Rear back up sensors

Guenther

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Not sure which forum this falls under so I'll put it here. I just got done installing a set of rear back up sensors on my son's silver Envoy. The color matched perfectly and looks totally factory. He's 14 and driving now so he needs all the help he can get. My wife has them factory installed on her Tahoe and can't live without them so it will keep her from backing in to anything when she drives the Envoy. Easy 2 hour install taking my time. The sensors work perfectly and only cost $18 shipped from eBay. I highly recommend the seller as he got them out right away and had good communication. Here is a link if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

6 Colors 4 Parking Sensors LED Display Car Reverse Backup Radar Sound Kit | eBay

EDIT: I'm adding a "how to" but I don't have any pictures except for my final ones.

- Figure out where you are going to mount the control unit and the LED. I chose the right rear side compartment and the top right headliner (with sticky back hook end velcro) as it can be easily seen from the rear view mirror.

- Push on the back of your bumper in several areas and make sure you have a space behind it so the sensors will fit when pushed through. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING SO TAKE YOUR TIME!!! Also look behind the bumper skin to confirm you have clearance. CHECK IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!

- Once you have you locations set, start measuring and marking the location with a sharpie. I did not do mine in a straight line across the but rather the outsides at the same height and the insides at the same height. I then took masking tape and made lines across the back and measured down from the crease of the bumper to make sure they were the same distance. Remember, measure 10X and drill once!

-Use the hole bit included with the kit and drill your 4 holes. Clean the piece out of the bit after each hole.

- With the kit I got, the 4 little tabs on the outside of the sensors were too shallow to allow them to "clip" around the bumper skin because the skin was thicker. I took a utility knife and cut a tiny bit off the tabs. I then used clear silicone and coated the hole and the outside of the sensor to help secure it once pushed in. Smooth out the silicone on back side of the sensors and wipe off the excess on the front. I also used a blow gun to get any out of the sensors on the front. Do this for all 4 sensors.

-You'll need some extra wire to connect power from the reverse light to the control box. Everyone can probably figure out how to splice into the wires. On my Envoy brown was negative and the other was positive (green I think). The Envoy you just stick your head under the rear end and the connection is there. For a TB I think you'll probably have to take out the rear lens and route your wire different than I did.

- Next is routing the wires. You'll have to do what you think is best and use lots of cable ties. I took my wires along the inside of the bumper securing with cables ties along the way and then up between the bumper skin and lip of where the weather seal is (see picture). I popped the cover off the back latch sill and drilled a hole through the lip of where the weather strip goes and used a grommet so the wires wouldn't get cut. I also took my dremel to the bumper skin just a little so it wouldn't pinch the wires. You can't tell it's there when you put the weather strip back on.

- You can then get the wires how ever you want to the locations you have chosen for the control unit and LED. I think everyone can figure that out for themselves.

It's really an straight forward process but just take your time and measure 10X before you drill anything. I believe you can color coat these to your vehicle as well but you might want to check with whomever you are thinking of buying them from. Good luck!

View attachment 16992

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 10

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
I installed some on my truck too. I bought them for around $20 off ebay. Installation was straightforward and I connected the remote wire to the back-up light. The only problem is that when I unlock the truck or if the reverse lights are on (locking/unlocking) the sensor will beep. And the great thing is that you can't even tell that the sensors are there! :biggrin:

IMG_1716.jpg

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Great work! This would have been one of those times that a write up with pictures would have been good. So anybody else that tries this mod, think about taking lots of pictures along the way and write it up!:cool:

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
I must be dumb, Ive seen these on several high end vehicles and always thought it was some weird way of attaching the bumper or something :no:

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
ieatglue said:
I installed some on my truck too. I bought them for around $20 off ebay. Installation was straightforward and I connected the remote wire to the back-up light. The only problem is that when I unlock the truck or if the reverse lights are on (locking/unlocking) the sensor will beep. And the great thing is that you can't even tell that the sensors are there! :biggrin:

Is it just a single beep? I am thinking about getting these for myself. Is the beep that annoying or that big of a problem?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Im really tempted to buy a set and install them on my SS, but then again I could just buy a cheapo backup camera too which would make it easier to hook the boats up...decisions decisions.

Guenther

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Im really tempted to buy a set and install them on my SS, but then again I could just buy a cheapo backup camera too which would make it easier to hook the boats up...decisions decisions.

It's not hard to do at all. The set I got looks just like a factory install. If you install them correctly you'll be a happy camper.

Guenther

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
MrDJ said:
Is it just a single beep? I am thinking about getting these for myself. Is the beep that annoying or that big of a problem?

The set I got it beeps slow at first and the progressively faster until you get a solid tone to stop. There is also an LED with lights going from green to yellow to red with distance measurements. It's meant to mount up front but I put mine in the rear of the truck because that is where they are factory installed on our Tahoe. You see the numbers in reverse but I don't even pay attention to them but rather the colors and beeps. Very simple install and WELL worth $18 and an hour or so of time. The tone is not annoying at all, at least on the kit I got.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hotness said:
I must be dumb, Ive seen these on several high end vehicles and always thought it was some weird way of attaching the bumper or something :no:

Well you're not alone. I thought the same, like the new style of attaching bumpers and I always thought those "cheap plastic rivets" looked ugly. Guess I'm a dummy :bonk:

Guenther

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Vicompc said:
Can you install them without the LED or is it required?

The audible tone is built into the LED sensor with the kit I got. I don't think it would hurt anything to take some black tap over the display if you just wanted the beep. Or you could mount the sensor somewhere where you couldn't see it.

Guenther

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Sparky said:
Well you're not alone. I thought the same, like the new style of attaching bumpers and I always thought those "cheap plastic rivets" looked ugly. Guess I'm a dummy :bonk:

:rotfl:

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
The beeping speaker is in the LED display. You could always stick the led thing behind a panel, to just get the sound. I put mine up by the DRL sensor. Mine has a number display (meters) as well as colors

TB2k4

Dec 4, 2011
you think i could put the sensors down on my black trim at the bottom? my car is a weird green but i think the black sensors would blend in fine. input?

and i would like to know how to put that sensor in the trunk... like wheres the wire going (inside the ceiling) and hows it coming out (through the black trim).

my car is this color...

photo.php

but has this black trim...

photo.php

Guenther

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
You just slide the wire for the LED up the pillar trim with your finger. I don't see why you can't put it high up on the black part as long as there is room behind. Black sensors on that green wouldn't look bad though, especially since you have black trim everywhere else.

TB2k4

Dec 4, 2011
im considering using the factory plug right there- the plastic tab. my assumption is thats where the factory display would go...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
filthycasual

Members Online

No members online now.