Saab 9-7x: Fogs as DRL easily

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This is a companion article to Saab 9-7x: Disable DRL easily. I wanted DRL's but not the ones in the turn signals because they suck and also burn the inner lenses. In my previous article, when I disabled the DRL's, it also disabled the perimeter lighting.

Go under your left rear seat and remove the fuse panel cover. As per the picture, you are looking for two wires. GM was nice enough to put them side by side for us. One is dark green, the other green with a white stripe. The dark green wire is the one that sends the signal to the turn signal module to turn on the front turn signals, which we want to disable. Cut it and strip the end that come from the plug. Then, strip a part of the green/white wire. Connect the green wire to the green/white wire. Tape and you're done.

Clip 002.jpg
20150511_152624 (Large).jpg

And the way it works is exactly the same way the DRL's worked. When put in gear, the fogs will light up. When you turn on the headlights, the fogs will turn off and you will have to turn them on if you want them. Perimeter lighting is now done with the fogs, which is better than the turn signals.

And you will not have to cut the wire at the turn signal module as this essentially does the same thing.

Note: This mod is ONLY for those equipped with the factory HID headlights (option code TT6).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sid Coleman

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
Nice, I may have to try this in the Rainier.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Does it also use the turn signals as DRL's?

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
Good point, I will have to check as I am not 100% certain that it does. Thanks.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah because if it uses the headlamps, it's a totally different system. I'd have to look through the schematics to see how the headlamp DRL's are activated since it uses PWM as 70% to dim them when activated.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online