Remote Start on GMT360?

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Hi Folks,
Wondering who might be able to provide guidance on the best remote start that is available for our platform. There was a guy making a plug-n-play setup but as of a couple years ago he could no longer get one of the connectors and quit making them for us. I'd rather not cut into the ignition/clockspring harness but looks like I may have no choice. Yes, I do plan on soldering every connection. Looking for a setup with good reviews on functional distance of remote. My current factory remote is lacking there. I have been looking but thought it might be a good discussion here.
Thanks,
Bill

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
https://gmtnation.com/forums/thread...-and-other-related-devices-and-stories.13354/

That has some stuff in it. As for what I went with I used a crime stopper and the intsl+. Like 6 wires in the ignition harness, a ground, one on the data bus and one on the brake. Then I installed the hood pin and I believe that's it. I didn't use a relay for the second power wire but I did in the envoy since it threw a 4wd code without it. Going on 2 happy years now.

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
I installed a crimestopper system as well and was surprised at the distance. I can start the truck from a spot in the building at work that no one else can. Lots of machinery and such in between. I paired it with the Fortin EvoAll. Note that you will need the flash-link module with that unit. It needs to be flashed to old firmware as compatibility with our platform was removed in later updates.

Reactions: littleblazer

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I went with a ultrastart system with the Fortin int-sl+ bypass... Great range and very simple install,. I did need the extra relay secondary power. The int-sl+ will turn on your rear defrost if the engine temp is below freezing (only works on auto HVAC system which the manual does not mention).

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
I am making a custom system that uses the factory keyfob to start the vehicle that is based off an Arduino Pro Mini. I have a prototype that works well. It even adds the ability to install an additional momentary button for a push-button ignition system since there is no steering wheel lock on our vehicles. Works great for freaking out passengers.

The best part about this system is it customizable with the programming and you don't have to replace an expensive keyfob if lost or broken, just go to the local junk yard or ebay. I also have the circuit board set up to install an optional GSM module that will allow you to text the vehicle and start it, a nice feature if you are at the airport terminal and want to warm up your car that has been sitting for a while.

I will post a thread when I get the few bugs worked out. Anyone good at interpreting the CAN bus? I need to find information that tells the Arduino that the engine is running and be able to control the door locks to finalize the system.

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Keep us posted please :smile: I still want one... and fairly soon. Summer is where I'd use it most and our "summers" down here in the greater Phoenix AZ area last clear into October. Its real nice being able to remote start and allow AC a chance to cool the rig down a bit :smile:

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Almost done, just waiting on the design to get finalized. I might just post what I have set up for the prototype and let others use it and when I get the professional PCB boards finalized I will just sell those to any that want a clean install. It really doesn't cost that much. I think the last time I calculated it out it was around $80 per setup, but if I buy the components in bulk off of Amazon and ebay the price could go down below $50. You guys will be the first to know when they are finished and I will sell them next to cost to any member on here.

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
So, I made a quick video of how my remote start works using the factory key fob:

https://goo.gl/photos/ip7rWfoYzmvz6AbV8

It is actually a simple system and is easier than you would think to set up. Basicly the Arduino looks for the lock to cycle 4 times then starts the vehicle with timing programmed into the code. The only hard wiring is taping into the rear door lock relay wire in the rear fuse box and wiring in relays into the main harness under the steering column. The only problem with it is that it can also be started with the door lock switches, not just the remote.

One catch with the trailblazers though is there is no column lock so you can drive without the key in the ignition. I kind of fixed this by making the system shutdown when the brake is pressed after it runs so that it can not be driven. There is an option to disable that feature with a hidden switch that can be used to drive the vehicle if needed. No point it being able to start the vehicle with the dash button if you still need the key to drive it.

Last edited:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
looks good! I would not mount it to the cover but I would protect it within that area.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is awesome! The only thing though is that the remote has a limited range. Most I have ever been able to get is about 150 feet in clear line of sight. This is OK for the driveway at home but could be problematic someplace like the office at a distance.

Just curious, how did you bypass VATS? The module looks at the Passlock in the key cylinder to be sure an actual key was used.

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
As far as the keyfob, mine works perfect anywhere around my house. Only needs about 100' range. As far as the office, that is where part 2 comes in for the GSM module upgrade. That way I can be like batman, talk to my wrist (or Cortana/Mycroft) and have my vehicle start from anywhere I have cell service. Great for those that like to fly.

As far as the Passlock 2, that was the easiest part. Simple Passlock bypass with a resistor is all you need. This is actually better anyway because you don't want to deal with it when it fails and this is a good backup. The only problem is that the vehicle does not pay attention to the cylinder switch and can start without the key and there is not column lock. Hotwire the ignition and the shifter unlocks. One of the easiest vehicles to snatch.

Here is the circuit on the 2002:
Screenshot_20170704_002807.png

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.