Replaced Temp Actuators, Still not Working

triplevision

Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
I finally replaced my temperature actuators and they kind of work now. They will actuate but with zero correlation to the temp chosen on the dial. I can get hot and cold out of both sides, but not because i asked it to. I did the relearn procedure around 10 times but to no avail. I think it's the AC control unit but I don't know. Anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Auto or manual HVAC system?

triplevision

Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
I definitely cut the dash frame and it's a manual system. I did both temperature actuators; Passenger side and Driver side.

Reactions: TJBaker57

triplevision

Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
For the first time ever owning it I have AC but i now don't have a reliable way to switch back to heat. If I put the temp dial in the middle for instance, it will go full lock to whatever the vehicle decides. I have full hot (sometimes) and full cold (sometimes) and nothing in between. And if it gets locked in either hot or cold, it won't change with the dials at all to the other extreme. I have to start the truck with the desired temp or i am screwed for the drive.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Are the temperature actuators the same for the automatic and the manual systems?

I have a 2002 and I know some of mine are different than later years.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
For the first time ever owning it I have AC but i now don't have a reliable way to switch back to heat. If I put the temp dial in the middle for instance, it will go full lock to whatever the vehicle decides. I have full hot (sometimes) and full cold (sometimes) and nothing in between. And if it gets locked in either hot or cold, it won't change with the dials at all to the other extreme. I have to start the truck with the desired temp or i am screwed for the drive.
I guess a couple of questions... what was your "relearn" procedure? IF you have easy access to one of the actuators / connectors, can you pull the connector and get out a meter and measure what's happening on the control signal wire (voltage... 2.5 at rest and or 0 / 5v depending on what it does)? Further, if you can, also measure the position sensor wire (resistance)? There are 5 wires in the connector, 5v, 12v, low reference, position, and control. sorry, I don't have the connector diagram at this point.

I am guessing your position readings aren't any good.... missing a reference or power signal.... best guess would be, low reference.

Of course, what vehicle year might help.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are the temperature actuators the same for the automatic and the manual systems?
Yes they are.

I'm thinking that the actuators are defective beyond just the broken gears. Without a bi-directional scan tool to see requested and actual position, you're just taking shots in the dark.

I'm all for going cheap but sometimes you have to spend a little more.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Without a bi-directional scan tool to see requested and actual position, you're just taking shots in the dark

I have the ability to read the actuator positions in my 2002 Automatic system with Torque Pro, Car Scanner, or equivalent but I cannot remember if I ever got the manual system figured out.

Screenshot_20211005-223629.jpg

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
On torque, did you have to input a custom pid?

If it were only that simple!

It is more complex than that.

The HVAC modules do not support the mode that Torque uses to read live data. So even though I know the PID numbers I cannot use them to read the data.

So for my CJ2 automatic HVAC control module I scanned the memory of the device and with testing I found the memory addresses where the PID data is stored. I can use Torque to directly read the memory address and that is how I get the data.

I don't remember if I ever scanned the two manual HVAC modules I have. And even if I did I am pretty sure I never tried to find the data since I only have the modules and no other parts of a manual control system.

I did come up with a way to use the PID numbers to get the data but that method is equally complex and I have only tested it iny automatic CJ2 HVAC systems.

Apr 26, 2014
I found that the replacement actuators threw a code and had different circuitry. After in and out several times I just took the gears out of the new one and installed them in the original. It worked for me. My original fault was improper mode control and the actuator would bang for 10 seconds on cold start.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Yes they are.

For my 2002 the original drivers side temperature blend door is #16164972. The passenger blend door actuator original is #16163982. Mine was an early build date of 10/01.

I would double check that the replacement actuators are the correct part numbers for your original actuators part numbers. All too often it is assumed they are all the same across the years but they are not.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I believe this is for the 02. Some differences shown for manual control.
With new actuators, your symptoms would suggest a wrong/bad actuator. The controller gives up if it doesn't get the expected feedback signal.

Attachments

• Front_Actuators.jpg
    Front_Actuators.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 5

triplevision

Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
So, after living with it for some time now, I need to describe the hilarious ridiculousness of these new actuators. I cannot find a way to adjust the passenger side temp; it's just stuck on hot. But the driver side can be adjusted...with the passenger side dial. If I have the driver and passenger side set to full cold, i get hot air from both sides. If i adjust the passenger side to 3/4 hot while the driver side is set to cold, the driver side will blow cold air, with no adjustment to passenger temp. I at one point had the passenger side to cold but when i adjusted the temp one cold morning, all i got was hot from the passenger side since then. I feel like I am losing my mind.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe at this point I would suspect the HVAC module/panel. I'd just get a used one from a pick-n-pull yard. Don't get a new one as it would require programming and is too expensive. A used one from a same year truck would swap right in.

triplevision

Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
That's been my thought from the get-go. This might be very niche information, but, does anyone know if the passenger side temp dial have a backlight to it? The driver's side temp dial on mine has a backlight but the passenger side does not light up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes but the bulb is likely burnt out. Common issue on these.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I believe this is for the 02. Some differences shown for manual control.
That graphic illustrates my previous comment and question about the part number the OP actually used. The part number listed in that graphic for the defrost and drivers temp does NOT fit a 2002.

The correct GM part# for a 2002 drivers side temp actuator is 89018375.

The correct part number for a 2002 passenger side temp actuator is 89018365.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.