Rear axle shafts 06+

cameronl

Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
South Dakota
I'm looking to replace rusted out rear backing plates (dust shields). Anyways, to do so the rear axles must be removed. I hear the 06+ models with rear ABS are more difficult to remove the axles. Are the steps the same as earlier models, or do I have to mess with a "reluctar ring?" Where exactly is this ring at and can I pull the axle shaft with it still intact? Just looking at what I should expect before digging into this. May replace rear axle seals as well as they are starting to weep a little.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
It should slide out like older units but with a bit of muscle as the reluctor will give some resistance. The reluctor ring is on the axle shaft just behind the bearing. Parts diagram for 2006 shows no sensors on the axle, so you may or may not have them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, they are there. My '06 has them and just like cool said, axle should just slide out the same way as usual. The rings are held in place on the axle by the sticktion from the gear oil.

cameronl

Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
South Dakota
Thanks everybody for the responses. I'm still kind of confused though. If I pull the axle out with the reluctar ring intact, won't I disturb its location once having put it back in past the bearing? Maybe I'm just over thinking this. If it takes more force to pull them out than previous years then how do I reinsert the axle without damaging the seal and bearing?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The ring will stay in the axle tube behind the bearing. It's not a press fit.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.