Remote start upgrade

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Okay I'm sorry if this is not the right place for my question but I can"t find and relevant information anywhere.

When I bought my 07 Trailblazer I was installing the radio and discovered a previous owner had a Viper 130xv remote start with keyless entry installed, but I never received a key fob. So I ordered one from amazon and it all works great, It starts from a great distance and the keyless entry all works, aside from getting a honk or chirp conformation when the door locks.

My issue is I don't like the three button key fob. Lock and unlock are the same button. I don't like having to watch for the parking lights to flash twice for lock and still question if it worked or not and try to open the door. and I don't like not receiving conformation of vehicle start

So I'm curious if I buy a different model viper remote start/keyless entry will it plug into my existing viper harness or will I have to start over with a fresh install. As I said a google search did not return any results and I'm hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
It sounds like you want to do a viper swap with something like the 5901 or even a python. Python and viper are both the same brand and design just different branding and a slightly different look but same wiring and all that good stuff. I myself have the 5901 and LOVE it. I had taken my remote in the lake with me on accident for a good 10 minutes and killed it so I had to use my key to get in my truck and I disconnected the siren and whole unit to shut it off while my remote dried. I tore it apart and set it on my dash in the sun and it dried fast and it worked instantly right after that :biggrin: I am very happy with the results I have had with them.

I'm sorry to say that you will need to upgrade the wire harness for it too but don't let it scare you. There are PLENTY of wiring diagrams on here and other sources on the internet that tell you what wire color and location you need to be at to make each feature you desire work. Here is where I got my 5901 from: Viper 5901 2-way Car Alarm Vehicle Security w/ Keyless Entry & Remote Start Please note they are not an authorized DEI dealer but for what my unit has been through I don't see any need to have the manufacture warranty. The 5901 at that price is a steal. I paid 400 for mine when it was new. It is an older model but it is not discontinued or outdated in the least. I love the possibilities with it and having the alarm, though kinda useless sometimes because most people don't do anything when one goes off, is a nice feature. The 1 mile distance is what they guarantee but I had it work at a mile and a half before, clear line of sight. I have mine set so I can turn on the rear defrost grid, unlock all the doors like the OEM remote (one hit of the unlock button does just the driver door, a second press does all 4. you can mod this if you want all to unlock on one press if you wish), I have an ultrasonic, pressure and tilt sensor to make the alarm go off. My tilt sensor also serves as a prevention to make it so you can't remote start when the hood is propped up. I can tell you all the different things to wire up to and everything like that. It is VERY easy to do if you take your time and pay attention to the different colors for the wire harness. If you have any idea how to use a volt meter you can upgrade and install the alarm/remote start. Trust me on that one. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.