Now, on to pick out the LEDs...

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online