NEED HELP Radio power cycles above 70mph

TobyP

Original poster
Jan 26, 2023
New Mexico
Hello,

I am chasing down an electrical gremlin on my radio wiring. I am running the AXDI-CL2 and a Jensen VX7023, there have been installed and working perfectly for over a year. A week ago heading home from work, merging on to the freeway, once I hit 70mph, the radio started to power cycle continuously. I turned the radio off, then back on, and it continues to power cycle until I merged off the freeway and dropped below about 50. Now, every time I go above 70mph it does this. Around town and all lower speeds it works flawlessly, it's only above 70. Even manually turning the radio off and attempting to turn it on above 70 it just power cycles.
It does not completely reset the radio like it is losing all power (like after a dead battery), so it has to be the trigger wire somehow.
I have replaced the AXDI-CL2 module as I had a spare, thinking the module itself went bad, no change.
Alternator is putting out a steady 14.4 volts, no spikes. I ran a volt meter to see if maybe a spike in acceleration, but nothing, the most was up to 14.7 volts floored.
Has anyone dealt with any issues like this? I am at a loss short of hard wiring a power & trigger wire directly to the radio, I enjoy the RAP the module provides & retaining the chimes, but I may have to bypass the whole thing.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You have probably already done "The Obvious" here by double checking the Installation Instructions of BOTH of these Components and looked for any conflicting set-up data. But it won't hurt to post these Two PDFs HERE for others to review as well in order to look for anything that jumps out as a Problem:

From Jensen (TOO LARGE A FILE TO ATTACH HERE):

To SAVE any Large Web Page and its Contents as a PDF... Just Hold Down the "CTRL" Button and simultaneously Press the "P" Key and select "PDF" as your Destination... Then Press the "SAVE" Button and you'll be ...Good To Go:

Attachments

• 64971575.pdf
    298.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

TobyP

Original poster
Jan 26, 2023
New Mexico
You have probably already done "The Obvious" here by double checking the Installation Instructions of BOTH of these Components and looked for any conflicting set-up data. But it won't hurt to post these Two PDFs HERE for others to review as well in order to look for anything that jumps out as a Problem:

From Jensen (TOO LARGE A FILE TO ATTACH HERE):

Yes, I did, thank you. I even did a reset on the radio. Everything was working fine for over a year, then this just started. I even examined all the wiring for anything, but all was perfectly fine. I soldered / heat shrinked / wrapped everything in cloth tape.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Take some time to imbue yourself with "The Goodness" that will come from Reading and Downloading the data provided in @Realism 's Epic Post on the subject of "GROUNDS"...and Double Check the conditions and cleanliness of ALL the ones that might be in the B(+) Power to Ground (-) Locations he describes and Back-Track each for Tightness, Ensure No Corrosion or Broken Bonding Straps or Ground Wires have been compromised:

Sometimes... having ANY Poor Grounds or Misbehaving (Shorting) Modules will Wreak HAVOC on other Components that require a steady diet of Proper DC Voltage. IF that system also has the means to Play CDs... then Remove that Radio-CD Unit completely from the dash and then, Give it a *Shake Test* and investigate further if you can hear or see anything rattling around loose inside. Also... Remember that the Class 2 Network, Single Wire Data-Bus in these Vehicles can ALSO Go Sideways if even ONE MODULE suffers with Power or Ground Issues.

In some cases... Kids (and Drunks) will experiment by dropping everything from Hair Barrettes, Bobby Pins to Paper Clips and even Coins in through the CD Platter Feed Door... and then later on, the Vibrations (Highway Harmonics) being generated whenever moving at Highway Speed might jounce them around just enough to cause a Momentary "Short Circuit" and cause the Radio System to perform a RESET. :>)

Last edited:
Reactions: TobyP

TobyP

Original poster
Jan 26, 2023
New Mexico
Take some time to imbue yourself with "The Goodness" that will come from Reading and Downloading the data provided in @Realism 's Epic Post on GROUNDS...and Double Check the conditions and cleanliness of ALL the ones that might be in the B(+) Power to Ground (-) Locations he describes and Back-Track each for Tightness, Ensure No Corrosion or Broken Bonding Straps or Ground Wires have been compromised:

Sometimes... having ANY Poor Grounds or Misbehaving (Shorting) Modules will Wreak HAVOC on other Components that require a steady diet of Proper DC Voltage. IF that system also has the means to Play CDs... then Remove that Radio-CD Unit completely from the dash and then, Give it a *Shake Test* and investigate further if you can hear or see anything rattling around loose inside. Also... Remember that the Class 2 Network, Single Wire Data-Bus in these Vehicles can ALSO Go Sideways if even ONE MODULE suffers with Power or Ground Issues.

In some cases... Kids (and Drunks) will experiment by dropping everything from Hair Barrettes, Bobby Pins to Paper Clips and even Coins in through the CD Platter Feed Door... and then later on, the Vibrations (Highway Harmonics) being generated whenever moving at Highway Speed might jounce them around just enough to cause a Momentary "Short Circuit" and cause the Radio System to perform a RESET. :>)
Thanks for the idea, I didn't think about grounding issues to other modules. I checked grounding in the harness itself, I'll give the others a look this weekend. Class 2-a blessing and a curse 🙄
Definitely no shenanigans of things getting dropped in the unit, had it since new/ installed myself, no kids here.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online