Repairing center console lid.

Moore

Sep 8, 2016
Oregon
Mine was broken when purchased last summer. I went to Chev dealer and found out nearly 200 to replace it. After reading this I realized that the cover was fine just the plastic below it was broke. I took it apart and found the plastic part was broken into many small pieces. No way to fix that was there. I ordered the aftermarket parts for about 40 bucks and put the old cover back on. 1 month later and all is still good. If this one breaks, I will fix and make it better if possible.

Locksmith

Nov 19, 2017
Columbia,SC
I'm starting to feel a little dip in the center of mine now. I may do a write up on a good repair this weekend. This seems to be a popular theme recently.
FYI I bought a Bondo fiberglass repair kit and watched YouTube! Came out perfectly, after borrowing a occilating saw and the only regret is I should have used two fiberglass sheets instead of three!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do you have a link to the video?

Locksmith

Nov 19, 2017
Columbia,SC
I had plastic side covers on a 1976 Honda Supersport 550F and pulled on it during the winter in NYC and they cracked. A friend worked at a body shop and said he'd repair it for free! Came back with an inch of hard epoxied pink fibreglass and weighed a pound! It was so durable, that I thought of this and decided to check YouTube under "Fiberglass mat repair" . If you have a choice, get the "weaved" fiberglass mat! I didn't thin the resin and started off with approximately two ounces and twenty drops of hardener, mixed with a chopstick in a Spam can, and spread with a polyester brush while the lid was held in a vise by the metal plate that's underneath it. Don't forget to lightly sand the surface and clean with acetone! Cut excess off with an occilating saw outside while wearing a respirator and nitrile gloves!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I know that this Thread can be measured in "Dog Years"... But since this a Universal Problem involving the comfort of knowing that when we all lean over on top of the Center Console... our Elbows won't take a Nose Dive into the middle of it... @MAY03LT 's Center Console Lid Autopsy and Repair Video is worth adding to the solution side of our Aging GMT360s:

Last edited:

Expeditor

Nov 19, 2018
Nashville
Well since you brought it back up, here goes. I took mine apart and found dozens of broken pieces inside. The posts that hold the screws weren't all there. After careful consideration and not wanting to spend money, I decided to fix it. I took fiberglass mats and fiberglass gel with some "ice cream sticks" found in arts and crafts section of stores, to give it some ridge-ability,(is that even a word?). I should of taken picture but I didn't. It came out great, and very sturdy. Everything works like its suppose to.
Now if I can just finish this engine that I started months ago. Too many project too little time.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Now if I can just finish this engine that I started months ago. Too many project too little time.
You've piqued my curiosity, and I just finished mine. What's yours like? (if you have a thread, just point me there - thx)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online