Recommendations for a decent winter tire.

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
Excellent choice! You will not be disappointed. Nokian is my first choice for a true "winter" tire. I've had two sets, not that particular model though. Keep your highway speed at the limit when it's dry and they'll last longer. Warm 40*F days haulling down the highway will eat them up. They are designed and tested in Finland.

Edit: as far as sizing goes, unless you drive through any snowfields or snow covered forest trails, go with the wider tire strictly for looks.

I love the Hakk's, don't know much about Nordman (looking into it) and think the WRG2's are nice too with snow symbol that they call an all weather tire which would do much better on Minneapolis high speed dry pavement that I drive a lot of the time in winter. BUT .. I can't for the life of me find any info on stopping time on icy roads and handling Nordman/Hakk/ vs WRG2.

Here's their currently offered lineup that I haven't studied yet.. Spent most of my time trying to get that dang stopping distance test because I really want the WRG2's. If they're just so-so all weather I'd just do another brand and save the money.. SUV / 4x4 - Winter tires

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
I'm happy with my Firestone Winterforce tires, which are a 235 width. Noticeably better traction in snow and slush with a tiny bit of squishiness in the handling due to the tread design.

I was expecting mediocre performance since the Winterforce is not considered a premium winter tire (such as a Blizzak or Nokian), but the Winterforce has thoroughly exceeded my expectations.

We see a fair amount of snow here in Central Nebraska and my little town does not salt the roads and does a generally lousy job of plowing. As such, the roads typically have 2" or so of hard-packed snow on them after a snow fall. I notice less AWD engagement and less ABS intervention with the Winterforce tires compared to the all-seasons I run (currently Hankook Ventus AS).

Tires, OEM allow wheels, tax, shipping, and mounting brought the total to just around $1k back in 2010.

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
Talked to Pat at tiresbyweb and he suggested 17" 245/65's. I did a comparison and prices
Product Quantity Price Sub Total:

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV TIRES 245/65R17 111 R XL $192.00 $768.00
NOKIAN WR G2 SUV TIRES 245/65R17 111 H XL $183.00 $732.00

He's had the earlier form of G2's on his TB and loved them, said they worked out great..got 55K out of them. They're in Michigan so similar driving situations.
Anyone know why he thinks the 245's are better? The Saab is 1" loser, maybe they're grouping thw Saab with the TB?

% Circ Sidewall Ht Diam Ride Ht Overall Radius
255 55 18 ***** 91.24" 5.52" 29.04" 14.52"
245 65 17 +1.71% 92.8" 6.27" 29.54" 14.77"
235 65 17 -0.05% 91.19" 6.01" 29.03" 14.51"

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
245-65-17??? No brainer for me. Blizzak DM-V1. Most amazing winter tire I ever used.

- - - Updated - - -

245-65-17??? No brainer for me. Blizzak DM-V1. Most amazing winter tire I ever used.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
KrisE said:
Talked to Pat at tiresbyweb and he suggested 17" 245/65's. I did a comparison and prices
Product Quantity Price Sub Total:

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV TIRES 245/65R17 111 R XL $192.00 $768.00
NOKIAN WR G2 SUV TIRES 245/65R17 111 H XL $183.00 $732.00

He's had the earlier form of G2's on his TB and loved them, said they worked out great..got 55K out of them. They're in Michigan so similar driving situations.
Anyone know why he thinks the 245's are better? The Saab is 1" loser, maybe they're grouping thw Saab with the TB?

% Circ Sidewall Ht Diam Ride Ht Overall Radius
255 55 18 ***** 91.24" 5.52" 29.04" 14.52"
245 65 17 +1.71% 92.8" 6.27" 29.54" 14.77"
235 65 17 -0.05% 91.19" 6.01" 29.03" 14.51"

You will feel the difference if 245 is narrower than what you normally run. 235s probably the "best" but I run 245 year round.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
KrisE said:

He probably makes more money selling the 245s. In snow, narrower tires are better. Granted, the size difference between the 235 and 245 is small so you probably won't see a big difference in traction. However, narrower tires are generally cheaper and lighter. Combine that with better traction and a more correct speedo, and I'd get the 235s.

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
gmcman said:

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you're not to irritated, but can you please tell me why you prefer the 245's over 235's? Wont my mileage be more off with the 245?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I could feel the difference rolling around town on a dry day in the 235s. Definitley a little more "whoa" around the corners. They are much better when the tires need to cut. Otherwise 245s. 245/65/17 is oem on mine. Strats nailed it home with the 235s and your speedo.

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
I've gotten that clunk fixed due to the experts here for much less, now I'm saving on premium tires as well :smile:

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV TIRES 235/65R17 108 R XL $173.00 $692.00
NOKIAN WR G2 SUV TIRES 235/65R17 108 V XL $170.00 =$680.00

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV TIRES 245/65R17 111 R XL $192.00 $768.00 (76 more)
NOKIAN WR G2 SUV TIRES 245/65R17 111 H XL $183.00 $732.00 (52 more)

I found someone with some rainier wheels 4 for under 100 on CL. Mounting about 100

G2 or Hakk come to around 900 mounted with wheels, I'm elated. I was looking at Blizzaks and other winter tires. Now, I get Nokian for less. I almost bought 4 one year used blizzaks for 600 and that guy just texted me asking if I'd go for 550. I think I'll pay another 150 for brand new Nokians than you

Hmmmm GM Trailblazer modified by the Swedes running on Fin tires

Could I see less squish on turns due to the wishbone suspension in the saab modification or am I just being retarded again

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Squish is a butt dyno test for me. Usually sidewalls in winter tires are stiffer than all seasons. The overall pros outweigh any squish con. Scoop those Nokians up before they raise the price :two cents:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Squish is a butt dyno test for me. Usually sidewalls in winter tires are stiffer than all seasons. The overall pros outweigh any squish con. Scoop those Nokians up before they raise the price :two cents:

The Nokians do look like a sweet tire. I would consider them but the Blizzaks are $20 cheaper per tire. Just food for thought. I wonder how the Blizzaks's compare to those Nokians? I would consider them if they are superior but looking at the tread and specs....they seem almost comparable.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
KrisE said:
I hope you're not to irritated, but can you please tell me why you prefer the 245's over 235's? Wont my mileage be more off with the 245?

Only because it's my stock size. The narrower tread of the 235 would likely bite harder, but the DM-V1 is so stinking good in the 245 width I would just stick with the 245. I honestly don't need 4WD unless I bury myself with these tires.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Here's a side by side, after looking at the specs I don't see where the Nokian is worth $80 more per set. However if there is no shipping on the Nokian then it's a hard choice. I do like the fact in the center of the Blizzak there are more biting edges for snow.

Attachments

• Winter1.jpg
    Winter1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 12

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
gmcman said:
Here's a side by side, after looking at the specs I don't see where the Nokian is worth $80 more per set. However if there is no shipping on the Nokian then it's a hard choice. I do like the fact in the center of the Blizzak there are more biting edges for snow.

The Blizzak's would be better compared directly to the Hakkapaliita's (dedicated winters)
Here's a great video that made me squirmy about any all seasons.

[video=youtube;e1i9AJyMOEk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e1i9AJyMOEk[/video]

BUT, because I spend so much on highways that are slushy I thought it might be better to get an All weather tire that is rated with the snow symbol. The Nokian WRG's are the only tires in this class that I know of.

I'm giving up a lot to go all season. The Hakk's and Blizzaks are both better on ice and stopping/handling in nasty situations. But, not by enough for me to go dedicated.

If I lived in a more rural area, I'd go winters.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
No dedicated winter tire will last at dry highway speeds like an all-season.

Something I noticed today at Tire Rack is the DM-V1 is on sale right now for $139 each......thats an amazing deal.

Anyone who needs a dedicated winter tire I dont think you can get a better deal on a better tire.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
My experience tells me that both nokians and blizzaks are top of the class tires. Nokians are made for those who live in winter conditions for the better half of the year and require such tires. Blizzaks are the tires that win autocrosses in the snow. They are identical until the point of about 4/32s in wear. Blizzaks lose their winter rubber compound whereas the nokians maintain their winter grip. Heat and dry roads will kill the bllizaks too much faster because of the designs. A common complaint by the uninformed. If you want insurance, get nokians because they won't wear as fast. If you want great traction when it counts, get either. Both are a win in my book. Cough, Michelin Xice, cough cough.

smokey262

Sep 15, 2013
Bought a set of Xice3 for my daily driver Ford Focus in mid Sept. Michelin had a $70 rebate and Tire Rack had a $50 rebate. Toss in no sales tax too. Looking forward to getting the mounted and testing them out.

Had Blizzaks on a Saturn a couple years ago. That thing was unstoppable in the snow

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
smokey262 said:
Had Blizzaks on a Saturn a couple years ago. That thing was UNSTOPPABLE in the snow

:blinkhuh: lol, Let us know how the Xice3's are. But unstoppable in winter is NOT what I want. :raspberry:

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
Some 11/32's barely used came up on Craigslist for 390. No cracks or cupping and they're dated 2011 so not old. Couldn't resist. Got the wheels for 80.00 and they're going to mount/balance for 60.00. Bought the wheels from service manager so he gave me a deal on mounting and told me the Blizzak's looked very good.

Too soon to mount? They're saying first freeze but warmer coming. I've seen plenty of Halloween blizzards but we really usually don't get snow that stays til Mid-November.

Because these are the Blizzaks and I drive alot on hwy, was thinking should wait.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
KrisE said:
Too soon to mount? They're saying first freeze but warmer coming. I've seen plenty of Halloween blizzards but we really usually don't get snow that stays til Mid-November.

