Reduced engine power light outta nowhere

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
IllogicTC said:
And thanks for being very cooperative and patient. We've had other new people who get immediately upset if we don't have the "Godsend" answer right from the start or can't get a complete diagnosis without asking more information. And then there was that guy who told us we shouldn't give out info if we aren't ASE-certified.... lol. I've seen plenty of "ASE-certified" people screw up even simple jobs, it's all in the research not just a general, basic understanding of everything sometimes.
I know A6 certified technicians who can't read wiring diagrams. It's easy to fill out multiple choice questions on a test sheet if you study hard enough lol.

Still raining here Whoy.

Reactions: KNBlazer

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
MAY03LT said:
I know A6 certified technicians who can't read wiring diagrams. It's easy to fill out multiple choice questions on a test sheet if you study hard enough lol.

Still raining here Whoy.
im honestly thinking about buying a whole new throttle body. is it possible i damaged the throttle position sensor while cleaning it with the tb cleaner?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I doubt it since the light popped on out of nowhere. The only thing about buying a new one is if it doesn't fix it, you'll be right back at square one.

I have the day off tomorrow, so I will have those pics for you. Not much I can do about the rain except complain.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
MAY03LT said:
I doubt it since the light popped on out of nowhere. The only thing about buying a new one is if it doesn't fix it, you'll be right back at square one.

I have the day off tomorrow, so I will have those pics for you. Not much I can do about the rain except complain.
Your more than welcome to send some rain this way. West Texas could use it.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Man you can have it all! I'm itching to get some work done.

Are you ready to have some fun?

Recording the battery voltage before starting any tests is a good habit to get into.

Test 1 - Key ON Engine OFF - Touch both sides of the TAC fuse. If voltage is above 12v, move on to test 2.

Test 2 - Key ON Engine OFF - Black lead of meter to battery negative, red lead of meter to yellow wire at throttle body connector. I'm using a t-pin. You can unplug the throttle body connector to test, but do not force the probe into the connector pin.

Do the same thing for the brown wire in the throttle body connector.

So, in my 03, I've verified voltage through the TAC fuse, and since I have voltage at both TAC wires at the throttle body, I know the pcm input/outputs are ok. If you don't have voltage in either (or both) of the TAC wires at the throttle body, I'll unplug my pcm and show those. I try not to unplug things unless it's necessary.

This is my version of the DIY starting point for p1512. The test numbers are from the OEM service info, the numbers in parentheses are my order. So (1) Check the TAC fuse (2) check the TAC circuits at the throttle body. If voltage is present at the TAC wires in test 2, I skip (3) and go to (4) check for a sticky/stuck/broke tbody. We could go further by using a super test light to load down the TAC throttle body wires, but usually TAC issues are from broken wire(s) in the wiring harness.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to test and record your voltage at the TAC fuse, and TAC wires at the throttle body. Those results will tell us where to go next.

Reactions: Mounce

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
MAY03LT said:
Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to test and record your voltage at the TAC fuse, and TAC wires at the throttle body. Those results will tell us where to go next.
dude, that is awesome. thank you. ill start on it as soon as i get home. on the dmm ill have to find that setting. so i completely understand, if one those test shows less than 12 volts then that is where my problem is with all this? also i just thought out about this. does the tb work off the air being took in by the air filter? i just put on a universal k&n filter in my tblazer could that possibly throw things out of whack?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Whoy said:
dude, that is awesome. thank you. ill start on it as soon as i get home. on the dmm ill have to find that setting. so i completely understand, if one those test shows less than 12 volts then that is where my problem is with all this? also i just thought out about this. does the tb work off the air being took in by the air filter? i just put on a universal k&n filter in my tblazer could that possibly throw things out of whack?
No prob. Snap a pic of your DMM and we'll tell you which setting to use. I don't know why they all don't have an autorange feature but it's whatev. Yeah, as far as DIY testing, we're looking for yes or no on voltage since most problems are open circuits. The REP light/P1512 wouldn't be caused by a filter.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
MAY03LT said:
No prob. Snap a pic of your DMM and we'll tell you which setting to use. I don't know why they all don't have an autorange feature but it's whatev. Yeah, as far as DIY testing, we're looking for yes or no on voltage since most problems are open circuits. The REP light/P1512 wouldn't be caused by a filter.
heres the one i got from autozone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 8

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Black lead is negative and plugs into COM (center) jack. Red lead is positive and plugs into the right jack.

Reactions: MAY03LT

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
MAY03LT said:
battery 12.37
fuse 12.09
tb connector 0.00

we tested both sides got 0.00 on yellow and brown. 3rd (forgot color) was like 5.30

Reactions: MAY03LT

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Whoy said:
battery 12.37
fuse 12.09
tb connector 0.00

we tested both sides got 0.00 on yellow and brown. 3rd (forgot color) was like 5.30
Was the key on during the TB test?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I disconnected this connector with the key OFF. It's a 7mm bolt. There's a lot of thread there, so be patient and don't force it off.

This is the pin that gets power from the TAC fuse. Again, don't force your probe in here. Just touch it politely.

Now I turned the key to RUN - black lead on battery negative and red lead on the t-pin.

So for GM test 7, my test (3), I have power at the pcm's TAC input circuit.

Another thing worth noting, if you have the key in run, and are probing either of the TAC wires at the throttle body, you can wiggle the harness in this area and see if you get voltage at the tbody. There have been numerous cases that I've worked on over the years that ended up with a pinched/broke/cut wire in this area.

Your turn to test. :biggrin: :cool:

Here's where we are up to this point.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Well, that confirms the problem area. Based on the test results, there is an open between the TAC fuse and the pcms TAC input.

So you have a couple of choices on what to do.

