rack and pinion upgrade

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
My steering wheel is starting to get really sloppy. Sometimes when I brake it pulls to left. I know I need new tie rods, inner and outer and a new boot on drivers side. All together I can get the parts for around $90. I have an 02 with 14mm threads. While studying up for what to do I found a complete 09 16mm rack and pinion for $220 from Detroit axle. I would like to just spend the extra money and buy the newer version.
I would just like to know if
A) anyone uses Detroit axle, what is the quality.
B) anyone has insight on a rack upgrade to a newer unit.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think @HARDTRAILZ uses Detroit axle hubs on his rig. They last as long as any other he's said iirc.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I think the tbss and Saab 9-7x aero had a quicker steering ratio, if that's the kind of upgrade your looking for....

I'd think the rack would bolt up physically, for any of the gmt360's

Reactions: Daniel417

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The SS has the quickest, next is the Saab (Aero or not, they're the same). Might be more expensive due to rarity. Replacing the rack is a fair bit of work but it would be a real piss off if you just replace parts and it craps out later. You might need to replace the pressure line as the seal changed in the rack.

Reactions: stickypoop

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
I only planned on upgrading to 16mm. But I would like a better steering ratio. Thanks for the info. And I looked into replacing pump to rack and rack to cooler lines. I got a good deal on cheap 14 mm. So I'm replacing tie rods now. Later I'll do entire setup.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Going from 14 to 16mm only means the thread size of the outer tie rods got bigger. That's all. Don't think it was a safety issue or it would have been a recall. I think it was just to standardize sizes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online