NEED HELP Questionable Play in Water Pump

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, my thermostat is junk. I have to wait until next week to do the replacement (none of my local parts stores had one and I wasn't feeling a 55 mile drive to get one, so Amazon Prime to the rescue) I changed out my belt tensioner last night and noticed there was some considerable play in the water pump. Unfortunately, I'm rather uneducated with this and my mechanic took today off. I can't see any seepage, but it doesn't mean there isn't any. It sounds like it's doing what another user called the "dance of death" quite similar to a rod knock condition but more or less closer to the valve cover but I'm really unsure. Listen closely to the audio.

See attached youtube video with my vulgarities intact.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
It's shot. It doesn't have to leak to be replaced. Mine did the same thing when I had my TB. This is actually not hard to replace. The hardest part is getting the clutch fan off.

Amazon Prime is the bomb. I've bought more parts through there in the past year than anywhere else.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Most of the time, any play in an accessory is a no go.

Water pump and gasket is on order. Will be here next week same as the thermostat. I'll be very happy when this thing doesn't sound as wretched as it does.

My friend actually said to me "It sounds like you're about to throw a rod"

"Nah that's the water pump, because GM has brilliant designers who don't understand a water pump should whine when it fails"

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.