Question on Oil Change

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
Wanted to get the wise opinions of my fellow forumites here on an oil based question. Changed out my oil two days ago since it was overdue. Purchased 7 quarts of 5-30W Mobile 1 full synthetic and a Mobile 1 filter. I'm pretty sure that all the oil changes it had before I got it and started the upkeep were conventional and cheap Fram filters. This could be its first switch from conventional to full synthetic.
Let the oil pan drain for like 10 minutes till it was barely dripping, pulled the filter off (btw, wow, no clearance for oil wrenches). I added 5 quarts of new oil in, gave it a few minutes and checked the dip stick (yellow bulb one) and it was at the L mark, started the envoy so the filter would fill and then added 3/4 of a quart. Checked dipstick and even though the thing is almost impossible for me to read it looks like it is over filled, but Im not sure. Gauged the old oil that came out and its not coming up to what our I6 engine call for. Driving around it feels sluggish like too much oil maybe, but Im not getting aeration and engine sounds a little different at idle. Kind of like I have to give more pressure on the gas pedal and the engine is wanting to decrease speed quicker and resistant to going.
Would there be a reason why I didnt get all 7 quarts out when I drained? Im up for replacing the oil dipstick to keep better checks on the oil level since its so hard to detect the actual level, every time I've ever checked (now and in past) it always looks like its over the top and up the rod. Only one I can find is one made by Dorman, which is a traditional hash mark one, has anyone had any experience with this? Would be nice if there was a way to fix the OE dipstick so its readable.
For peace of mind, I'm wanting to make sure the oil level is where I think its at and not over filled

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've always dumped nearly a quart into the filter to prefill it, then dumped that remaining amount plus the next 7 quarts in. Always read correctly on my 02.

You may not have gotten all 7 quarts out because of:
1) It used/leaked some of that oil (mine would use about a quart after 10k miles)
2) It wasn't filled with 7 quarts in the first place

I didn't find the OE dipstick to be all that difficult to read, once I cleaned it up. Mine had some gunk on it at first.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The plastic tipped dipstick was terrible to read correctly (for me anyway) so I grabbed a metal tipped one from a later year. Much better. Real cheap at pick-a-parts.

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
Did you run the engine to get the oil hot before you drained it? Mine always takes a little more than six quarts.

Yup. Had just finished coming back from parts store.

I've always dumped nearly a quart into the filter to prefill it, then dumped that remaining amount plus the next 7 quarts in. Always read correctly on my 02.

1) It used/leaked some of that oil (mine would use about a quart after 10k miles)

I didn't find the OE dipstick to be all that difficult to read, once I cleaned it up. Mine had some gunk on it at first.

Haven't noticed any oil burning and no oil leaks to date. 10K miles wow. and here I was getting ancy because its been 6k.
Thinking option B here, even though the stick looked like full, then again it is hard to see. Never noticed any issues.
What did you clean yours up with? Thought about taking sand paper to it, but didnt want to risk particles causing issues. , nothing else seemed to work well.

Have one coming in to parts store tomorrow, solid metal design. I will compare size before checking with it. I had the junkyard diving idea, but seems I'm not the only one who wanted to replace it - 8 TB/Voys around me and not a one with a dipstick. Oil oil everywhere, but not a stick to dip.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I just wiped it down with some cleaner and a shop towel to get some staining off it to make it easier to read. Didn't have a problem after that.

I followed the OLM on my 02 so oil changes were usually around 10k but back when I used to drive a ridiculous amount of highway I'd get 12k or even all the way up to 14k a few times before the light would kick on. Previously I would never have trusted that, but after reading case after case of the OLM being tested and proven right I figured it is probably OK, especially since I ran Mobil 1 all the time. 215k on that engine, only used/leaked about a quart every 10k miles, and always ran great. Still does, just the frame rotted out from underneath the thing (along with the body, PS lines, etc etc) so it became a parts truck.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Yeah, I hated the yellow dipstick. I bought the metal version on eBay from a later year model. Still a little iffy to tell the level but better. I prefer the blade one but none fit. They (whom ever "they" is) suggest to check the oil right before you start it for the day.

As for not getting all the 7qts of oil, there's some in the oil filter, some gets burned up and if you're familiar with flashpoint of oil, it may evaporate... blow by, or maybe a leak into the spark plug well which is what I have right now.

But regardless, when you change the oil in a 4200 Vortec I6, you have to put in the 7quarts back in even though you never had it come out in the first place.

With my Amsoil Bypass system I have to put in 10 quarts :-0

Reactions: Redbeard

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
The stain seems more or less permanent on it. Idea crossed my mind to take top layer off and smooth it out, cutting my own cross hatching into it, but . . .
I know we dont view Dorman products as decent, but I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with the replacement. Good cross hatching and the length is flexible braided cable. Nice, since the original part had a bit of a bend on it.

Checked with old dipstick = looks like might have been over filled.
Checked with new dipstick = I'm about 1 1/2 quarts low.

Assumption: Shop made the same visual error and I have spent the last 6,000 miles running with 5-6 Quarts only.

Sluggishness: Yeah, tossing calipers and installing all new brake components.

I guess this is one of those "what in the **** were the engineers thinking" moments. Plastic colored dipstick - nothing can go wrong, right?

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011

X2, I found if I also held it under a shop light I could easily see the reflection of the oil.

I always just put the requisite 7 quarts in my TB when I had it. My Sierra doesn't show on the stick properly after and oil change. I read recently to not question it, just put the required 6 quarts in and not worry about it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
X2, I found if I also held it under a shop light I could easily see the reflection of the oil.

I always just put the requisite 7 quarts in my TB when I had it. My Sierra doesn't show on the stick properly after and oil change. I read recently to not question it, just put the required 6 quarts in and not worry about it.

You may have the wrong dipstick like my 07 did as well. Is your dipstick twisted or straight? If it is straight, it is the wrong one.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
You may have the wrong dipstick like my 07 did as well. Is your dipstick twisted or straight? If it is straight, it is the wrong one.

It's twisted. I should have qualified what I said. It'll read properly after running it a bit and letting it settle again. My driveway has a slight slope, and for some reason the Sierra seems more sensitive to needing to be perfectly level.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online