Rear Suspension Looseness

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
For the last couple months I have noticed that when ever I go over rougher patches of road or up my driveway at an angle the rear sounds like something is loose. Just had the shocks replaced a year ago and everything seems solid.

So as an experiment (and because it is due) I am going to replace the rear sway bar bushings. Ordered them today and will see how that works.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The #1 cause of rattle in suspension on these trucks is those darned sway links. I replaced all of mine once and I'm replacing them again because the ball sockets have loosened up and the rattling has gotten very annoying. They still work so I was putting up with it, but the noise is almost unbearable now.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I came home the other night to find that the end link on the Drivers side had enitrely broken away at the ball part of the link! Thank goodness I had an extra set of Moogs in the garage (I like to have the common parts on hand just in case)....my teenager drives the Voy now as much as me and parks with the wheels hyper extended !:hissyfit: I am not blaming as they were obviously due. But that likely didn't help?

My question is this.....I DID NOT do the passenger side yet...I plan to this weekend weather permitting. Ran out of light after the drivers side repair. But now the passenger side is clunking up a storm worse than before! I have had a slight creak for a while now.

Is that common when just doing one side.....and does that make sense? I think so...but would prefer an opinion from someone here who feels more confident in their knowledge of this thing than I. Or might there be other forces at work on my suspension?:confused:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If one side was broken the other wasn't doing much anymore. Now that you have repaired the broken side there is pressure on the other, which will make noise if it is worn out.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for the confirmation.....I am actually going to do the rears also....I hear the dreaded creaking back there too now that one side is quiet. I remember the good ole days when I could make that creaking sound ....and I ain't talking end links!:wootwoot:

Wifey only tolerates so much these days:rotfl: More time to fix my noisy ride I guess:confused:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
JCJARHEAD said:
Wifey only tolerates so much these days:rotfl: More time to fix my noisy ride I guess:confused:
Gotta preserve as much wifely tolerance for stuff you can't control. Ask me how I know.....:rotfl:

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
the roadie said:
Gotta preserve as much wifely tolerance for stuff you can't control. Ask me how I know.....:rotfl:

something tells me this isn't one of your off road situations? Or is it? I could make some lame comment about the time I spent "off road" in my day! But then I would really be getting carried away with myself!:biggrin:

And when you say stuff "you can't control"....why does it make me think of the movie The Hangover?

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I just reread my post....did I really use the phrase....."do the rear"...and "wifey" in the same post?:confused:

This could well be my last post if that ever gets out!?:lipsrsealed:

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
The #1 cause of rattle in suspension on these trucks is those darned sway links. I replaced all of mine once and I'm replacing them again because the ball sockets have loosened up and the rattling has gotten very annoying. They still work so I was putting up with it, but the noise is almost unbearable now.

Ok Jared. I was going to replace the end links anyway at some point. Just doing an experiment to see if it is the end links. I have pulled and pried on them and they seem to have no vertical movement. I guess we will see.

And by the way. It looks like the AC Delco end links on Rock Auto seem to be an exact match to the factory ones. The other AC Delco's seen elsewhere look like Raybestos end links. Will keep everyone updated.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I tried to save a couple bucks and went with some semi-cheap links for the front, even had the hex-head to ease installation. However the cheap metal gave way in the hex socket so removing them will be a pita. I will surely go for the MOOG when I change the rears....just food for thought.

Also, when I changed the rear, I didn't get one of the control arms tight, at least properly torqued and gave me all kinds of noises and creaks...something to check.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online