Rough idle, what's causing?

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Unless it was some weird random book rate.... I didn't have to remove anything beyond what was directly associated with the pump and solenoid. Left the hoses in place. Nothing else was really in the way. I think it took me longer to fumble finger the power connector in to place on the new pump than any other part of the process. :smile:

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
:duh:
Unless it was some weird random book rate.... I didn't have to remove anything beyond what was directly associated with the pump and solenoid. Left the hoses in place. Nothing else was really in the way. I think it took me longer to fumble finger the power connector in to place on the new pump than any other part of the process. :smile:

I'm not mechanically inclined at all so we will see how long it takes me :duh:

I think they just tried to rip you off, plain and simple. They threw a number and waited whether you swallow it or not...

Ya but I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'm not gonna pay more for that than what they were gonna charge me to do valve cover gaskets

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
How recently did you read your codes? With the light stuck on for an existing problem, another code can come up and you'll never know it's there unless you look. Read them again and then try to read them while it's in the act of idling rough.

Reactions: tsmith1156

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
How recently did you read your codes? With the light stuck on for an existing problem, another code can come up and you'll never know it's there unless you look. Read them again and then try to read them while it's in the act of idling rough.

Just checked them like a week ago, it usually only does it after my drive to work, at least when it's really rough

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you can get the superficial air intake plenum removed (fairly easy) it should give you enough room to work to be able to put your elbow in your ear down there. Procedurally... these following ideas...along with a handful of Basic Metric Tools and some Common Sense will let you repair damned near everything yourself on this vehicle.. .short of Engine-Transmission-Gear Box and Rear Differential Change-Outs:

(1) ALWAYS refer to the Shop Manual (Google for written How-To PDFs & Part Data).
(2) ALWAYS take Digital Images & make a folder specific to each repair and park them there.

A Nickel's Worth of FREE Mechanical Repair Advice:

Youtube videos are abundant for doing most common repairs and they can take the sting out of having little or no experience when doing such jobs for the first time. Careful, thoughtful research will help to remove that lump in your throat when you first start removing the fasteners. ANYTHING that is thin,,, or made of plastic or has any kind of hoses or wire connectors attached to it will be more delicate than a Rare Porcelain Egg from Faberge'... so TAKE YOUR TIME WHEN REMOVING THINGS THAT ARE ATTACHED AND STOP IMMEDIATELY IF THE RESISTANCE SEEMS TOO GREAT. Use your Noggin' and think things through. Learn the the differences early between Inch Pounds and Foot Pounds ...for example.

Don't begin a project on a vehicle that is your only Daily Driver until you have three times as much available time to start and finish the job as the manual suggests and you know that you will not need it to pick up the kids from school...pick up the wife ...or take her to the hospital to have a baby...or God Forbid..have to take your Mother-In-Law clothes shopping.

Never start on a Work Day...Never start a Repair Project until you are certain that you have assembled all the tools, parts, gaskets, sealants, fasteners and instructions...first hand. And last but not least... Use a Notepad, Pencil and a Hot Cup of Coffee to sit down and PLAN EVERYTHING FIRST... long before you raise the hood and "Turn Two" on the Job...and ALWAYS USE THE SEARCH FEATURE HERE AT GMT NATION TO SEE IF SOMEBODY ELSE HAS ALREADY PLOUGHED THE FIELD AHEAD OF YOU.

Well...That pretty much covers everything... You have friends here that are total strangers right now...who will give you much of their time and energy and experience and knowledge because at one time or another ...they have been exactly where you are right now... so... Not to Worry, Brother! You can do this!

Good Luck...

Last edited:

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I used YouTube videos for what I've done so far but I couldn't find any on the secondary air system pump and check valve

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just pull the fuses for the 2ndary air pump. It does nothing after 30 seconds. You can then buy the blockoff plate and get the code tuned out so no dash lights. Be cheaper and never worry about it again. Worked great for me over the years.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Just pull the fuses for the 2ndary air pump. It does nothing after 30 seconds. You can then buy the blockoff plate and get the code tuned out so no dash lights. Be cheaper and never worry about it again. Worked great for me over the years.

That's what I'm gonna do, I talked to Chris and Nate and they told me the same thing, just send my pcm to limeswap and they can turn the light off and I can get the block off plate from them. Did you have problems with your secondary air system too?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I filled mine with water one too many times and it would trigger the code so i had it tuned out with my newer tune from PCMofNC when I did the tire change and gear swap.

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Pcmofnc does the loan program. I also am pretty sure lime does it as well

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes he does. You can go cheap on the block off and get one from an 02-03 model that didn't have the pump yet. Should be plentiful in u-pull yards.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Pcmofnc does the loan program. I also am pretty sure lime does it as well

I'll have to look, nothing I'm gonna do right this minute

Yes he does. You can go cheap on the block off and get one from an 02-03 model that didn't have the pump yet. Should be plentiful in u-pull yards.

Hmm didn't know that, I may have to check it out. There aren't many junkyards with TBs around here though

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
There aren't many junkyards with TBs around here though

Keep an eye out for the cousins on the same platform, they might have them. My 05 EXT has the block off plate, so you may get lucky.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Block off plate part number is 12574378. Looks like it's currently running about $6 or thereabouts. Can't find the part number on the gasket, but when I bought mine a few years ago I got the plate and the gasket in one "kit". At least then you'd be ready to pull the system once you get the tune.

Cheers-

Chris

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online