Rear diff toast on my 07 yukon. Need help sourcing a rear axle

Fishhunter911

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
So a bearing let go in the rear axle of my 07 yukon which sent metal into the carrier, the gears lost. It s going to be much cheaper just replacing the entire rear axle with a used one.

Problem is, other than fleebay I have no where to source one. Anyone on the east coast have knowledge on a place to get one?

It is an 07 Yukon 4wd with a 3:73 gear and G80 limited slip.

Any help would be great.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
Basiacally it searched local junk yards for the part you are looking for. Then you go to the yard and get the part and pay for it. I know some people got some serious deals using car-parts.com

Hope this helps!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Basically, it's just a cataloguing program used by salvage yards that is also searchable from the internet. You search what you're looking for and contact the yard, hopefully one that's close by. Some will also ship but a diff is not easy.

Fishhunter911

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
It states there are non close by that are worth buying. The once that are close are either bent or over 100k miles. No point.

Thanks guys.

Fishhunter911

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
It is possible. But the parts to rebuild the rear diff are about the same as buying a new diff all together. Since there is metal in the fluid, I need to replace all the bearings and seals in the entire rear axle. I am ok with taking it all apart, it is the putting it all back together within spec I am worried about. I found a new rear diff and complete bearing kit for around $600.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
If its cheaper to swap than to fix, I would go that route, save time and money

I would keep the old busted 1 as something to learn off

Hopefully everything works out for you.

Fishhunter911

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Cheapest i could find with halfway decent milieage and less than 300 miles away was $1300 and they would not budge. Plus $200 for shipping. Remember this is for a full size truck.

Just dropped it off at my buddies, brothers shop. Once he confirms my fears I will order a new Detroit Locker TrueTrac. Found one for $447 shipped.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Fishhunter911 said:
... Remember this is for a full size truck....
:eek: I thought the fact there were more of 'em would depress the price. I guess I should consider myself lucky to score an EXT 3.73 with 8.6" G80 for $400, eh? :wootwoot:

Fishhunter911

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
the roadie said:
:eek: I thought the fact there were more of 'em would depress the price. I guess I should consider myself lucky to score an EXT 3.73 with 8.6" G80 for $400, eh? :wootwoot:

Yeh talk about sticker shock! :-(

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.