NEED HELP Replacing 1 din JVC

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
With a double din Pioneer DVD Bluetooth system. I am sure if the correct cables where used when they did this JVC install. Non Bose, Onstar system(don't use) The JVC CD player never seems to leave at the last song that was playing instead it starts the cd over again, I assume something is going on with how they installed this system. I get the alarm chirp and it everything else seems fine, but what should I look for, when I go to install the double din? 2003 TrailBlazer LS 4x4 model

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The cables/harness will not have any effect on the programming of the head unit. There should be some sort of setting to either start the CD from the beginning each time, or pick up from where it left off. If you're gonna be replacing the HU with a new one, then that point is moot.

You should be able to reuse the harness that's in there with the new HU, just change out the spliced connections for the speakers and you're good. :thumbsup:

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
So I got the pioneer AVH-270BT for IPhone 6s compatibility and Bluetooth calling today.The unit comes with microphone and usb cable to connect my IPhone, so show me some of your tricks you have done to give a microphone & usb cable a factory look?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I don't have any pics of it, but for my BT mic, I ran the chord across the dash, up the driver's side A pillar, through the headliner to the overhead console. Placed the mic over one of the factory grille openings, and twist tied the wire to the existing wire bundle to keep it in place. So it's completely out of sight, and works perfectly.

When people ride with me, and talk to whoever's on the phone, they always lean towards the phone, thinking the phone's mic is what's picking up the sound. :tongue:

As for the USB cable, I just ran mine down the passenger side of the radio stack out the bottom, behind that flap of carpet, and tucked behind the passenger side of the center console, emerging between the console and passenger seat.

I only used the USB chord after my initial setup to confirm how it worked, I stream all of my music via Bluetooth from my phone, same with GPS. :twocents:

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Ah forgot about the overhead console Mine has Onstar but not used and I have a CB radio I think? Every time I push it I can hear other people. Wondering if I can use the Onstar mic?

I'll want to connect the USB to charge the iPhone on longer trips, etc

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
With the amount of modding necessary to re-purpose the OnStar mic, it would be 100x easier to just run your plug 'n play mic up there. There's plenty of room and open grilles for it. Pull the console down, get eyes on what's going on up there, and you can better decide what direction you wanna go. :thumbsup:

I can't remember if it was posted here, or on Trailvoy, I have come up empty on searching, but @Boricua SS modded one of his cigarette lighter ports, putting the USB connector in there. That's the only mod I can think of. Maybe if we're lucky, he'll be nice enough to repost some pics, or link to where he posted them before.
wish.gif

Where do you usually put your phone? I guess that's the starting point to figure out where to run that USB cable. I opted for a dash mount with a built in charger. :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the USB cable, I used that little empty space to the right of the lighter plugs. Cut out a rectangular hole that tightly fits the female plug and put a couple dabs of instant glue to hold it in place. Perfect for plugging in a cable or USB stick. Also did the same thing with the round headphone plug.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Ok this is not going to get installed today I need to get a double din aftermarket bracket for my Pioneer....and then there's this mess? I want to clean this up

1st photo is the hack job they did? damn why didn't they just get the right connectors?
2nd photo shows 12v const not being used

3rd photo shows plug not plugged or?

4th Photo more of a mess

5th Photo more of mess

6Th photo shows how they hacked into wires below the steering column to get that red 12v power mod to the stereo

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
What a mess you got going on there. I'd start fresh if I was you. I'd remove all that junk and make sure all the factory wiring is back where it should be. There is no need to grab power from steering wheel area iirc . It's all at the connector. Chances are they blew a fuse and had to find 12v cause they couldn't locate the fuse that was blown. And do us all a favor and lose the wire nuts. Get yourself some crimp connectors and solder .

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The black plug in the 3rd pic is for OnStar so no need to bother with it unless you want OnStar.

Not too much of a mess. Just separate the blue connector from the add-on harness and toss it. You should then be able to use a proper interface.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depends if you want to keep the chimes. If not, a simple one like the one there should suffice (Walmart?). If you want chimes, then you'll need something to do the chimes in a separate box, like a PAC RP3-GM11

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
IMG_0082.JPG Ok so I sent back the Poineer and got a JVC KW-V30BT from Crutchfield, which included the wiring harness with the chime unit, double din kit. Since there was already a JVC harness I just plugged the V30BT up and put in the double din kit. The new JVC is doing the same thing as the old stereo, every time its turned on it starts as if it just got installed. I am so glad I have the new harness because as the photos showed someone hacked the wiring up pretty well, and this will take care of starting over JVC lol.

So I am so impressed with the JVC sound running the stock speakers that I am thinking of not replacing the front and rear speakers and putting in a subwoofer to this system. Since a amp would be needed for the subwoofer, and since I have to go through it, should I change the front and rear speakers, while I am there? I will have to go back in there anyways since I am awaiting my Sirius tuner and to fix the harness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online