Rear Liftgate Top Trim

Cdrum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hi Folks! Happy almost Christmas! Way back in August I prepped our 2002 GMC Envoy for my son to take to Rochester, NY while he's attending university. The truck has been great -- and earlier this week I flew up to co-drive back with him. When he picked me up for our ride, he described a 'crackling' sound from the rear. Upon quick inspection, I discovered the upper black plastic trim over the rear liftgate was cracking apart and likely to further disintegrate in our 300+ mile return trip. I effected some parking lot adjustments (ripping it off) so we could proceed on our merry way. Now that we're home for the holidays, I'm trying to figure out next steps --

1) How to find the part -- appears to be part # 19120563 but locating it new is stupid expensive. Finding used ---well I'm not able to find the part.

2) It kind of looks like a mess to replace, anyone done this before?

I'll post photos tomorrow.

Cheers!

1703205863955.png
1703205891494.png

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It's more complicated than one might think back there because of the Dual Hinges for both the Lift Gate ...and the Rear Window. However, THIS Dude performed a Very Clever Repair and between whatever HE does below and the very excellent Diagram attached here as well... and some thoughtful use of JB-Weld Products suitable to the situation you find... there is NO Doubt that you and your Son will sort things out here:

060517TS17-1531.JPG

For Folks who don't LIVE there... A Lil' Bit Of Trivia about the City of Rochester... Originally the Home of the Eastman-Kodak Company...(I once worked the Homicide of one of their Retirees down here in Florida... he died in my arms after my efforts as the First Responder to arrive and provide CPR... failed to revive him.) AND... it is the home of the Famous Swedish Composer, Howard Hansen, Conductor for the Rochester New York Symphony and The Man who provided the incidental End of Movie Music for "The Alien" " ...his Symphony #2...The Romantique... it goes something like THIS:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cdrum

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's a little different than in that video. The third brake light and plastic trim (6) are one piece and is also attached to the hinge as well as having two screws and double sided tape on the bottom of it. The screw inserts in the trim will likely break the standoffs they're in and you have to use a scraper to peel the tape off.

Probably the only way to find one is used in a pick-n-pull yard and take it off yourself. I'm pretty sure they're NLA from the dealer.

In all snow regions, you MUST clean off all snow and ice from that area as that is what breaks that plastic trim piece. Someone once said that if you ever find one in a yard to take it even if you don't need it as eventually you will need it. I have been pretty religious in cleaning it.

Cdrum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks all for the input. Like the first video @mrrsm posted, 10-15 years ago I had the hinge separate from the glass. I repaired it at the time one truck using a glass adhesive, and it has seemed to hold up over the years. GTK that you can used JB Weld too. IIRC, the tube of glass adhesive was quite pricey.

As you can see from the photos I updated my original post with, it has really shattered. I have probably most of the pieces. And as @Mooseman suggested, I bet it was snow/ice that started the fracturing. It's going to take me a while to find one in a pick'n pull. So I'm thinking I might try to repair in place with the broken pieces. Is there any adhesive membrane I could use - maybe self-adhesive window/roof flashing? How necessary is this piece of trim?

Reactions: mrrsm

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You can always try searching car-part.com and maybe track it down at a junk yard reasonably close in your area. :book:

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Is THIS the full assembly you are seeking? This one is offered over on eBay for $26.24:

SMOKELIGHTASSEMBLY1.jpgSMOKELIGHTASSEMBLY2.jpgSMOKELIGHTASSEMBLY3.jpgSMOKELIGHTASSEMBLY4.jpg

...and for others in need of the Glass Unit... The Link and some More Images:

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600A.jpgs-l1600AA.jpgs-l1600B.jpgs-l1600C.jpgs-l1600D.jpgs-l1600E.jpgs-l1600F.jpgs-l1600G.jpg

Cdrum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
@mrrsm - unfortunately no, that's not the part. The glass and hinge assembly are fine. There is a plastic trim piece that is screwed on one side and taped on the bottom. It holds the rear brake light.

I removed the shattered remains, and have a good idea of how to get one off at a junkyard. The double-stick tape though presents a problem - no clear way to separate without breaking. Welcome any ideas.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I've also heard you can try dental floss or fishing line, although I've never tried it myself.

Reactions: mrrsm and Cdrum

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you do get one at a pick-n-pull, make sure you get one that's the same as yours. SWB and LWB and different. Yours seems to be SWB.

Reactions: mrrsm and Cdrum

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Another related On Topic Thread... Check out the Diagrams added in Post #8 by @Blckshdw :

Reactions: Mooseman

Cdrum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Another relat
Hi Folks! Happy almost Christmas! Way back in August I prepped our 2002 GMC Envoy for my son to take to Rochester, NY while he's attending university. The truck has been great -- and earlier this week I flew up to co-drive back with him. When he picked me up for our ride, he described a 'crackling' sound from the rear. Upon quick inspection, I discovered the upper black plastic trim over the rear liftgate was cracking apart and likely to further disintegrate in our 300+ mile return trip. I effected some parking lot adjustments (ripping it off) so we could proceed on our merry way. Now that we're home for the holidays, I'm trying to figure out next steps --

1) How to find the part -- appears to be part # 19120563 but locating it new is stupid expensive. Finding used ---well I'm not able to find the part.

2) It kind of looks like a mess to replace, anyone done this before?

I'll post photos tomorrow.

Cheers!

View attachment 110802
View attachment 110803

ed On Topic Thread... Check out the Diagrams added in Post #8 by @Blckshdw :

My son says I'm a little psychotic since I decided to repair it! Here's what I did:

* acquired a plastic welding kit and some Bondo
* tacked everything with super-glue & baking soda
* melted metal stitches into the cracks
* went back and used ABS filter rod to fill in gaps (1 was quite large, about 1 x 5 inches long)
* used the Bondo to fill the uneven parts
* sand, prime, fill, repeat
* will top with black lacquer

Not my best work, but I think it'll do - not pictures of the final results yet, but this will give you the gist.

Frankentrim:

1703805200104.png

Stitches:
1703805275807.png

Filling the missing pieces:

1703805296151.png

The first coat of Bondo:

1703805364231.png

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member