Rear Defroster Cable Repair

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hi everyone.

I looked around a lot for this problem and ended up with nothing. So I decided to go and have a shot at a theory I had about the problem.

In simple terms a common problem with our trucks is the rear defroster cable breaking loose from the rear glass defroster grid. :Banghead:

WP_20160602_15_13_02_Moment.jpg

Some ways to tackle the problem were to solder, use a repair kit (nowhere to be found).

Both were a dead end for me as soldering I am not familiar with and risking broken glass, No Thank You.

Common tools are hard to come by here in Saudi Arabia let alone a specialized repair kit for the rear defroster. So that was not an option either.

I won't be able to confirm either whether your defogger will work if you try this (DON'T HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE :biggrin:)

I for one have no primary use for the rear defroster as our temperatures at cold weather are in the 30-35 degrees Celsius (86-95 degrees Fahrenheit) and rain is a distant dream and one of them was still connected properly

I used a 3-ton Epoxy Solution which I got for 6.50 SAR ($1.73)

WP_20160530_00_48_19_Pro_LI (2).jpg

Mixed a little of both and then applied some on the connector and held it in place for a while

WP_20160602_15_13_48_Moment(2).jpg

WP_20160602_15_13_48_Moment.jpg

WP_20160602_15_14_06_Moment.jpg

What happened was I had the wire connected to the metal connector that sticks to the glass it didn't hold properly. Hence I took the small connector out of the wire and applied a fresh coat of the solution and let it stick in the air for about 5 minutes.

WP_20160602_15_23_33_Pro_LI.jpg

After that it was stuck tight and wouldn't budge. Connected the wire back on the connector and opened and closed the glass a few times and it didn't come off.

WP_20160602_15_38_24_Moment.jpg

WP_20160602_15_38_45_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160602_15_39_12_Pro.jpg

SUCCESS :2thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
How have you tested the grid to make sure it works, 12v test light? I would imagine the epoxy you used is not electrically conductive and therefore would not complete the circuit even though they are attached to the glass.

**Edit- Did a quick Google search of the product and from the manufacturer, "
Excellent insulator, No conducting electricity, working as reliable insulator"
Based on that, you would not have any voltage going through the grid on the rear glass.

I had both of my tabs come off the grid as well and used Permatex's rear defogger complete repair kit. Comes with tab adhesive (electrically conductive) and a grid line repair kit. Its been well over a year now since using the product and its holding up very well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ALBZJY/?tag=gmtnation-20

Last edited:

05envoy

Sep 13, 2015
not too much frost or high humidity in Saudi Arabia :duh:

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
not too much frost or high humidity in Saudi Arabia :duh:

Yeah more like never

How have you tested the grid to make sure it works, 12v test light? I would imagine the epoxy you used is not electrically conductive and therefore would not complete the circuit even though they are attached to the glass.

**Edit- Did a quick Google search of the product and from the manufacturer, "
Excellent insulator, No conducting electricity, working as reliable insulator"
Based on that, you would not have any voltage going through the grid on the rear glass.

I had both of my tabs come off the grid as well and used Permatex's rear defogger complete repair kit. Comes with tab adhesive (electrically conductive) and a grid line repair kit. Its been well over a year now since using the product and its holding up very well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ALBZJY/?tag=gmtnation-20

I didn't check as I have no use for the defoggers but as one of the tabs is still holding from the original adhesive so if I ever needed it hopefully should work

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Unfortunately that's not the case... If you do ever need them both pads must make contact to the defrost grid...

I don't want to be mean or anything but my uncle who also has a trailblazer had only one of the wires connected and had to use the defogger on an occasion and it did work not as fast as both wires connected would but it did work.

Just saying :2thumbsup:
But whatsoever I am just happy that its connected and not dangling around anymore and as I mentioned I have no immediate use for the defogger!

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

Trkdrvremt

Oct 22, 2014
NJ
I don't want to be mean or anything but my uncle who also has a trailblazer had only one of the wires connected and had to use the defogger on an occasion and it did work not as fast as both wires connected would but it did work.

Just saying :2thumbsup:
But whatsoever I am just happy that its connected and not dangling around anymore and as I mentioned I have no immediate use for the defogger!

Lol... No worries.. Your not being mean... Not sure how your uncle pulled that off. From my understanding you need current to flow from one side to the other in order to make heat. But hey weird shit happens all the time...

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
This post is basically written like a how-to article. The point we have been trying to make is that many people will see this post and we do not want them to think that you can just use any epoxy to reattach the tab on the rear glass and still have the defroster function. You cannot call it a success until you have at least tested the repair.

You might be happy just having the tab reattached to the glass, but others who might follow this how-to in the future would expect the rear defrost to function as well :twocents:

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
This post is basically written like a how-to article. The point we have been trying to make is that many people will see this post and we do not want them to think that you can just use any epoxy to reattach the tab on the rear glass and still have the defroster function. You cannot call it a success until you have at least tested the repair.

You might be happy just having the tab reattached to the glass, but others who might follow this how-to in the future would expect the rear defrost to function as well :twocents:

Right. I agree with that, although I did state that the defroster won't function above, what would you suggest I do to avoid misconceptions :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If I were living in the desert and never used the rear defogger, I would just cut off both wires. Done.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
If I were living in the desert and never used the rear defogger, I would just cut off both wires. Done.

Hahah, I would do that but I think it looks cool when you open the glass and the wires are supporting it. My brother thought the wires were what hold it up :2thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If he thought that...dont let him work on your vehicle.

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.