Questions about LED headlamps.

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to improve the lighting of my 07 LT. I drive a lot of dark back country roads and I am looking to get getter lighting. I am looking to get some info on LED headlights. I have gone through DFWWIZ LED headlight thread but I still have some questions.

I know it is a really bad idea to put HIDs in our halogen reflectors. Does that apply to LED bulbs as well?

Is icing up a big issue with the LED bulbs? I live in the Great Northeast and we are entering snow season.

What set ups are you guys running? LED highs, lows, fogs? Combinations of the three?

Thank you all for the time. Have a great weekend!

Respectfully,
George D.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
While putting HIDs and LEDs into reflector bowl style headlights does create glare that isn't present with halogen bulbs, it's not as dramatic as some make it seem. It's not like you're driving around with laser pointers, pointed directly into driver's eyes.

Granted some people are more sensitive to light than others, but down here, not only do I see tons of people with PNP HIDs all the time, but cops roll right past them without a second look.

Ideally, you'd like to either buy off the shelf projector headlight assemblies, or do a retrofit yourself. It may seem daunting at first, but a lot of members have done it, and there are plenty of us around here that will help talk you through it and answer questions.

These threads are good references.

http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/members-projector-retrofits.12778/

http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/blckshdws-projector-retrofit-builds.12300/

Reactions: richphotos

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have tried a BUNCH of different headlight housings and bulbs. I would take a HID setup over an LED anyday. Any off the shelf "projectors" for us rather sucka dn you should do a real retrofit or buy some done.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
I've got LED in my wife's Mitsubishi Outlander and my Envoy for a few years now. Upgraded from HID.

The Outlander has factory projectors. The light pattern is identical to OEM. Headlight height is set as per factory. Never had anyone flash lights at us or had cops show concern.

The Envoy of course does not have projectors and so I've lowered the height adjustment a wee bit as a courtesy. Never had anyone flash lights at me.

LEDs are always instant on, no flicker even when very cold. Their is next to no head from the LEDs so yes, snow will build up on the headlights. Not much worse than OEM. Didn't have much problem with snow when we ran HIDs lol.

FYI, use LED bulbs that use a braided flexible heat sink. The ones with fixed heat sinks will likely not work without cutting up the headlight housing.

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Sorry for the delay getting back. Thank you all for the info. It will give me a lot to research to do over the holiday weekend! Merry Christmas everyone!

Reactions: Bow_Tied

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I have DFWWIZ's LEDs in the high beams of my Malibu, and in my opinion they would be WAY too bright for low beams. They are pretty crazy. I do however enjoy the occasional person that flashes at my HID low beams. They tend to regret that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online