SOLVED! Rear passenger door won’t latch closed

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
05 TB , left rear passenger door will not close. It just pops back open. I replaced the actuator a year or two back when the dome light wasn’t going on and DIC kept saying door open, worked fine since then. I figured it went out again and just installed a new actuator , same issue.

Can the latch itself go bad ? I had to drive around with a ratchet strap through the windows the past few days till I could take it apart.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is the latch itself closed?

Reactions: Redbeard

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
So when you "close" it with the screwdriver, you're also able to open it back up with the screwdriver?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yep, if it was disconnected from everything, and still popping open on its own, it's bad. Time to replace it.

Reactions: Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The whole latch or just the actuator again ?
If you put in a brand new actuator, and the problem didn't change, I think that mostly rules out the actuator being the problem. Since you had it disconnected from the rods in the door, that makes me think there's an issue with the latch itself.

Maybe try removing the actuator from the latch, then see if it lets you "close" the latch with a screwdriver and if it stays closed or pops back open. If it pops open still, definitely a latch problem. If it stayed closed without the actuator in place, then maybe the teeth on the actuator were off? It's been a decade since I replaced mine, so I've forgotten much of what happened when I messed with my good vs bad one at that time.

Reactions: Mooseman

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Had it happen with the rear door latch on my girlfriend's Mini, and while researching it, looked like it wasn't uncommon. Annoying to deal with since hers failed *shut*. Had to do all sorts of calisthenics to get it open in order to replace it.

Glad you solved it!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online