Retrofit StabiliTrak?

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
What would it take to retrofit StabiliTrak electronic stability control with Proactive Roll Avoidance to a 4WD Envoy that didn't come with it? Is it a completely separate system or is it tied into the ECM / BCM? Would the system improve the safety and traction enough to make it worth adding it?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If it's like many other systems, it would take a PCM and ABS system swap to make work. And GM isn't going to just allow you to reflash the PCM for all the usual lawyer-driven reasons. I can't imagine it even being possible without taking all the parts out of a donor vehicle.

I personally hate nanny-systems like that. I can arrange my driving so as to not need it. I think it's meant to save soccer moms who get distracted by their squirming cargo too often.

Reactions: Mark20

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
IIRC Stabillitrak and 4WD were mutually exclusive on the GMT360's. Is that due to a technical reason or marketing one?

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
I think to begin with those two were mutually exclusive. I think later in the model cycle StabliTrak became standard on all vehicles in the platform?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Not sure if it was all models, or just the 2WD versions with 4WD having the option, at least early on.

I know of an 06 4x4 Envoy XL SLT (with the fancy wood trim and all that) which DOES have it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
02-05 had 4x4 and Stabilitrak mutually exclusive.

06+ had them both available together.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHEVYN8R

Members Online