Re-manufactured Transmission Swap

Bookumdanno

Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
I need some help. The wife's 2006 Trailblazer 4x4 ( 125k miles ) driving down the road at 55 mph ruptured the transmission cooling line. Lost all drive. Towed home. I replaced the lines, filter and atf. No 3rd or above. Like it's in neutral. Ordered a re-manufactured 4l60e transmission. It arrived yesterday. I'm trying to get together everything my son and his friend will need to swap them. So far the list includes 12 Qts Dex vi, cooler flush, 2 L Autotrac TC fluid Looking over the transmission I found the cooling lines come out the side of this one. The one in TB are on top. What should I do about the cooling lines? I can't order pre-bent. In the re-man case there's instructions indicate a relearn required using a tech II. Is there any other way to do this? I have an OBDLink sx reader. What software for Laptop would work for resetting transmission? Do I need any software updates to the TB? Also there was a soft black plastic piece in bag and a gasket for TC. What's the plastic piece for? :crazy:

triz

Apr 22, 2013
The dogbone looking one?

Bookumdanno

Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
It's like a bushing, but soft. Looking at transmission it might be for the shaft for the control linkage. Not sure though. Found part on NAPA website it's the a/trans seal, Oil fill tube.

Bookumdanno

Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
yes sir that's what it is.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If the cooling lines are different, did you check to make sure all plug-ins are the same and in the right spots? Just thinking you should have the wiring stuff dialed in for them as well to make it all painless.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
HARDTRAILZ said:
If the cooling lines are different, did you check to make sure all plug-ins are the same and in the right spots? Just thinking you should have the wiring stuff dialed in for them as well to make it all painless.
I'd make sure u have the right trans. Lines shouldn't be different. Bell housing is unique on the 6cyl. Make sure you don't have a 4L60 that is not specifically for these engines.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
this may help, this is for a 2006 4.2l trailblazer:

121116TS04-035.JPG

Reactions: Mooseman

Dan_G

Oct 23, 2014
Here is a pic of the 4L60E on the 5.3 - also has the cooler ports on the side as mentioned above. Not sure why the OP is seeing ports on the top.

Attachments

• 5-3-4L60E.jpg
    5-3-4L60E.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 15

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Dan_G said:
Here is a pic of the 4L60E on the 5.3 - also has the cooler ports on the side as mentioned above. Not sure why the OP is seeing ports on the top.
maybe he is referring to the vent line?

Bookumdanno

Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
Well it had been about 6 months since I had installed the new lines. Didn't want to go thru moving exhaust and lowering transmission so I just cut lines down along side trans. and used rubber hose to connect lines to verify transmission was still OK. Didn't help still had no 3rd or 4th. I guess my age is getting to me, memory not as good as it used to be. Then looking at new trans. in crate, those cooling line connections are easy to get to , so they must have been on top of old trans. Rechecked under vehicle and it's just exhaust and shield in the way. :bonk: . Got to look before posting, memory doesn't work well for me.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Bookumdanno said:
Well it had been about 6 months since I had installed the new lines. Didn't want to go thru moving exhaust and lowering transmission so I just cut lines down along side trans. and used rubber hose to connect lines to verify transmission was still OK. Didn't help still had no 3rd or 4th. I guess my age is getting to me, memory not as good as it used to be. Then looking at new trans. in crate, those cooling line connections are easy to get to , so they must have been on top of old trans. Rechecked under vehicle and it's just exhaust and shield in the way. :bonk: . Got to look before posting, memory doesn't work well for me.
Lmao! We all have CRS syndrome from time to time

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online