Replacing shocks 2005 Envoy XL

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Thinking about replacing the shocks on my 05 Envoy XL....seems the ride is just getting more bumpy I guess u can say, I feel every single pothole under the sun. The ride doesn't feel comfortable enough lol. maybe Im too used to these European Audi cars. If I looked at replacing the shocks front and back what would something like that usually run price wise?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
The general consensus around here is Bilstein HD's, blue and yellows. I have sensatracs in rear because I needed something same day. Do not get these unless you never tow and its not a daily driver. Monroe reflexes are stiffer than sensatracs. I can't wait to order 4 HD's from Shockwarehouse.com. There's a promo code somewhere. Rockauto.com too.
Shockwarehouse has free shipping. Best prices I've seen. Get the mounts for the front too. Beware that because your suspension is overly soft so they may feel harsh at first, let em break in over a week or so.

Do not buy the econostruts unless you have shot shocks and are selling it asap. Too many spring rates for our platform, gambling on how it may ride, IMHO.

my is still really soft, floats but no harshness. Priorities, may need bjs soon.

Search here and old site for shocks, bilstein HD's, and any other brand you are considering. HD's if you're stock, tow sometimes, and want to tighten the turns a little. Again, can't wait to get this done myself.:yes:

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks man, yeah I don't tow or do anything harsh like that...pretty much drive it like 30 miles a day to work, gym then home lol. I do remember I kinda bottomed out on a unseen dip in the road like two weeks ago, then noticed this kinda loose knocking noise when I rattle over bumps. Wonder if that's a shock/strut issue or something else.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
you could have sway bar end links which are not quite what they should be

pretty common.

search for end links here or trailblazer end links on google.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
My '05 just rolled 118k. I've replaced the sway links and bushings already. Got cheapos from oreilly with the greasable zerks. I'll upgrade to suspension maxx endlinks when I get bjs and hubs

Knock/rattle could be balljoints, endlinks/bushings, control arms bushings, and/or shock mounts.
Do a search for all these here and on old site. All of these seem to be common noise makers. Suggest checking the endlinks like meerschm advised. That is the first culprit I had.

Bottoming out is no good. I'd take care of that asap.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
oh I know. I had driver n pass side front and rear sway bar links replaced and front bushings done as well back in December I think. new tie rod end (both inner and outer replaced front pass side wheel area. did a 4 wheel alignment and had 4 new tires done as well. that's why I was thinking maybe struts or shocks needed to be changed out possibly.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Bilstein HD's are a bit more stiff but not harsh. They might seem a bit harsh in the city but that's debatable. They are definitely more sporty. You can feel the road more. They still dampen large potholes and such, not harsh there at all. I would say they are a great application when doing little off roading and trailering. I tow a 6000lb trailer and they work well. If you are in the city and do no trailering then stick with the regular Bilsteins. You will be happier.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak