Rear tailing arm bracket cracked rusting away: Solutions?

steveO

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Left side is floating in the breeze... on the highway at high speed I get a lot of rumble like a wheel out of balance.
Any way to fix this other than getting a junk yard portion of the rear frame and welding it in place?

Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Seems to be a continuing problem with these trucks in the salt belt. I got lucky. Even at nearly 180k miles mine is pretty solid still. I believe the original owners drove this truck to Florida annually and I have undercoated it each fall in my two years of ownership. I would contact a local body shop or welder. There's a welding shop here in my town that's put a few non-recall Toyota Tundras back together. One had snapped in half on a mechanic's lift!

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
Welcome to the club. I had both of mine rot out to the point of being turned down for a sticker. I went and got a piece of 3/16" mild steel and cut and bent the pieces myself large enough to actually enclose the whole original and weld the seams.

Attachments

• DSCF0412.JPG
    DSCF0412.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0413.JPG
    DSCF0413.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 30

steveO

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Welcome to the club. I had both of mine rot out to the point of being turned down for a sticker. I went and got a piece of 3/16" mild steel and cut and bent the pieces myself large enough to actually enclose the whole original and weld the seams.

Nice!
Looks like that is what i need to have fabricated and installed.
Sent a pic to my welder friend
Thanks!

Reactions: gmac310

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online