Rear hatch glass replacement (LWB) - any 'gotchas' ?

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Since the day I purchased my Envoy XL, I've been fighting a battle back & forth with the spoiler. I'll spare the lengthy details on that, but at this point, I'm about to swap out the entire glass hatch for a replacement that has the spoiler & metal attachment points installed / functional (mine is a hot mess, from people jerry-rigging the mount, the thing falling off again, etc.)

So...the easiest way for me to 'fix' it (and get a better working RR defroster in the process) is to replace the hatch glass.

My question - while I know how the glass is removed / installed, and it's really not too complicated (although it might be hard for one person to do it) - can I reasonably assume that when I attach the new one, that it will match right up and not require any adjustments back / forth? Although the one I've sourced is also from a 2003, I know I should be able to fit one from any LWB from '03-'06.

I know I probably won't need to worry about shimming, etc. - but I don't want to have to worry about misalignment, etc. (and I know the upper lip of the spoiler is a prime candidate to cause trouble regarding this).

So...for you folks that have replaced these on the LWB - easy peasy?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is quite comprehensive and the VOP (Video Original Poster) also provides you with very necessary information on how to avoid pretty much all of "The Gotchas" you are justifiably concerned about:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unscrewing the spoiler from the glass could prove a problem as the screws rust into the brass ferrule in the plastic where it will spin and break the plastic. I've had luck JB Welding the ferrules back into the plastic. And you'll need double sided molding tape to stick the lower part back onto the glass.

Apart from that, you shouldn't need to adjust it or anything.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ah - so you're thinking I need to / should remove the spoiler before installing the hatch glass. I wanted to leave it intact...and I figured if it came off the donor truck as one unit, that it would reinstall the same way. I'll see if I can find corroborating evidence one way or the other. Thanks to all who replied!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh, if it's already on the donor, then leave it alone to avoid the issues I mentioned.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online