refreshing rear suspension this weekend

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
I am going to be replacing the rear shocks and sway bar links this weekend and wanted to know if anyone had any pointers on what else to check for while doing this. At 165k this TB still has all the OE stuff on it and it is rattling pretty bad when I go over bumps. Next weekend I am tackling the front struts, lower balljoints and lower control arm bushings.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
When the rear tires are off, adjust the rear ebrake shoes if they need adjusting while you're in there. And closely inspect the brake pads while the calipers are off.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
obvious, check spare tire carrier.

and remember the sway bar end links and bushings when you get to the front.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
x2 on the spare tire carrier. I check it at least once a year. they rust and get hung. Far better to struggle with getting it fixed when its not sitting on the side of an Interstate.

jpimp

Feb 1, 2013
x3 spare tire
check diff fluid
check t-case fluid
observe for leaks
check u-joints for play

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
My new Bilstein shocks for the rear arrived yesterday. Looks so easy with just two bolts each. Unfortunately I have a wake to go to this evening and an amateur radio event that came up in the last minute so I don't know when I'll get to them. Hopefully by Sunday.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Got it done. I had to take it in the shop cause my floor jack decided to give up after 7 yrs of service. I called my regular shop and they quoted me $150 for just rear shocks and rear sway bar links, I thought it was too pricey for such easy work so I decided to walk over to a shop that opened around the corner from where I live and the guy charged me $40 to do both rear shock, sway bar links, inspected and showed me what needed to be replaced (front struts, brakes and balljoints), filled up my tires including spare and checked the spare carrier plus gave me an awesome quote to do the front end which to my surprise was about $1200 cheaper than any shop I called to get the front struts, upper balljoints and lower control arms done and he also referred me to his parts carrier who also gave me the same parts as Oreilys but about $10 cheaper on each item. Seems like I found my new shop. TB no longer feels like a boat when I am turning and no more annoying rattling.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Agreed! After finding the bumb rear shock now I know why the ride has been bad the past couple of months.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHEVYN8R

Members Online