I put mine on last week, mainly because I flushed the brakes and it was convenient at the time.

Normally I wait until the last week of October.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
For years I mounted on the first freeze. Now I wait until the first good snowfall is coming (I get weird when the snow is coming so wrenching some tires for an hour is no big deal). My tires last longer now. Unless you do not see yourself getting it done before then or during "early" season maintenance. Waiting until after the holidays as some years past have given my tires longer life.
I take them off when average temp has been over 40F for a few days, I dislike driving on snows when they are not needed.

Great buy! :yes:

Don

Oct 25, 2013
Rs8892 said:
Take a look at the cooper discovery at3, I know at few that have then and say they are good in snow.
ubanahu8.jpg
I will second these tires, I had a set on my 04 s10 crew cab I traded in on my TB, also have a set on my 00 blazer. Last winter we had one of them wet sloppy winters, I was going around in 2wd like it was nothing while everyone and their mom was sliding off the roads, getting stuck on flat ground etc...

I'm running Cooper Discoverer HTPs on my 04 TB. We shall see how well they work this winter with the g80 and 4wd.

And they like mud too. :smile:

View attachment 31186

Attachments

• blazermuddy.jpg
    blazermuddy.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 9

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
KrisE said:
Because these are the Blizzaks and I drive alot on hwy, was thinking should wait.

I wait until the first snowfall that will leave the roads covered or icy.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
gmcman said:

I wait till the first snowfall too. Basically when the salt starts the Denali rims come off. Here's a pic of my Toyo G02 Open Country Plus that I bought Nov 2008, they have done a lot of dry hi-way miles and still have decent tread left. I usually take the winters off when I can't ride the sled any more. Toyo's winter and summer (Proxes st II) have been good to me. This will be the 6th season for these tires :thumbsup:
View attachment 31187
View attachment 31188

Attachments

• 20131020_162443.jpg
    20131020_162443.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20131020_162455.jpg
    20131020_162455.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 10

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
My experience tells me that both nokians and blizzaks are top of the class tires. Nokians are made for those who live in winter conditions for the better half of the year and require such tires. Blizzaks are the tires that win autocrosses in the snow. They are identical until the point of about 4/32s in wear. Blizzaks lose their winter rubber compound whereas the nokians maintain their winter grip. Heat and dry roads will kill the bllizaks too much faster because of the designs. A common complaint by the uninformed. If you want insurance, get nokians because they won't wear as fast. If you want great traction when it counts, get either. Both are a win in my book. Cough, Michelin Xice, cough cough.

I had nokian wrs on my old cavalier and they outlasted the car then used them on my cougar for awhile. I would def consider their suv/truck tires for my tb.

smokey262

Sep 15, 2013
gmcman said:

I will wait a couple weeks yet. Probably mount them the weekend of Nov 9th, which is the weekend before deer gun starts. If not then I will do it on Black Friday. Thanksgiving snowstorms are not very frequent, but I bet about half the time we do get a little snow by then.

jsickz32

Jun 20, 2013
I have Hankook Dynapro atm RF10 tires on both my tbs and they are awesome on dry, wet and snow. Last year didnt even have to use 4x4 on that crazy winter storm we got last year.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I live in western ny near buffalo, and I never put snow tires on. And you know we get snow. I do however put a more aggresive tread on, and run that all year long that works great. I trailer a boat and launch on lake erie many times during the year, and use the same tires during the winter. Anything mid range aggresive-wise, I used starfire st tires, I have a different brand that I just put on today, can't remember which. The cooper discovery at3 looks great and I've heard good things about them. The picture earlier posted of them has what you are looking for, the "horizontal" or close to it, "openings" across the tire. You can run a more aggressive tire, but I think it just wears quicker, and maybe louder on the road.

-Jerry

suburbs

Jan 6, 2012
First set of winter tires, arctic claw xsis on a set of 16" spare alum. wheels. Huge improvement over running tread wright puma ats/kedge grip last few winters. I can't speak for these models specifically over other snow tires, just that a dedicated studded winter tire is awesome compared to anything else. Huge confidence builder, costs less than the deductible.

Background: Denver is 1.5 hours downhill from me, average 250 inches of snow annually, live on roads that don't see the plow truck.

View attachment 32110

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 10

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
See those horizontal openings, with snow in them? That's exactly what I'm talking about for a good tire in the snow.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
JerryIrons said:
See those horizontal openings, with snow in them? That's exactly what I'm talking about for a good tire in the snow.

"Siping" does help. Siping all seasons will improve stopping. True winter tires will have them.

fishcreek

Jan 15, 2014
I live in Calgary where half of the year is dedicated to winter. For TB, a decent AT tire is more than sufficient for winter. Here in Alberta, we are not required to use winter tires unlike BC where you can get fines for not having one (which is weird because they have a milder winter than us.

