Remove front sway bar

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
Hey, I believe I need to replace my front sway bar on my lifted 06 trailblazer ext. The holes on the sway bar look oval. I have bin having nothing but problems getting end links to stay tight, and not clunk. I chewed up a set of smaxx end links using locktite, they didn't come loss but it wore away at the threads. I bought a set of moogs, but didn't use locktite, they keep coming loss every 500km, and the threads look wore out from all the rubbing and clunking. I have had no end links on now for a couple months, and I can't stand how it handles, way to much body role, and I can't imagine its all that great for the cv-shafts, ball joints, struts, etc.

I found a 05 envoy at a local pick n pull, I managed to remove the front sway bar, but I damaged its transmission lines and left a deep gash in its oil pan. The whole time I'm trying to remove this bar, I'm thinking how the hell am I suppose to install this in my vehicle?

Is there a trick to installing these bars? Has anyone ever successfully changed one? Should I just get my smaxx end links welded to my sway bar? The smaxx come apart enough that I could still change out the bushings if its welded I think.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't have a GMT360 anymore but from what I recall under the front end it doesn't seem like it would be a terrible job. Disconnect the links, remove the two brackets, and it should just drop and pull out towards the front of the vehicle without too much fuss.

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
I think the 02-04 is that easy. Unfortunately not so easy in the 05-06. It goes thru the frame and has to slide out from the side.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think the 02-04 is that easy. Unfortunately not so easy in the 05-06. It goes thru the frame and has to slide out from the side.

That's bizarre.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not really bizarre it was a design change. I think I would need to cut mine to remove like James did, but the early ones bolted on n off. i think there are three or four different setup for the front sway bar, but basically the same with just enough difference to be a difference.

prolly engineers proving their jobs were needed.

Reactions: Sparky

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just welded washers to the holes in my bar and on the A-arms as those were egged out too. Been good since.

Reactions: aaronbtb

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.