Remote start question...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
The voy has the DIC which can recognize the difference between driver 1 and driver 2, and the different settings for each driver such as radio settings, seat and mirror settings etc....

If I were to purchase a remote start with alarm that had 2 FOB's would I lose the driver 1 and driver 2 abilities? And be forced to manually do it? I hope that makes sense lol Right now my DIC will recognize my OEM Fob as driver 2, once I hit the lock/unlock button it will automatically set my memory seat position with my side view mirrors and saved radio stations, and I was wondering if I would lose that option with a remote start?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Voymom said:
If I were to purchase a remote start with alarm that had 2 FOB's would I lose the driver 1 and driver 2 abilities?

As far as I know, the Fortin INT-SL is the only remote start interface that lets you keep the memory stuff functional. So, as long as you use that in your install, you're good there.

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
If I were to purchase a remote start with alarm that had 2 FOB's would I lose the driver 1 and driver 2 abilities? And be forced to manually do it? I hope that makes sense lol Right now my DIC will recognize my OEM Fob as driver 2, once I hit the lock/unlock button it will automatically set my memory seat position with my side view mirrors and saved radio stations, and I was wondering if I would lose that option with a remote start?

For current product the Fortin INT-SL+ or the Fortin EVO-ALL will help you to retain driver 1 and 2 settings. I say "help" because the bypass isn't the main factor limiting the continued use of driver 1 and 2. There are a couple reasons more bypasses don't offer it. For one, most customers we get in don't use it. They don't share the vehicle so aren't too concerned with it. The other reason is because most remote start systems aren't technically compatible with it. They come with 2 remotes, but the remotes appear identical to the system it can't differentiate between the two to know which one your using. The workaround is we will hook it up like normal that you hit unlock and it goes to driver 1. If driver 2 was the one hitting unlock, they simply take another step and activate the trunk release feature for driver 2 settings. You could do that from either remote though, there still isn't technically a driver 1 remote and a driver 2 remote - they are still exactly the same remotes. We also have both bypasses available should your local shop not carry Fortin. Hope it helps,

bravader

Apr 2, 2012
Didn't want to start a thread to ask this... But has remote start been linked to keys being stuck in ignition or not? 02 Bravada here if that matters.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
bravader said:
Didn't want to start a thread to ask this... But has remote start been linked to keys being stuck in ignition or not? 02 Bravada here if that matters.

Feel free to start a thread! That's what we're here for. But to answer yer question I don't recall any cases where the r/s was the cause.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
bravader said:

No, but there is a sticky thread dedicated just to keys sticking in the ignition. Do a search here on the forums and you will find a lot more information on it

bravader

Apr 2, 2012
Voymom said:
No, but there is a sticky thread dedicated just to keys sticking in the ignition. Do a search here on the forums and you will find a lot more information on it

Yeah I already read that thread. That's where I got the notion of the culprit being the remote start (atleast according to the stealership).

LBB

Apr 5, 2012
I was wondering, why do you want to remotely start your vehicle?
I mean besides burning extra gasoline.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
LBB said:
I was wondering, why do you want to remotely start your vehicle?
I mean besides burning extra gasoline.

Because it is absolutely bone chilling cold here in the winter, and it beats standing outside in it for at least an hour digging away at ice on the windows. I start the truck and let it warm up in the morning during the winter time, to keep my kids warm on their commute to school.

With the wind here and winter weather, it can be 30 below most days.

Not something you will see in Texas lol I can promise that as I lived there for 4yrs.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I just seen a kid a customs shop I was at getting a 2 way push to start put in. The thing looked pretty sweet, unlocks and locks the car when you walk up to it or can punch in code in Window shield if don't have the 2 way remote with. Only costs 300 with about 150 for labor, I'm getting it.. As soon as I can justify spending more to the wife :smile:.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Canary2323 said:
I just seen a kid a customs shop I was at getting a 2 way push to start put in. The thing looked pretty sweet, unlocks and locks the car when you walk up to it or can punch in code in Window shield if don't have the 2 way remote with. Only costs 300 with about 150 for labor, I'm getting it.. As soon as I can justify spending more to the wife :smile:.

I'm getting a clifford, the same one I had on my toyota. It was a push start, anti theft, had a button for rear hatch, and could be started, locked, unlocked for up to a mile. I could start the car while in the check out lane in wal-mart and have it warmed up by the time we got the groceries put in the trunk.

LBB

Apr 5, 2012
Voymom said:
Because it is absolutely bone chilling cold here in the winter, and it beats standing outside in it for at least an hour digging away at ice on the windows. I start the truck and let it warm up in the morning during the winter time, to keep my kids warm on their commute to school.

With the wind here and winter weather, it can be 30 below most days.

Not something you will see in Texas lol I can promise that as I lived there for 4yrs.

What you get in cold, we get in heat.
I know some people that do this in out winter time, so they can drive in tshirt to school.

Did you ever think to get a block heater?
Or similar thinks that heat the oil, the coolant, the engine block and might even charge the battery.

It uses only electrical power and might be cheaper on the long run.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
With a block heater you have to remember to plug the vehicle in as well as unplug it before leaving. You can get an auto eject to dump the plug once the brake lights come on (we had similar devices on our fire trucks, instead of it being connected to the lights it was connected to the starter relay). It also doesn't warm the heater core, and so if you turn on the heat, while it will warm quickly, it would still be cold.

Personally, I'd rather have the remote start with a timer to shut it down after a certain amount of inactivity.

LBB said:
What you get in cold, we get in heat.
I know some people that do this in out winter time, so they can drive in tshirt to school.

Did you ever think to get a block heater?
Or similar thinks that heat the oil, the coolant, the engine block and might even charge the battery.

It uses only electrical power and might be cheaper on the long run.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

jpimp

Feb 1, 2013
Whoa, Old Thread!

I have not used it personally, but I've heard good things about CompuStar. :yes:

FWIW Buddy says they are just as good as Viper products but with better support. He used to be a Viper vendor, now he's a CompuStar Vendor

Jtyler77

Aug 10, 2013
I used to have a compustar remote start on a malibu. Worked flawlessly for years. Good stuff

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
DFWWIZ said:
I've got one CompuStar remote start/keyless entry new in a box (last yrs model 1 WAM-S) after deciding to go full alarm with radar on mine. I'd take $40 shipped priority mail for it.

Definitely have to keep this in mind, if you still have it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.