Replacement side mirrors

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm trying to replace both side mirrors on my truck. I found dealer on ebay selling a "TrustBuilt" brand for about $40 more than the typical Kool-vue crap, so I thought I would be getting a better quality mirror. Image my surprise when the Kool-vue boxes arrived on my doorstep! According to the seller, they are rebranding these mirrors under the TrustBuilt brand name because they offer a longer warranty. Too bad for them these mirrors were crap right out of the box (Driver's turn signal lens broken, driver's mirror vibrates even at idle, and the memory feature in both mirrors is completely unreliable each time I start my truck).

So while I'm fighting with these yahoos to get a refund, I need to get some ideas for decent aftermarket mirrors. I simply can't afford dealer replacements ($360 each!) but I need something that will last. I need the memory, heat, and clear turn signal options. I would also prefer to find something with actual glass -- I don't know what these kool-vue mirrors are supposed to be.

Any suggestions on a brand name? Or would I be better off finding salvage-yard replacements?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:mad: That sucks man, I had the same line of thinking when I opted for some ProZone power folding mirrors, wanted to avoid Kool Vue, and I was irritated when a pair of Kool Vue boxes showed up. The mounting post for my driver's side turn signal lens was snapped off, and the driver's side mirror does vibrate a lot, even though I've torqued all the screws and nuts down. I just deal with it.

I would say your best bet might be a junk yard run, or if your skills of persuasion are up to it, convince some noob to buy power folding mirrors and sell you their stock ones cheap (if they have the options you need) :biggrin:

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Weird, I wonder if its just a defect with the way they make the driver's side? The passenger side mirror was rock-solid. If it weren't for the obvious problems with the memory feature (every other time I start the truck, one or both of the mirrors rotates a random direct to the full extent), I might have considered giving these mirrors another chance... but with so many problems within the first day, there's no way I'm going to trust them.

I wonder how Dorman holds up? I've heard good things about the brand, but they're about $180 each (which is still better than the $280/ea I've seen the GM mirrors go for). I can't seem to find a good description of exactly what Dorman is selling.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online