-Unwrap the harness between the pcm connector and the front fuse box and look for/fix the broken PINK wire (that's what I would do).
-Splice in a new wire from under the fuse box to the pcm connector (which will bypass the broken wire).

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the front fuse block removed or of the wiring harness ripped apart. You might be able to find some on trailvoy if you search for "pcm ignition 1".

I'll post up some pics of the fuse block from the manual tonight - I'm on baby duty at the moment.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
First is a gummed throttle body will cause a rep light and would seem the engine just can do much on acceleration. Proper cleaning and procedure on cleaning should cure this problem. Battery disconnect before and disassembling and cleaning. Reconnect and let the blazer idle for 20 minutes or so without touching the accelerator pedal. 150k and never a cleaning a TB is like why did my piston rod break of the crank cause the oil was never changed. It's a must and should have been the 4th or 5th time cleaned t 150k. I do mine every 30k and it's still pretty clean at that mileage. Start from there..if you are getting other codes after cleaning are they old ones or new ones. Have them cleared and start fresh for any codes that may pop up.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
dla442 said:
First is a gummed throttle body will cause a rep light and would seem the engine just can do much on acceleration. Proper cleaning and procedure on cleaning should cure this problem. Battery disconnect before and disassembling and cleaning. Reconnect and let the blazer idle for 20 minutes or so without touching the accelerator pedal. 150k and never a cleaning a TB is like why did my piston rod break of the crank cause the oil was never changed. It's a must and should have been the 4th or 5th time cleaned t 150k. I do mine every 30k and it's still pretty clean at that mileage. Start from there..if you are getting other codes after cleaning are they old ones or new ones. Have them cleared and start fresh for any codes that may pop up.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
dla442 said:
they've already figured out the problem, a broken/loose wire.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Whoy said:
well considering I just cleaned the throttle body sunday and it was dirty but not gummed up. also may03lt just helped me diagnose the problem with instructions and pictures. i appreciate the input but the problem has been found.

Reactions: Mounce

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
MAY03LT said:
Well, that confirms the problem area. Based on the test results, there is an open between the TAC fuse and the pcms TAC input.

So you have a couple of choices on what to do.

-Unwrap the harness between the pcm connector and the front fuse box and look for/fix the broken PINK wire (that's what I would do).
-Splice in a new wire from under the fuse box to the pcm connector (which will bypass the broken wire).

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the front fuse block removed or of the wiring harness ripped apart. You might be able to find some on trailvoy if you search for "pcm ignition 1".

I'll post up some pics of the fuse block from the manual tonight - I'm on baby duty at the moment.

wow, thats intimidating, my car problem and baby duty alike haha. i got ahold of a mobile mechanic who thinks he can fix it. only 65 an hour which is way better than the shops around here considering i live in oil/gas boom town.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Whoy said:
wow, thats intimidating, my car problem and baby duty alike haha. i got ahold of a mobile mechanic who thinks he can fix it. only 65 an hour which is way better than the shops around here considering i live in oil/gas boom town.
Fixing cars is easy compared to entertaining a 20lb terrorist lol.

I don't blame ya for seeking outside assistance. Hopefully he/she won't play any games. Keep us posted.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
MAY03LT said:
Fixing cars is easy compared to entertaining a 20lb terrorist lol.

I don't blame ya for seeking outside assistance. Hopefully he/she won't play any games. Keep us posted.
would it just be easier but more problematic in the future to just run a new wire?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
The reason that I would open up the harness instead of adding a wire would be to inspect the other wires near the where the offending wire was broken. If I caught something else that needed attention, that could potentially save me (if it was mine) or someone else (whose truck I was working on) a potential headache down the road. Like I said a few posts ago, there have been plenty of reported cases of our trucks having broke wires between the front fuse box and pcm. Scumbags like the one I work for would say "who cares, if another wire breaks it's not our problem." Real freaking professional.

But, yes, it would be easier to just run a new wire and call it a day.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
MAY03LT said:
The reason that I would open up the harness instead of adding a wire would be to inspect the other wires near the where the offending wire was broken. If I caught something else that needed attention, that could potentially save me (if it was mine) or someone else (whose truck I was working on) a potential headache down the road. Like I said a few posts ago, there have been plenty of reported cases of our trucks having broke wires between the front fuse box and pcm. Scumbags like the one I work for would say "who cares, if another wire breaks it's not our problem." Real freaking professional.

But, yes, it would be easier to just run a new wire and call it a day.
had that mechanic come out. he checked the wires and they were all good. replaced the tb and the cam position sensor. my girl is running. shaking a tiny bit i can feel when idling. was told there are airs in the line and that should fix itself. could of swore i was doing everything like you told me. but want to say thanks to all for their time. you guys are awesome.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
only thing now after driving is seems to sputter a little when accelerating coming out a complete sfop and my service engine light starts blinking after i hit 30 and stops after going below it.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Whoy said:
update: changed coil pack and all 6 spark plugs. now running just as good if not better!!!
Make sure to drop back by in a week or two and let us know if the issue is still gone.

kfdz28

Jul 14, 2014
Hello
I have a REP light that came on and I have a code p1515 and a p1512. I have replaced throttle body and throttle pedal I checked voltage at plug on throttle body and I have 12 volts on the yellow wire but only 5 on the brown wire. Please advise what else I can check to further diagnose this problem

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
following so i can go through and check the wires to tb.. had same codes come on tonight while cruising down the interstate.. climbing a hill at 72, it down shifted, then ses and rep lights came on.. it was only about 3 degrees out side also.. got pulled over and checked/reset codes and was all fine for the rest of the 20 mile trip, and the 50 mile trip back home.. so if it doesnt happen again here soon, might wait til it warms up to check the voltages..

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online