Saab 9-7X rear suspension

SaabScott

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
My right rear airbag is failing. Based on previous posts I have read, replacement Arnott airbags are best purchased on Amazon.

I figure if I have to do those, it also makes sense to consider replacing the rear shocks.

I prefer the stock set up and feel of the truck and am wondering what my best options for that would be.

Bilstein (24-103336) 4600 Series Shock Absorber
These are listed as fitting and Bilstein has a pretty good rep.

Does anyone have any experience with the rear suspension on the 9-7X?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I have some air bags from my ss absolutely no dry rot and in awesome shape.

SaabScott

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
OK, it seems like the best way to go will be the Arnott airbags on Amazon.

Question I do have ... until I am able to do the replacement, what exactly am I riding on? Is it the shock or does the chassis settle down on part of the suspension.

Lastly, I called a local dealer ... they quoted me 1.5 hours PER SIDE for replacement. I could have sworn I saw comments where people said they did both sides in about an hour. Is it really THAT easy?

Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's easy. And you're probably riding on the bump stops. Red conical bumpers hit a plate on the axle. They're easy to spot. Have you bent over and looked yet?

SaabScott

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
The_Roadie said:
It's easy. And you're probably riding on the bump stops. Red conical bumpers hit a plate on the axle. They're easy to spot. Have you bent over and looked yet?
I did ... but didn't spend a lot of time looking.

OK, that makes me feel better. I had a long drive today and another tomorrow (but with additional weight).

Will order the parts and try to get it done ASAP!

SaabScott

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Parts ordered. 1-3 business day expedited delivery to my US office. Might be able to get them on a run Thursday and install them on Saturday ... hopefully!

Lonestar245

Sep 6, 2013
Let us know what shocks you selected, and if you like them versus the OEM.

I noticed Amazon sells a variety of rear shock brands that fit the 9.7x, including AC Delco. I really like the ride of my 9.7x as it came out of the factory, so I am considering the AC Delco, but then who knows if these are actually tuned for the 9.7x, or are they a more generic "GMT Rear Shock". Then again, who knows if the 9.7x had a different shock tune (as was suggested by Saab) versus the other brands of GMTs?

BTW, the part Amazon suggest is AC Delco 540-299 @ $47.36ea- w/free shipping.

SaabScott

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I didn't end up touching the shocks.

And other than the airbags having been in there since new and therefore very hard to remove, the overall job was surprisingly easy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online