I rarely switch to 4HI unless it is really icy out. I am using GY Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar just in case you want to know. :thumbsup:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I love my Falken Rocky Mountains so far. The only time they slip is when I get on the skinny or fat pedal to hard on purpose. Good all around traction, does great handling my Snowmobile trailers, and road noise is almost non-existent.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Playsinsnow said:
"Siping" does help. Siping all seasons will improve stopping. True winter tires will have them.

Siping is the miracle cure for any tire in winter. When I ran big rig picking up bulk milk on farms in the very hilly western Wisconsin region, I was amazed at the difference siped tires made. With them, I could pull hills without chains. Same brand tires without sipes and I was chaining up for sure! I INSISTED on sipes after that.

Please realize that big truck tires are a different breed than automotive-sized tires and the means of siping is also different. They take run-of-the-mill truck tires and run them through a slicer machine that cuts 37 degree angled slices about a quarter inch apart all the way around the tire. But, they are amazingly good in snow and ice compared to non-siped tires.

As far as an ALL AROUND tire that is great on snow and also will run all year long -- and truthfully, I don't believe I am saying this, as my life-long experience with anything Firestone has been less than positive -- but the Firestone Destination AT tires work wonderfully on the Trailblazer. I'm running 245X70X16 on stock wheels on mine and they really work great. Are they as good as pure snow and ice tires? Nope. But they run 12 months of the year for those who cannot afford two sets!

I replaced Cooper Discoverer AT/3. They were decent at first but REALLY degraded with miles. By the time I replaced them they were so hard that rear end was sliding out on dry pavement. I had a similar effect with the Brigestone Dueler A/T 695 that I had before the Coopers (in 255X70X16 size). Firestones far outperform both, and also the other set of Michelin AT (235X70X16) that came with the truck when I bought it, which blew out unexpectedly (still had good tread depth) while driving home one night in an ice storm leaving us stranded with 2 tires blown on the freeway in the worst part of Louisville.

The Firstones will just dig down and find traction and are equally good in the wet. Also run quiet and smooth. So far my favorite all-around SUV tire.
Very high ratings on Tire Rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A/T

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Did some ice/snow wheeling yesterday and there was one Jeep with BFG KM2 and it struggled on several spots that a set of BFG KM2 with siping did not. Only real differnce and it was noticable. Neither proved to be a great tire for the day, but the siping proved itself.

smokey262

Sep 15, 2013
Hello glfredrick, Sheboygan as in Bratwurst Capital?

glfredrick said:
As far as an ALL AROUND tire that is great on snow and also will run all year long -- and truthfully, I don't believe I am saying this, as my life-long experience with anything Firestone has been less than positive -- but the Firestone Destination AT tires work wonderfully on the Trailblazer

Last fall when I was looking for new tires I turned my back on the Firestone Destination AT tires because of prior experiences with the brand and went with the Cooper Discoverer AT/3. It did not hurt that Farm and Fleet had a sale on them and there was a pretty big rebate too.

glfredrick said:
I replaced Cooper Discoverer AT/3. They were decent at first but REALLY degraded with miles. By the time I replaced them they were so hard that rear end was sliding out on dry pavement.

I have about 2,000 miles on the AT/3's so far. I am a tad disappointed in their snow traction in 2WD mode. The rear end tends to slide out instead of digging. It feels like adding a couple hundred pounds of weight in the back would help a lot, like it does with a 2WD pickup truck. In 4WD the tires work well.

If the Cooper's dry traction degrades as much as your's did I will remember your thoughts on the Destination's and give them a chance

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
smokey262 said:
Hello glfredrick, Sheboygan as in Bratwurst Capital?

Yup... But they are not any more about brats than any other place in Wisconsin. Sort of the go-to food around these parts. :biggrin:

smokey262 said:
Last fall when I was looking for new tires I turned my back on the Firestone Destination AT tires because of prior experiences with the brand and went with the Cooper Discoverer AT/3. It did not hurt that Farm and Fleet had a sale on them and there was a pretty big rebate too.

I had the same struggle. Every set of Firestones I had were, well, STONES. But the Destination AT have changed my mind. I first saw them run in person on my son's Suburban. Worked really well and had great traction in almost all conditions (not really a "mud" tire, but one knows that going in -- for mud run Swampers!). Ran quiet, rolled out nicely, and were priced decently.

I made the switch after getting disapointed by the Coopers...

smokey262 said:
If the Cooper's dry traction degrades as much as your's did I will remember your thoughts on the Destination's and give them a chance

I do recommend the Destination ATs. Time will tell as to how they wear down, but I've seen them on other vehicles and they seem to run out well. Mine are still too new to know how they will be at 40K miles. Heck, my TB might not even make another 40K... :no:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.