Replacing front lower control arm outer bushing

Bruter

Original poster
May 13, 2016
Timmins, ON
I've spent a few hours searching on how to replace the front lower control arm outer bushing with little results. I'm sure it has been discussed before so my apologies if I bring it up again.

From my searches, it seems it can be done with the control arm still attached to the Envoy. The one thing I can't figure out is what tool to use to press out the old and press in the new?

If someone has a link to a previous thread, I would appreciate if you can post it.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Are you talking about the lower ball joint?
Or are you talking about the lower strut mount?
No way you can do bushings without removing the arm...

Bruter

Original poster
May 13, 2016
Timmins, ON
It's the lower strut mount. I saw on trailvoy that "the roadie" had a method for removing the bushing while on the truck.

Control%20Arm%20lower%20outer%20bushing_zpsjswnpdcs.jpg

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
I know this as a Pitman Arm Puller. But knowing Roadie, he modded it in some way.

Bruter

Original poster
May 13, 2016
Timmins, ON
The more I look at the picture, I think that tool was to remove the strut arm from the bushing. But Roadie did say that he had a method for removing the bushing with the control arm still attached.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
The more I look at the picture, I think that tool was to remove the strut arm from the bushing. But Roadie did say that he had a method for removing the bushing with the control arm still attached.

I believe you're right that's for getting the lower strut off the control arm... never remember seeing anyone change the mount itself...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I once tried the Pitman arm puller on that stud, it was on so tight that the puller's screw ruined the threads on the stud. Never again.

I just hit it with a heavy mallet until it pops off. Same as with tie rods and ball joints. The vibration breaks it free.

Bruter

Original poster
May 13, 2016
Timmins, ON
^^^but that's for the strut, right? I'm looking to remove the bushing.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
To remove the bushing itself, you need to take the arm off and have it pressed out. Or, replace the arm itself with a new one with the bushing already in it.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
What is wrong that it needs replacing? Usually a lot of the other components are right behind it. Honestly, the whole LCA with ball joint from moog is fairly cheap IIRC. ~$100. AND worth a lot more weight in gold to replace that than to take it all out and press the bushing, or even getting a bushing pressed while its on the vehicle. Also, get yourself a pickle fork. The pitman puller didn't really help me much. I used a mini sledge hammer and bashed that strut arm off. A rubber mallet deflects any force back into itself so you may be there for a while.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've never heard of anyone replacing that bushing but I imagine it can go bad. I agree, replace the whole arm including the ball joint and all bushings.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online